SWFUK

JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
TEEBO1979
Regular
Regular

Re: JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Postby TEEBO1979 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 pm

I thought it was excellent, apart from the music which I found odd at times. Also by the end even thou I knew they had to die ( as it would leave too many unanswered questions) I wished they had of survived. As has already been said Vader at the end was the cherry on the top.
Off to see it in 3D tomorrow.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:52 pm

Now that's a mother f#+}ing Star Wars film! :D
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

jedi_mister
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jedi_mister » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:57 pm

For me it was the best Star Wars film since Jedi. Nothing will ever touch the OT though. Definitely makes up for TFA which I didn't like at all.

Things I liked in this one:

1. Good range of characters.
  2. K2SO continued the strong tradition of comic-relief robots but with kick-ass ability. Nice touch.
  3. Loved the links to ANH. Dr Evazan/Walrusman. Original Red & Gold Squadron pilots. Death of original Red 5. Was that James Corden :D
  4. Tarkin and Leia CGI was a nice touch. I'm still dreaming of the day that they'll CGI all the original cast and create new Star Wars adventures featuring Luke, Han & Leia etc.
  5. Darth Vader scenes - awesome

Things I was not so hot on:

1. Opening sequence. Come on it's a Star Wars story so do the crawl or at least the Star Wars logo.
  2. Music was shite. Kept hearing half-finished Across the Stars for Jyn. Be brave and right something new.
  3. Agree with previous comment that the Star Destroyers weren't lit correctly and just looked fake.
  4. The CGI tentacle monster was pointless.
  5. Not enough air-time for our 2 favourite lovable droids.
  6. If AT-AT's can be destroyed by X-Wings then why wasn't the same strategy used in the Battle of Hoth ?
  7. Where did all those new spacecraft and stormtrooper outfits go by the time ANH started :)

I've waited a year but I can now go and see another Star Wars film more than once at the cinema :D
Last edited by jedi_mister on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for the following MOCs:
R2-D2 Popup Lightsaber Trilogo

fuzzybuzzytoys
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby fuzzybuzzytoys » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:22 am

Saw it in 2D last night. I'm kinda torn as to what I think about it. I like the story leading up to finding her father. Very edge on the seat stuff as the daughter, the rebels and the empire all try to get him at the same time. Felt very much like Hanks death in Breaking Bad.

The movie then seemed to change in tone very quickly and went into full on action mode. It felt a little like I was watching someone else playing Battlefront. Liked it though and thought it brave of Disney to kill them all off (even though it was necessary of course).

Vader wasn't in it enough. Tarkin was in it too much as the cgi took me out of the movie a little. In my mind Tarkin should have been the 'cameo' and Vader should have had his screentime, even his scenes.

Was a good movie, but didn't feel like a Star Wars movie. I think the music didn't help in that respect.

Need a second viewing. Not as good as TFA in my opinion. The worse thing is it's not a film I can take my 8 yr old daughter to and enjoy together. Not a family film, it's definitely aimed at older star wars fans.

I liked it though.

Torn.
Reboot in process....

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:32 am

Loved all the easter eggs and looking forward to spotting more when I go again tomorrow. Saw the Ghost twice - once parked up on Yavin and also in the space battle. Also heard the announcement on Yavin about 'General Syndulla' 8) Loads more to find I'm sure!
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby steve obi wan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:00 am

I enjoyed it , but agree music was shite , Tarkin wasn't really real enough looking at times . But overall a great movie ! :D :D
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:07 am

I have held off a little from commenting but having had a couple of days of thought I have decided that I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I realised at the time, and at the time I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I was initially disappointed in the lack of the opening crawl and the music at the beginning, however after digesting I felt that when you start watching it, it feels different to the Star Wars you know. By the end of the film it is very much like you have been reunited with an old friend, and everything is familiar.

The nods to the original were subtle, which is all they needed to be. It was so much darker than any Star Wars film to date. Cassian shooting the guy in the back early on for example. Anyone think of another scheme where a character gets shot in cold blood? And they have spent years trying to get rid of that so to go there again was great. And death, so much death, which is what a war film has to show.

I enjoyed the cgi. Sadly Vader was not the Vader we used to have but it wasn't a terrible Vader and the scenes at the end were superb. I looked beyond all the cheesy odd vehicles and beach troopers who will sell toys. Loved the fact that krennic was killed by his own weapon as well.

Can't wait to see it again. When it finally gets its DVD release it will be difficult not to watch this and anh back to back.
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:54 am

Why does everyone seem to think that they all had to die at the end? I've seen this comment here and all over social media (without spoiler alerts too which is annoying for those not watching at midnight showings I'm sure :evil: )... of course they didn't have to die!
No rebellion or war moves on a single linear plane does it? They could easily have delivered the ending with the plans being handed over, escaped the planet and moved off to other missions away from the OT timeline we already know. Despite the assault on the Death Star being an all hands to teh pumps affair, thee is no way that every single rebel or rebellion sympathiser was involved in that one attack on that one day...
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

https://www.instagram.com/starwars_runner/

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:08 am

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:
Jez wrote:I loved Tarkin and Leia, yeah they will never be perfect but they were dam close to it.

After coming out of seeing The Force Awakens I remember thinking that my one big negative was that bad CG on Maz and Snoke took me out of the immersion. However, having rewatched The Force Awakens a couple of times at home on blu ray the fx don't seem half as bad. I think therefore that the sheer size of the image on a cinema screen exacerbates the flaws. Tarkin wasn't 'quite' right but we were looking at a close up of his face 20 foot tall. At home I strongly suspect the illusion will work better.

That's a really good point I hadn't considered. On the small screen those to big bug bears will probably pass without notice.

Stormcab, I think you're my brother from another mother. I forgot about the models. I love them a thousand times more than CGI and they were absolutely spectacular, but yes, at one point a Star Destroyer looked particularly model like. That said, it didn't bug me at all, I just thought "respect" :)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 am

Did any of you see if captain antilles did he look like captain antilles from a new hope ? I think the scenes with him was so fast in the new movie so I did not see his face correct :?

PulsarP
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby PulsarP » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:Did any of you see if captain antilles did he look like captain antilles from a new hope ? I think the scenes with him was so fast in the new movie so I did not see his face correct :?

Good question Pomse, indeed it did all happen so fast.
The whole film needs another few viewings to fully absorb, well, everything!!!
I damn nearly choked up during the last few scenes.

Watched it on the 4DX screen in Sheffield last night and to be honest with everybody i wasn't 100% sure what to expect due to the reported reshoots, trailer material, and various reviews and comments.
Well it blew me away.
I wasn't expecting any of that and if I'm honest it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie at all for the first hour or so.
Sure it had droids and Stormies etcetera but as somebody has touched on before, the less euphoric score led to a darker, gritty war movie feel.

Ten of us went last night, ten of us thought it good, so so good. Even our lass who isn't a Star Wars fan raved all the way home.
Went to bed when we got in and after an hour I still couldn't sleep, then I heard "Paul, are you still awake?"
She also had trouble getting to sleep as the film had touched her on an emotional level which she said surprised her as although she is a very deep person she wasn't aware that SW could have that depth.
I think she is in love with Chirrut Imwe.
She also cried at Jyn and Andor's last scene saying it reminded her of Deep Impact.

I remember some right fannies on Rebelscum a couple of years back stating that Lucas had sold out and that Disney would dilute and ruin the SW franchise.
Kathleen Kennedy even commented last week that they were taking quite a risk with Rogue One but I reckon they've pulled a bit of a masterstroke.
Don't get me wrong, I love the OT, always have always will but if this is the kind of direction they are willing to go then the future of our favourite saga will be very long and very lucrative.

Back to the disappointing soundtrack, which to be fair may grow on me, the guy only had 4 and a half weeks to compose it and it really does show IMO.

Really can't wait for Episode 8 and the Han Solo story but they have a quite a bit to live up to now.
Having different directors for each movie, another good call by Lucasfilm/Disney.

I am with the Force, and the Force is with me.
Looking for any Palitoy logo esp. 30, 41 and 45a.
Also looking for any 20back droids and cantina aliens on any cardback.

Nick_IoW
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Nick_IoW » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Well... just got back from watching.

Enjoyed it - but have come away feeling disappointed. TFA was very emotional for me, and I came away feeling elated like I was 6 years old. R1 left me feeling a bit meh - like I should have enjoyed it more, but something was missing. Which is a shame as I was amazed by the trailers.

Hoping I will be more enthusiastic after a second viewing. But I do stress, I did enjoy it. It's Star Wars.

Positives:
Vader scene at the end (even though I knew something similar was happening due to the leak of wall art some months back).
Vaders temple, though I would have liked to have seen more of the para-Olympian - though thinking about it maybe less was more as CGI can kill scenes.
THAT scene when the hyperspace goes wrong for the rebels. Something I've always wanted to see.
The acting was really good.
The subtle nods to the original - and the not so subtle ones.
Miserable robot - it was like looking in a mirror.
The underplayed mention of Ben.
The scenes all looked stunning and filmed beautifully - really really good.
The slow paced start - lets face it the Original was well slow for the most part. I kind of liked that.
Bail Organa.
Tarkin.
Battle scenes - be it troops or ships.
It's more Star wars.
Having the force more mystical and touching on faith.

Negatives:
Tarkin - he was a positive but there's too much of him, the more you see him the worse he looked.'
Leia - as soon as I saw Tarkin I knew this would happen. She had the eyes of a stoner, and looked bad. I didn't know whether to cringe or vom in my mouth. Dog-shit. Computer game cut scene
The brief flash of Rogue One - the whole lack of anything was a bit of a downer for me - seemed odd.
The score - what happened? Some of it was ok - but mostly seemed out of place and an odd mash-up at times.
Darth Vader - aside from not sounding good, in the non action scenes he looked and sounded like a cosplayer - even his gesturing seemed limp. Not at all ominous or imposing.
Naming of planets - I don't mind seeing these things pop up, but it seemed odd as they all came in what felt like a 2 minute spell.
Making a point of having Red 5 killed - felt like it was meant to leave a gap for Luke. They all died - so room for a whole new squadron lol.

Far better than the prequals - but lacked the charm of TFA.

Happy (some really good stuff) and underwhelmed (I was hoping for more) - hoping it will be a grower.

We got a glimpse of what Vader should be - and now I want a proper Vader movie, which is something I didn't want before.

mumbo
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mumbo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Wow that was an awesome watch/film 8)

Gritty, emotional, dark and characters that I could warm to much more so than TFA. I liked TFA but it was wrapped up in a huge bundle of nostalgia, whereas R1 felt subtly disconnected whilst still being intrinsically linked if that makes sense.

Had no idea about Tarkin being in it and was pleasantly surprised with the CGI and having Leia receive the plans at the end was also a nice touch, Dr Evazan, Walrus Man, C3PO and R2 were all nice surprises.

I thought it clever too how they solved the Death Star's annoying weakness which now brings a different perspective to the ending of SW and how it was achievable, brilliant.

Thoroughly pleased indeed :D

Oh and the kids loved it too :)
If its Luke Jedi then I'm interested, vintage or modern.

My feedback - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13324

My Focus collection - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14401

chiffy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby chiffy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:59 pm

Having read all of the comments upto date, these are my latest thoughts.....

In my opinion, Leia was as good as we were gonna get. Infact, the few seconds we saw the ' new ' face seemed fine, if you put into context that you wouldnt know the difference between that Fisher when moving onto a new hope if you werent star wars nerds like us so i reckon lets just, as my mate always used to tell me when moaning about shit in TPM, be believers!
I also picked up on the lack of Ben Kenobi. We heard Bail saying he would trust ' her ' with his life when talking about contacting an old jedi friend. As the film wore on he was on obviously on about giving the plans to Leia wasnt he? Surely SHE didnt even know she was a. Anakins daughter and b. a jedi?? I presumed early doors he meant Ben Kenobi unless i've totally lost the plot and turned off at the wrong junction somewhere? Discuss...... :mrgreen:

Somewhere beneath the murky Dagobah swamp lies chiffy's feedback thread. Please use or abuse.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13553

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:22 pm

chiffy wrote:Having read all of the comments upto date, these are my latest thoughts.....

In my opinion, Leia was as good as we were gonna get. Infact, the few seconds we saw the ' new ' face seemed fine, if you put into context that you wouldnt know the difference between that Fisher when moving onto a new hope if you werent star wars nerds like us so i reckon lets just, as my mate always used to tell me when moaning about shit in TPM, be believers!
I also picked up on the lack of Ben Kenobi. We heard Bail saying he would trust ' her ' with his life when talking about contacting an old jedi friend. As the film wore on he was on obviously on about giving the plans to Leia wasnt he? Surely SHE didnt even know she was a. Anakins daughter and b. a jedi?? I presumed early doors he meant Ben Kenobi unless i've totally lost the plot and turned off at the wrong junction somewhere? Discuss...... :mrgreen:

You misheard, mate. Bail was asked about contacting his old Jedi friend (who he referred to as "he") who was clearly Ben. In the same conversation the transportation of the plans was discussed and it was at this point Bail said he would "trust her" with his life, clearly referencing Leia.

Return to “Star Wars Films”