Is there a way to check for repainting?

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Anyone know If there is a surefire way to detect if a figure has been repainted? Just curious as I've been offered some figures that look a little too good. Cheers. :)

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Touch ups usually show up under a black light. Failing that, a strong magnifying glass and good light should show it up. Of course, both methods rely on having them in hand.

Chris

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
TK-7785 said:
Touch ups usually show up under a black light. Failing that, a strong magnifying glass and good light should show it up. Of course, both methods rely on having them in hand.

Chris
He's local so I will be able to look them over first. :) will take my loupe and a uv light. :) cheers for the info. Had never thought of trying a uv light. I imagine they probably use simular techniques when grading loose figures.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
It's not 100% guaranteed to catch it, but my experience is that it usually shows up given the different chemical make up of the paints used back in the factory compared to what most people use for touch ups; water based model paints, for example. I say water based specifically because if enamel paints are used on the softer plastic of the head and limbs it will remain tacky and never really set properly. Which is an easier tell tale in its self.

Chris

tobeshadow

Padawan
A lot of the loose beaters I buy have been touched up in various ways. I usually soak them for ten mins in some warm water unless they have stickers or attached soft goods. If it's acrylic model paint or Sharpie, it usually starts to flake/fade almost immediately and as Chris mentioned, you just know if it's oil based paint by the tackiness!

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
Very handy little tool, I have a little one on my keyring. Very good for testing ww2 period US patches for modern fibres (repros/modern glow) as well as for thread used to sew them onto period uniforms and so on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom