SPOILERS!!! Maz Kanata

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
What are your thoughts on the character Maz Kanata..?

Kanata, a former pirate, aged a plenty and owner of the castle-come-cantina on Takodana, was not in the new movie much...but showed enough to suggest a significant role in the story.

She was barely introduced to Rey when the First Order arrived in pursuit of BB-8 and, in typical fashion, laid waste to the entire site. So viewers were left wondering "who is she..or what part does she play in all of this..?"

I believe that Abrams has worked it very nicely...leaving it relatively untouched as we head toward Episode VIII...which could be where we will experience a quiet scene involving Rey and Maz Kanata, where the latter shall explain plenty to the new heroine.

In my opinion, although many were probably left wondering why.?.who.?.what.?.a little...J.J.Abrams covered the storyline well by having the attack take place before there was time for coffee and a chat...

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
Richard_H said:
I'm not sure we'll see much of her. I think they're planning huge tie-ins with novels and comics which will fill a lot of gaps in.

That would certainly fill in any gaps Richard...I'd like to see a scene such as I imagined earlier though...quite like the (albeit brief) taste of the character we saw...

Carl

lejackal

Grand Master
I think there was supposed to be something like 30 plus publications released from September to the release including Aftermath and comics that explain various new bits of history that should now be considered canon. Not read any of them but will get Aftermath shortly.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
I think there was supposed to be something like 30 plus publications released from September to the release including Aftermath and comics that explain various new bits of history that should now be considered canon. Not read any of them but will get Aftermath shortly.

Aftermath was a very difficult read for me. From what I can remember there's only a couple of vague references to the new film and it's pretty disjointed and it took me ages to finish it. Looking at the reviews most other people thought the same.

Perhaps it'll make more sense as we delve into the new SW universe.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Richard_H said:
I'm not sure we'll see much of her. I think they're planning huge tie-ins with novels and comics which will fill a lot of gaps in.

This is, quite honestly, my biggest issue with Disney having the rights. The films should at least be able to stand on their own, without resorting to blatant money-milking tactics like leaving explanations to other media to flesh out.

Unrelated to TFA specifically, I think any film that needs to be fleshed out offscreen shows poor skills on the part of the producers/directors/writers in getting a coherent movie on the screen.

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom