UK customs - Info that might help!!

stevemac1976

Jedi Master
All, had an issue a few days ago where I ended up paying over £70 for import fees and handling fees for an item that only cost me £180. I was determined this time to appeal it and try and get some money back from the HMRC as I pay enough bloody taxes as it is.

So I spent some time on the phone today and went through a few different departments having my item classified (over the phone) and then getting back to the original advisors who have not told me that I have well over paid what was due for the item and I should get some (not all) back.

So, this is what you need to know. All "collectibles" as long as they are not brand new items are classified by HMRC under code 9705000090 and the most you should have to pay to bring it into this country is 5% of the overall value (which includes the declared shipping costs). On top of this you will still have to pay the shipping company's handling fees (mine was Parcelforce which is currently £13.50)

So what else - As i knew i was going to appeal i made sure i had plenty of photographic evidence of the parcel and the contents as I opened it and kept all of the emails, ebay and paypal details of the whole transaction.

I have put together a letter, including the pics and printouts and sent it off to the Hub as directed by the advisors.

Dont know what I will get back but it is always good to know that you should only pay 5% of the value for a Star Wars collectible toy.

I will update here once I get a decision back and hopefully a little cheque..

Steve

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
That's good news for UK collectors Steve. Keep us posted.

Might try an appeal next time myself because I think that when you buy from another collector (who is not a business), why on earth should the item be taxed with VAT?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Great info mate, good luck with the appeal!
I'm ****ing sick of getting hit with VAT anytime I buy something from outside the UK. I wouldn't mind so much if I could reclaim it or IF I was a business and was using the item in my day to day work, but I'm not. I'm getting shafted for no discernable reason!

Pilgrim_uk

Youngling
Well dont buy anything over £18 then. :D You might be sick but you are not getting totally shafted the only part you are getting shafted by is the royal mails £8 fee. We have to pay it so British companies/sellers can have an advantage over foreign companies\sellers its basic economics mate. We would be an a huge shithole of a mess if it was not in place. Least you are in a country we have the right to moan about it.

Interesting stuff about the Collectibles. Keup us updated.

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Good info Steve and best of luck with the appeal pal.
I often wonder how they arrive at the amounts they do, I guess this explains it.
I guess it also depends on how your seller marks the package?
I've just had a parcel from the States and there was a £40 VAT charge. Sad thing is I can't appeal as that was 5% of the cost.
Keep us updated Steve as to how u go on.

Paul-itoy

Jedi Knight
If it all works out in your favour maybe the thread could be stickied. There's some good info in the first post and it'd save searching for it in future.

itfciain

Grand Master
Hi Steve

Have you had any joy with this ?

Ive just had a RM note saying I owe then £45.00 for charges. The most expensive item I have bought recently from the States was only came to a total of $238.00 so cant see how it should be £45.00 - esp if the 5% rule applies.

If you won your appeal then I might have a go as well.

Cheers
Iain

PGowdy

Grand Master
I was just gonna point you towards this thread following the comment you left on t'other thread...
30% is insane!! Unbelievable. I would contest the **** out of that if i were you Jason.

burnsy

Sith Lord
Good info Steve.

Good luck with your appeal mate.
I hate finding those bloody Parcelforce letters on the mat!

stevemac1976

Jedi Master
Well I was starting to think that this was going to go nowhere but received a letter the other day which has reviewed my case and they have agreed to refund me £48 of the overall charge.

Absolute result - will be receiving a cheque in the next 30 days.

Steve

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom