SWFUK

TFA Destroys Box Office

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
kingshearer
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:48 am

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby kingshearer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:18 pm

I know I'll continue…The Rancor, Sarlacc Pit, The Emporer, Han's Return, Lando piloting the Falcon and dare I say it..the ewoks…okay I've went too far! My order is SW , ROTJ and ESB.
Ta, Brian

User avatar
Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:41 pm

Grant_C wrote:Be interested to see how Return of the Jedi would be received if it was released now.


People would over analyse the 'science' and logic behind it and rip the crap out of it.

Maybe us, dare I say it, slightly older collectors who grew up with still a whiff of the proper old school sci-fi lingering in culture. And by that I mean Dan Dare, Buck Rogers, and Flash Gordon. We perhaps appreciate the 'fantasy' aspect of Star Wars more than some.

Somebody was ripping on and overanalysing 'Starkiller' base the other day, and I just thought a/ it's called 'Starkiller' base, I mean this is definitely Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon style fantasy. And b/ actually Naboo I think was meant to be something like a hollow planet, with the Gungans living inside and the journey 'through the planet core'. So you have a fantasy universe where hollow planets can exist - it's all fantasy anyway, just go with it!

User avatar
Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 8327
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Grant_C » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Nearly $2 billion.

Read an article the other day on Deadline.com which said that currency exchange is poor at the moment because the dollar is strong. If The Force Awakens was released the same time at Avatar it would be at $2.5 billion.

I have no idea if that's true or how that is calculated. With 3D and IMAX, marathons etc, warping box office receipts, I think it would be better to gage the impact of a film by admissions instead.

You see, it's interesting to monitor this, so you can get some kind of understanding why loose red Snaggletooths go for £50 on auctions.

User avatar
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3984
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Palifan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Grant_C wrote:Nearly $2 billion.

Read an article the other day on Deadline.com which said that currency exchange is poor at the moment because the dollar is strong. If The Force Awakens was released the same time at Avatar it would be at $2.5 billion.

I have no idea if that's true or how that is calculated. With 3D and IMAX, marathons etc, warping box office receipts, I think it would be better to gage the impact of a film by admissions instead.

You see, it's interesting to monitor this, so you can get some kind of understanding why loose red Snaggletooths go for £50 on auctions.


I could analyze those figures all day and still make no sense of a 50 GBP Snaggletooth :lol:

Ian

User avatar
Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 8327
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Grant_C » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:42 pm

Fair point.

User avatar
theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5894
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby theforceuk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Reading through this thread, think it's done ok in the end. They should make more, at some point.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3435
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Cazza » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:59 am

Yeah, have heard they're thinking about it ;)

Should comfortably cross 2b, but don't think it will quite catch Titanic without some sort of rerelease, like a lot of big films ( inc Avatar and Titanic) get. Think Titanic made around $300m from its rerelease!

Read an estimate the other day that would already have it at $2.5b if it wasn't for the global deflation. It's done really well!
Collecting SW since 1980.
Image
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

User avatar
Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 8327
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Grant_C » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:27 pm

If it makes $910 US, that $150 more than Avatar.

Hang on, wasn't there something about Dinosaurs that we are suppose to pay close attention to?

They should give it a reissue with extra scenes like Avatar did.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3435
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Cazza » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Would absolutely love to see an extended version in the cinema 8) Apparently JJ doesn't Iike director's cuts though- hopefully he'll see the light.
Collecting SW since 1980.
Image
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3435
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Cazza » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:28 am

Collecting SW since 1980.
Image
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

r1hvy
New User
New User
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby r1hvy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:34 am

Did The Forca Awakens overtake the Avatar record in the end?
No Oscars tonight, not surprised really! :-/

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3435
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Cazza » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Smashed it in the US and UK. Not worldwide though. Not helped by the global deflation, although it still wouldn't have quite made it.
Collecting SW since 1980.
Image
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

kingshearer
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:48 am

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby kingshearer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:10 pm

r1hvy wrote:Did The Forca Awakens overtake the Avatar record in the end?
No Oscars tonight, not surprised really! :-/

Yer didn't even win the visual effects that Mad Max won 6 I must check it out on my android.
Ta, Brian

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3435
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Cazza » Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Nice to see TFA holding up well vs A:EG. EG smashed the opening weekend records and looks like it could catch Avatar worldwide. However, despite being miles ahead of TFA over the first week of release, both here and in the US, TFA's small drops have allowed it to reel Endgame in and it's now comfortably ahead in the US. TFA held onto its second weekend crown and the second week dailies are way ahead of Endgame's. EG's 3rd Friday was $16m, whereas TFA's was $34.4. Not sure about here, as box office numbers are more difficult to get hold of, but doubt very much now that EG will overtake TFA.

It just shows what an epic box office run TFA had- $936.6m US and £124m UK will take a lot of beating. Eventually, inflation will allow something to overtake it though. EPIV equates to around $1.4 billion in the US when adjusted for inflation!
Collecting SW since 1980.
Image
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

User avatar
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3984
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: TFA Destroys Box Office

Postby Palifan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:10 pm

Cazza wrote:Nice to see TFA holding up well vs A:EG. EG smashed the opening weekend records and looks like it could catch Avatar worldwide. However, despite being miles ahead of TFA over the first week of release, both here and in the US, TFA's small drops have allowed it to reel Endgame in and it's now comfortably ahead in the US. TFA held onto its second weekend crown and the second week dailies are way ahead of Endgame's. EG's 3rd Friday was $16m, whereas TFA's was $34.4. Not sure about here, as box office numbers are more difficult to get hold of, but doubt very much now that EG will overtake TFA.

It just shows what an epic box office run TFA had- $936.6m US and £124m UK will take a lot of beating. Eventually, inflation will allow something to overtake it though. EPIV equates to around $1.4 billion in the US when adjusted for inflation!


I've been looking at these figures also recently and think you're right about EG not being able to take TFA Box Office crown. We'll see how it all pans out but even though I did think EG was a satisfying end to the last 10 years of Marvel, I didn't feel that it was quite as rewatchable as Infinity War. Saying that though I spent 2 years working on Missing Link that was released 2 weeks before EG and it's completely tanked, I should have gone into VFX's!

Ian


Return to “Star Wars Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest