Advice/tips for Celebration Chicago?

BikerScout74

Padawan
Anyone care to state some do's and don'ts based their previous experience of attending big conventions/ SW celebrations Stateside?

Celebration Chicago will be my first big event on the other side of the pond. Really looking forward to it, but not looking forward to the long queues and masses of people.

Also, I'm particularly interested to find out is what experiences people have had of returning to the UK from the US after such events with large hauls of Star Wars collectabiles. Has anyone been hit with heavy VAT/excise duties by HMRC?

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
kinda depends what you mean by large haul.

if you are picking up one of the HasLab Sail Barges then i'd say you'll get stopped.....but you'd probably be fine walking through with a £1000 MOC.

It's just down to levels really.

If you are looking at buying large items it might be worth asking the seller if they offer shipping or maybe even do it yourself at a post office/dhl/fedex store in Chicago if you have time.

BikerScout74

Padawan
Thanks for the reply Rob. Unfortunately, I can't afford anything like a sail barge or a MOC. LOL. But, I do plan on bringing back some loose vintage items, figures, creatures and the like. Plus some other smallish items like modern Black Series, T shirts, badges etc. Should all fit in my case. I'm planning to go over with an almost empty suitcase LOL!

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
half my suitcase coming back from Orlando was full of swag I got from other attendees......hope you have a great time

MarkG

Jedi Master
I did NYCC a few years back... my first and currently only overseas convention.

Not sure how Chicago tickets go, but I picked mine up from the venue the day before (didn't have to queue then either).. however, the queue to get into the venue on the day was a good 4+ blocks walk. Didn't seem to take too long though as got chatting with a few US guys on the way.. killed the time nicely.

Picked up a few MOCs there, and got them home no problem... always worth grabbing anything free too. :D

Gutted I missed out on this one, as off to Chicago the end of May instead...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom