Vinyl Cape Repair Guide

gustie

Sith Lord
had a bit of time to spare so i made this since i recently got a nice bulk load of figures.

as you can see the capes look a bit "tired"
before1.jpg

The armholes have mis-shaped and one torn
before2.jpg

The Hoth Stormtrooper cape slits have mis-shaped and wont hold on properly
before3.jpg

so its time to make them look better :)

you will need...

boiling water in a jug/pan/sink
flat surface (i used a placemat)
sponge
washing up liquid
tea towel

1- pop the TOP of the cape into the hot water for about 4 seconds
dip1.jpg

2- place on flat surface and SMOOTH the cape removing the trapped air/water underneath
flatten1.jpg

3- Repeat step 1 holding the BOTTOM of the cape in the water for about 4 seconds
dip2.jpg

4- Repeat step 2 and smooth out again
flatten2.jpg

5- While the cape is still stuck to the flat surface due to the water give it a once over with a sponge and washing up liquid.
clean.jpg

6- Dry off carefully with a tea towel
dry.jpg

And thats it!

You can see the difference in the hoth stormtrooper slits...
compare1.jpg

Also the armhole rip has been ironed out so you wont notice it so much.
finish2.jpg

and heres all four finished....
finish1.jpg

compared too...
before1.jpg

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
WOW! That is trick I have never seen. Looks like it works quite well. Do they stay that way after they cool down??? I know sometimes vinyl and plastic have memory.

gustie

Sith Lord
they usually hold very well

sometimes they slightly curve back but the holes and slits stay like new again

this method can uncrease the armholes nicely when they get flared open from being on the arms and will return to the original hole size

01AB

Jedi Knight
Was trying to think of other 'how to's, but I'm sure most know the 'boiling water to straighten limbs' one, a way of whitening discoloured Stormtroopers/Wampas etc would be cool but I guess thats nigh on impossible...
Does anyone know of a way to fix wobbly/loose limbs other than wrapping cotton round/inbetween the joints (I remember doing this to an old Hammerhead when I was a kid)?

I'm off to straighten my very bendy wicket spear whilst the wife watches 'Skins'.

gustie

Sith Lord
well...

loose limbs can be fixed...

Step 1

Boil the limb for 1 minute.

Step 2

Remove the limb from the hot water then QUICKLY compress the post into the limb on a flat surface. OR you can use pliers to compress the post or to hold it in place, but be careful the metal doesn't damage the limb.

Step 3

While compressed quickly dunk limb in ice water for 1 minute. lots of ice cubes in it!

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
You can remove Kenner "Crystalization" from carded figures by placing them in direct sunlight for about 45 minutes. This will kill this plastic mold condition seen on some kenner figures and will not harm the blister.

Jedi83

Padawan
Like O1AB says does anybody know how to get rid of faded storm troopers, wampas etx. I have a few troopers who have a nice custard coloured body armour that I woudent mind getting back to the original white. And why does it only seem to affect the body area?

gustie

Sith Lord
the torso's are ABS plastic and the limbs are PVC generally.

The yellowing is irriversable as its a breakdown in the plastic that turns it yellow.

read this

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1942&p=26388&hilit=yellowing#p26388

Jedi83

Padawan
Cheers Gustie, Oh by the way nice capes. I will be giving it ago. Oh and I still need to send you a pic of the Lando I bought last month they we thought the cape was a repo. I did a post on it. I think its repo.

I am gonna do a bit of testing to see if I can get rid of this custard yellow defect. Any ideas? I though soaking a trooper in bleach, but I didnt want to remove the black pinted areas?

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
yeah bleech is a waste of time i left a wampa in and got no joy ,well it did clean it uip a treat just didnnt effect the yellowing

Joe

Grand Master
Just a bump on this because I want to try it out soon and keep forgetting where it is :lol:

*bumps for himself

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
I did my VC jawa cape a couple off months ago in a similar method using a hairdryer instead off hot water, this works perfectly well (and fast) although hot water is a safer method.

Cheers

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom