TFA Destroys Box Office

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Domestic US and Internationally. Even without China.

Made more money in one weekend than most films do in a full release.

Apparently December didn't effect gross like some had suggested.

"There's a new king in town.

After apparently falling short of "Jurassic World's" record global launch of $524.9 million, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" has overtaken the dinosaur thriller to set a new high-water mark for a worldwide debut.

Final numbers are still being tallied, but in an interview with Bloomberg on Monday morning, Disney chief Bob Iger suggested that receipts for the "Star Wars" sequel had come in higher than initial estimates had suggested. It now appears that the film will have hit a global record of $528 million. Disney originally suggested the film's global tally would be $517 million, but domestic numbers are higher than anticipated, clocking in at roughly $247 million.

That's an incredible weekend," Iger told Bloomberg, adding, "What this really does is it sets this great franchise up for far more value creation over a longer period of time for the company."

What's particularly impressive is that the figure was achieved without the help of China, the world's second biggest market for film. "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" doesn't debut in the People's Republic until Jan. 9. "Jurassic World" made more than $90 million from China during its opening weekend.

Iger stressed that "Star Wars" was "more than a movie," because the film's characters and stories appear on lunch boxes, toylines and theme park rides. That merchandising potential is part of the reason that Disney spent more than $4 billion buying LucasFilm in 2012.

"'Star Wars,' I've said a number of times, I think is probably the most valuable, maybe even the most important mythology created in our time," the Disney chief said.

Even without China, "Star Wars" enjoyed a massive global rollout. The film debuted on over 30,000 screens internationally, scoring first place finishes in every major market where it debuted with the exception of Korea and Vietnam."

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/star-wars-the-force-awakens-record-box-office-1201665985/

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Go TFA :)

I'm pleased it knocks the dinosaur flick into second place. I just do not get the attraction for that franchise; first one was great but after that....meh.

Best part of that statement from Iger is something I had never considered about SW before; "the most important mythology created in our time". So true.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
About time a Star Wars film flexed it's muscles like this, just needed Disney to spend 3 years brain washing everyone first. This is the film your looking for.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
And here's me to bring it back into perspective. ;)

And no, this isn't even negativity about the movie. It's looking at the 'facts' with a more detailed eye, and not just the surface amount that is reported in the headlines, and trying to be as unbiased as possible.

Grant_C said:
Domestic US and Internationally. Even without China.

Made more money in one weekend than most films do in a full release.

Apparently December didn't effect gross like some had suggested.

"There's a new king in town.

After apparently falling short of "Jurassic World's" record global launch of $524.9 million, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" has overtaken the dinosaur thriller to set a new high-water mark for a worldwide debut.

Final numbers are still being tallied, but in an interview with Bloomberg on Monday morning, Disney chief Bob Iger suggested that receipts for the "Star Wars" sequel had come in higher than initial estimates had suggested. It now appears that the film will have hit a global record of $528 million. Disney originally suggested the film's global tally would be $517 million, but domestic numbers are higher than anticipated, clocking in at roughly $247 million.

Yes, it smashed the opening weekend in North America. Very impressive. However, it had the equivalent of a 4-day weekend. No other movie has ever opened at 7pm the day BEFORE, and counted those totals to its "one day" gross. No other movie has shown "marathons" at $60 a piece, and counted that towards opening day totals. So, right from the start, its totals were given a $47 million boost that no other movie had an opportunity to equal, especially important considering its Friday total was only $38 million ahead of Jurassic World with that bonus. Open it at midnight like the others, and therefore subtract that $47 million - and you get a much lower weekend total.

So what's fair?

Compare head to head Saturday and Sunday, where 24 hours of box office actually means 24 hours of box office. On Saturday, Jurassic World still rules, slightly with a $1 million advantage. On Sunday, it took #1 from JW by a whole $3 million. That suggests it's running neck and neck with JW in the early days, with each one sharing the lead Saturday and Sunday.

Internationally, it did NOT hit #1 of all time. Not even #2. JW is #1 with $316 million in overseas ticket sales. Harry Potter is #2 at $314 million. TFA is #3, with $281 million - a heavy $35 million off the lead. Sure, you counter with JW opening in China - and that gets negated by TFA opening a day earlier in North America, and 2-3 days earlier in Europe. I have demonstrated in the past that historically, only about 55% of any Star Wars worldwide gross comes from international - and the early going suggests this is not much different.

It was the killer North American opening that has given it a very slight $4 million lead into #1 worldwide total.

Now, the point was made that some said it would suffer from a December opening. That's most likely a shot at me. Doesn't matter, as it's untrue. I said it would have a magnificent opening weekend, and that is true. I said it would probably have a great second weekend - although Christmas Day falling on a Friday is going to cut into those totals next week, and New Year's will take a cut away the following week. What I REALLY said was that a December opening was going to negatively affect its total run - and I stand by that. It'll do great over the Christmas holidays, but in January, kids are back to school, and people are back to work. That takes a SERIOUS bite out of matinee and late evening showings, and historically, this is why blockbusters are reserved for summer releases.

Also factor in, how many of you guys have seen this 2+ times already? The opening weekend numbers were boosted by uber SW fans going multiple times, some boasting 5 times or more in the first few days. Unless you guys plan on going 3-5 times a week for the duration of its run, it's final total is going to rely on the general public retaining interest. I liked JW, but was surprised at how it lasted long term. The question now is really if TFA can match that long term interest from the general public. There is lots of love on fan boards and all the people we know on FB in our friend's lists, but there is also a lot of people underwhelmed too. Forget about my own opinions, the official review thread on rebelscum is full of supposed "haters" like myself. If it can't, then it'll still be huge, but will have a hard time earning another $400 million to beat JW for its final total.

I congratulate you guys on "officially" having the #1 opening weekend in history. Now we get to see what kind of legs it has and how front loaded its final total will be.

Ian

PS. Hoping this will be taken as an unbiased reply as it is meant, and avoid all the hate I got for expressing my displeasure in the film itself. Also hoping to avoid all the "I don't care about the money" posts, as this thread is specifically about box office numbers.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Go TFA :)

I'm pleased it knocks the dinosaur flick into second place. I just do not get the attraction for that franchise; first one was great but after that....meh.

Agree. I really don't mind watching the Jurassic films, after all.. its dinosaurs. But I can never see why they are such massive hits because you know the plot and outcome. Maybe we just all love dinosaur flicks. Or maybe we just like watching the same thing..

so..

to make 50BILLION quid, I have a story premise..

DINOSAURS ON A DEATH STAR

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
I just want Disney to be successful with star wars and give me more Star Wars films, TV etc..

then i want to go to Disney World and fly a falcon, ride a rathtar, dance with a dianoga..

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
It's mind blowing.

And it didn't even open in China.

What a time to be a Star Wars fan. Can't believe it's all happening.

Especially with all the horror going on in the world at the moment. Mass shootings, terrorism, civil war, refugees swarming into Europe, climate change, austerity, black fish.

World needs Star Wars right now.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Nick_IoW said:
Wait... what? There was a Jurassic Park movie? Whyyy? lol. What ****-nuggets went to watch that??

Not me, still waiting for my neighbor to lend it me.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:
Does anyone actually care about all this?

Yes Ben.

That's why there is a thread on it.

It's kinda like when a trilogo Yak Face goes for £1000.

It's a way of gageing impact, and what will follow.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
Does anyone actually care about all this?

My dads bigger than your dad.

I'm pretty sure Disney investors care. $4 billion is going to look like the bargain of the millenium within a few years.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
naughtyjedi said:
I just want Disney to be successful with star wars and give me more Star Wars films, TV etc..

then i want to go to Disney World and fly a falcon, ride a rathtar, dance with a dianoga..

as long as we can hold hands on the rides... I am in. :D

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Up to $610,000.00 globally.

Spider-Man 2 2004 record falls for Monday's US domestic.

UK Monday record falls.

Soon it will be as much as VC Jawas.

x-pack

Grand Master
Yeh! Star Wars is back and there's more to come. I only wish people had embraced Dredd this much so we could have had more there as well. Can't win 'em all.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
x-pack said:
Yeh! Star Wars is back and there's more to come. I only wish people had embraced Dredd this much so we could have had more there as well. Can't win 'em all.

Same here. :? :lol:

_Lee_

Sith Lord
x-pack said:

Fooking well said :D

HE IS THE LAW!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom