How Do You Rank The SW Movies Now?

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Dr_Ball_MD
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: How Do You Rank The SW Movies Now?

Post by Dr_Ball_MD »

Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
Rise of Skywalker
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Force Awakens
Solo
Phantom Menace
Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by SAVORY100 »

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Solo
5. The Last Jedi
6. Rogue One
7. The Phantom Menace
8. The Rise of Skywalker
9. The Force Awakens
10. The Revenge of The Sith
11. The Attack of the Clones

Those I rank as 4 and 5 swap around a bit as do 6 and 7 for me
Those I rank as 9, 10 and 11 are a long way behind my top eight, if I watched any of those three once a year I'd be surprised.
Rise of Skywalker is still pretty new, so I'm not settled on how I rank it fully. it's just about hanging on to the top eight, but could fall into the bottom three with more watches, I can't though see it climbing much, if any higher.
Last edited by SAVORY100 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

As it stands, need to watch TROS again though.

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
R1
Solo
TROS
TFA
TPM
AOTC
TLJ

I watched Solo the other day and I think The Rise of Skywalker may go above Solo after more viewings.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Grant_C »

HOLY TRINITY:
ESB
SW
ROTJ

Fine additions:
TPM
R1

Mediocre with some great bits:
TFA
ROTS
Solo

Heartbreaking Trashy poor fan fiction:
TROS
TLJ
AOTC

spoons
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by spoons »

Interesting thread. TROS really does divide opinion, probably more so than any SW film before it. I saw Solo more as fan fiction, very much agree with the thought that it was a made for TV kind of film

Here's my latest list - TFA has dropped since I last did this, loved it when it came out

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
R1
TROS
TFA
TPM
ROTS
Solo
AOTC
TLJ
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

Although I don’t mind a few of the new films and found them entertaining (Solo/ROS), for me the sequels and especially the prequels do nothing but diminish the original films.

I occasionally try to watch the prequels and people seem keen to convince me they are any good, particularly Revenge of the Sith. I could tolerate it just being boring, but it’s worse than that.

Case in point - Yoda. As a kid I thought Yoda was just really old and not able to fight, and much too spiritual / magical for all of that anyway. I imagined him living on dagobah for most of his life, training Jedis ... Instead, in the prequels he runs a local council badly, does nothing, looks weird, fights in a stupid way, loses, talks in a silly way that is not consistent with the OT, and then goes into exile for no real reason whilst his mates get slaughtered around the universe.

There are literally hundreds of ways the prequels and sequels make the originals worse for me, and whilst I find some of them entertaining, for me the prequels (and expanded universe stuff which just fills in movie plot holes) just taint the originals. I know others love it all and I don’t begrudge them, but it’s not for me.

DarthHamblin
Regular
Regular

Post by DarthHamblin »

I dident love the prequels but I dident hate them either, I thought ROTS was the best of the 3, though quite slow it
Had some key moments and some entertaining scenes.
My all time favourite is ROTJ just because i loved it so much as a kid and remember watching it over Xmas with the family.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

theforceuk wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:43 am
As it stands, need to watch TROS again though.

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
R1
Solo
TROS
TFA
TPM
AOTC
TLJ

I watched Solo the other day and I think The Rise of Skywalker may go above Solo after more viewings.

I'm watching them all in time line order at the moment, I'm up to ANH and think it may have to go back on top! ESB next, so I'm giving it a chance to hold on.

star_wars
New User
New User

Post by star_wars »

i -having considered all things- categorize star wars movies in 2 parts :
old star wars
new star wars
this may seem vague but this actually makes sense to me. having categorized my star wars in this way i can tell you that old ones are far more valuable to me than new ones.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

star_wars wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:52 pm
i -having considered all things- categorize star wars movies in 2 parts :
old star wars
new star wars
this may seem vague but this actually makes sense to me. having categorized my star wars in this way i can tell you that old ones are far more valuable to me than new ones.
Yeah think everyone agrees with you!

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by x-pack »

The film that means the most to me is ANH and then ROTJ. Even though everybody knows ESB is the best by far it wasn't a thing when I was really young. Never watched it until the late 80s

Other than that I can't list them because I like or dislike different parts, not entire films. TPM for me has the absolute most dire characters and script, but then it has Darth Maul who is badass. It is too hard to choose.

I had this exact discussion at work about Indiana Jones only this morning. It was agreed that TOD is the worst
..including CS :o

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

x-pack wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:22 am
The film that means the most to me is ANH and then ROTJ. Even though everybody knows ESB is the best by far it wasn't a thing when I was really young. Never watched it until the late 80s

Other than that I can't list them because I like or dislike different parts, not entire films. TPM for me has the absolute most dire characters and script, but then it has Darth Maul who is badass. It is too hard to choose.

I had this exact discussion at work about Indiana Jones only this morning. It was agreed that TOD is the worst
No way the Temple of Doom is great! :lol:

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by x-pack »

theforceuk wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:36 pm
x-pack wrote:

Bits of it are. The rope bridge scene is iconic. The jumping out of a plane on a raft is ridiculous

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

x-pack wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:00 pm
theforceuk wrote:
x-pack wrote:

Bits of it are. The rope bridge scene is iconic. The jumping out of a plane on a raft is ridiculous
Thats the best bit!!!! Was when I was 8 anyway.

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by x-pack »

theforceuk wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:23 pm
x-pack wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:00 pm
theforceuk wrote:

Thats the best bit!!!! Was when I was 8 anyway.

"Fly, yes. Land, no..." :lol: