Leia white cape - real or fake?

Furtin

Padawan
Guys I need your help on this one, since I coulsn't find anything helpful on the net (imperialgunnery images are too small...)

It's a HK Leia.
The cape has a slight texture to it but not a crosshatch like my VC Jawa cape, more like a smooth grainy texture.
It's more glossy on the inside, confronted to the somehow matte outside.

I just want to know, if it's the real deal.
Please check out the images and thanks for your help! :)
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,049

Furtin

Padawan
Hi mumbo - not as zippy as the VC Jawa cape. It makes a more silent noise (kind of a grainy, rough zippy noise), only on the outside that is.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Hi Furtin...

I remember signing up here for help with a suspected repro cape many moons ago. I never came to a conclusion in the end, I can't pass it on as I am not 100% on it, can't call out the seller as I am not 100% on it.

I would look at the thickness and flexibility compare to other cloaks you have as IIRC not all capes zip, and line it up against another Leia cape for size.

Good luck :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi mate, as far as I know it does not make any zip sound on one side and on the other side the orginal make a zip sound. The zip sound can be a little different on the capes.

I have a few capes that does not make the zip sound, that I have in a little bag. Because I do not know if they are real.

I have found a lot of capes in childhood collections but never capes that does not make the zip sound.

Glad we can open the talk again about capes :D

Furtin

Padawan
Well thanks guys. I already imagined that it wont be an easy task :wink:

My childhood Leia has lost its cape decades ago, so there goes my chance...
I'll probably buy a couple and compare them with the one I've got and hope for the best.

Just to have a point of reference, is it the same thikness of the sand people cape? If so, it would be cheaper to buy a couple of them :lol:

Oh well.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
There are different sizes of those capes, if you place them on each other then you will some are larger or smaller than others.

I also think there is thin and thick capes.

It is the same with vader cape, ben cape, lando cape, sandpeople cape and leia bespin cape.

Did you rub your nail up and down fast on the coat on both sides ? sometimes it does not make the sound if you do it slow other times it can be hard to hear the sound on some places on the cape. So try some different places on the cape :wink:

Furtin

Padawan
Haha, I will try again. Thanks so far. Maybe I need to buy one repro cape from one of those ebay scumbags, just to see a negative compared to mine?! Dang, am I smart or what :lol:

Btw. Saw your website, great job you did there.

Now I am wondering, if you are the danish guy who momentarily sells a couple of loose, nice vintage figures. Never mind, if not, mate!

Pomse2001

Grand Master

Maybe a guy on the forum have a original cape to sell, have you tried to see in the sale thread or write about it in the want thread ?

Sometimes I sell or trade, but I am not selling on ebay :lol:

Furtin

Padawan
I think, that I may have got a Taiwan cape, as they are of a "non-zipping" material and thinner than the HK ones. At least, that's what I heard.

Saw an original HK cape and it defenitely has the pattern to make our beloved "zippy" sound.

I think I'm on it now but need to make some more purchases to gain more knowledge ... 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I have heard the same that it is a taiwan cape :? I just need to know a lot more about it before I thrust those capes are real :)

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
I have a few capes that does not make the zip sound, that I have in a little bag. Because I do not know if they are real.

I have found a lot of capes in childhood collections but never capes that does not make the zip sound.

:lol: I have a similar bag, only 3 capes in it though.

I thought Hoth Trooper capes had a non zipping variant that pops up quite often?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
JuniorChubb said:
Pomse2001 said:

I thought Hoth Trooper capes had a non zipping variant that pops up quite often?

:lol: I also think there is 3 capes in my bag a leia, tusken and vader cape no sound :lol:

I have some different hoth trooper capes from childhood collections. I will test the sound on them for you :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
JuniorChubb said:
Pomse2001 said:

Ok I have looked at the Hoth stormie capes I have from danish childhood collections. The ones from coo figures I have make the zip sound, but the ones from no coo figures I have does not make any zip sound. They do also not feel like the same or look like the same.

Furtin

Padawan
Thats interesting, Lars. I'm keenly waiting till my Leias arrive but it will take some time, since I bought a Taiwan COO from canada and a couple nice, white HK from (guess where) Denmark :D

The moment they arrive, I'll make large macro shots of the different capes and let you know what I found out ... 8)

What I aint going to do, is buy some repro crap (at least not intentional)!

walkie

Sith Lord
Looking forward to your finding. I have several HK leia's with zippy capes, but my TW leia came bare. :(

I've heard that TW capes do not make the zippy noise but don't own one to try.

Furtin

Padawan
Both sellers have sworn that both, the HK capes and the Taiwan capes, are the original ones...

The Taiwan Leia wasnt in mint condition, so there is some hope that its the real deal.

I'll keep you updated, as soon as I get them. :D

Furtin

Padawan
First batch of HK Leias arrived today. Both have identical capes. Both have a rough texture on the outside and the pattern on the inside which easy makes our beloved zippy sound :D

Since I need to wait for my "original" Taiwan caped Leia, I show a closeup from the cape that is in question for me. It has the same rough texture inside and outside and could either be Taiwan or repro.

We will see…

Attachments

• LeiaCape_HK_Pattern_inside.jpg
    LeiaCape_HK_Pattern_inside.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 948
  • LeiaCape_HK_outside.jpg
    LeiaCape_HK_outside.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 949
  • LeiaCape_TWorRepro_inside.jpg
    LeiaCape_TWorRepro_inside.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 949
  • LeiaCape_TWorRepro_outside.jpg
    LeiaCape_TWorRepro_outside.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 960

Furtin

Padawan
Here is the Taiwan Cape. It doesn't have the cross hatch pattern of the HK Cape (or VC Jawa) and doesn't make a zipping sound.

According to imperialgunnery it has a slight ridged effect like the sandpeople cape.

Attachments

• TAIWAN_CAPE.jpg
    TAIWAN_CAPE.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 938
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom