You could try a small amount of lighter fluid applied to kitchen roll and try cleaning it off with that. The lighter fluid will evaporate but I would try it on a small are first and use a small amount.
Hi thanks for the replies it was a security scout sticker, and it was in the correct box after all. perhaps i was a bit mad but i dabbed bleach with a small paint brush on the worse parts and it seems to have done the trick. As i didnt really want anything spreading to the box, or it getting worse if i put it in sealed plastic enverlope. Paul