SPOILERS THREAD-The Rise of Skywalker-SPOILERS THREAD

lejackal

Grand Master
This thread WILL contain spoilers, if you want to discuss the film, including spoilers please use only this thread......I'll be watching :twisted:

Attachments

• C88712A0-6E1D-4E60-97E8-21F77D9DD515.jpeg
    C88712A0-6E1D-4E60-97E8-21F77D9DD515.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,835

lejackal

Grand Master
In case you weren't sure.....

Attachments

• C5E490E7-3847-4227-A84F-D32E55C6B0C0.jpeg
    C5E490E7-3847-4227-A84F-D32E55C6B0C0.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,830
  • 894C6983-14C7-4503-9CA4-DEB80788AA73.jpeg
    894C6983-14C7-4503-9CA4-DEB80788AA73.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,833
  • C5C72A0D-667C-46C3-A367-33D9A85DD4E7.jpeg
    C5C72A0D-667C-46C3-A367-33D9A85DD4E7.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,842

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Well.....the leaks appear to have been true all along :shock:

Not sure what to think tbh, as some of the plot points sound awful.
The ending sounds especially cringeworthy and has been virtually confirmed by the photo leaks.
JJ seems to have thrown The Last Jedi under the bus as well, if the reviewers are to be believed.

Hopefully the execution of the plot is better than it sounds on paper.
Not holding my breath though.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I'm really not sure what to think now. I have heard that one well known reviewer, that up until this point has been pretty much a "shill" for Disney's Star Wars, have stated that it is a quote, 'bad movie'.

Likewise if it is true that Lucas was not invited to or declined to attend the premiere because he allegedly hated how JJ has re-written the the whole chosen one story arc with Anakin. If it's true I can understand that. It would basically undo everything Lucas wrote and created about the rise and fall of Anakin/Vader and his redemption just so he can tie up a loose end with the unplanned story arc of the ST and equally poorly written characters in them.

In recent weeks many of the cast and crew have come out declaring that they felt TLJ had problems along with JJ stating he's not good at wrapping stories up and giving them a good ending. It doesn't fill me with much hope. I don't think any Star Wars would truly want the films to be bad, but if the rumours are true...this could be ****ing awful.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
The leaks of Rey 'Space Jesus' and Kylo resurrecting Rey with a kiss before dying himself sound ****ing awful.
There's supposedly a LGBTQ moment as well (I'm guessing Poe & Finn) :roll:

TK-7785 said:
I'm really not sure what to think now. I have heard that one well known reviewer, that up until this point has been pretty much a "shill" for Disney's Star Wars, have stated that it is a quote, 'bad movie'.

Clutching at straws maybe, but Mendelson & Campea are well known TLJ defenders.
Perhaps the rumours that JJ has retconned TLJ are true (which IMHO he had to do) and they've got their knickers in a twist.
Who knows, but its not a good look if even the shills are publicly dissing the film :shock:
I suppose you could argue that if they hate it, there's a sporting chance it might be good.

Feel so sorry for Lucas. Whether he wasn't invited or chose not to attend, his absence speaks volumes.
Perhaps Mr Iger should have kept his autobiography under wraps until after the premiere.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
The absence of Lucas speaks volumes for me. I think he saw how it was going and didn't like it. Its hard, but he gave up his rights when he sold the franchise so really it was always going to be out of his control.

From what I'm hearing and reading, ROS is going to be another TLJ but I sincerely hope not. Ive got a funny feeling that JJ was trying to wrap up the ST and chose to put too much into it. Rian ruined TLJ and the ST has basically destroyed the magic that Lucas created originally. I believe that there are quite a few awful plot lines in ROS but ill wait until I see it.

In all honesty, I gave the ST another chance earlier this year, but I think I may have been kidding myself. Perhaps I thought that watching them would make me like them better but it didn't last long in all honesty. I was positive, but I'm hoping that ROS is half decent. It may well be a steaming pile of Dewback dung but that will only cement my one true feelings about Star Wars, and that is it all ended at ROTJ. We just have to learn to ignore the ST.

Anyway, lets see what happens...

GLucas

Padawan
On YouTube there are several 'spoilers' and if I have to believe them all than I have to make a decision: watch it or not. I didn't watch TLJ because of the negativity on YouTube, so I kinda made my decision.

I am pleased with The Mandolorian on Disney Plus and still pleased with spinoffs like Rogue One. They are more in the spirit of what SW should be imo.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I remember when i first saw this image of all the cast and director together seeing mark hamill carrie fisher and harison ford together for a new trilogy of star wars films i was so excited. Now i look at it and think what could have been. I cant comment as i have not seen it myself but one review said the best thing about the rise of skywalker was my hotdog. Its got 1 star on IMDB pretty bad reviews coming out of the gate. We shall see.

Attachments

• star_wars_cast.jpg
    star_wars_cast.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,752

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I've generally found Jeremy Jahns reviews to be fair, in that he's just giving his honest opinion without fear of having his Mickey Mouse Club membership taken away. His review doesn't fill me with much hope, confirms much of the rumours about its rushed and troubled production and also confirms my concerns. I've never really thought JJ is up to much other than big spectacular visuals and dangling his 80s nostalgia testicles in your face (so far his track record) but also not actually ever been able to tell a compelling story. When it comes to his involvement in existing franchises (Star Wars and Star Trek) he also has a track record of not really reading up on existing stories, characters and lore and therefore kinda ****ing things up. And without its lore, Star Wars wouldn't be much at all. I have to wonder if they had listened to Lucas or maybe employed the lore master that is Filoni, things might be quite different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hobn57uzQlk

GLucas

Padawan
My great G... Just watched this on YouTube :roll: What a flimsy story line (presumed that about 90% is true).... :? Empress Palpatine?
https://youtu.be/dBzr2l613Lo

UKS

Jedi Knight
I've been watching clips on reddit.

It's ultra bad. I knew the plot was, but seeing it "live"?

No. This is below Caravan of Courage in canon for me - just above that bounty hunter EU novel with bib fortuna becoming a bomarr monk.

Listening to "Dark side beckons" to cleanse my soul.

subzero

Sith Lord
Well what can I say, this is the only Star Wars film in history where Iv'e chosen to seek out spoilers instead of desperately hide from them, and trust me that's saying something about what Star Wars has now become if someone like me just doesn't care about spoilers. I basically know the entire plot and how it ends, I haven't even seen the film and I couldn't give a **** ( It sounds dog awful anyway which I knew it would be ).

Rotten Tomatoes currently sitting at 57%, and these are CRITIC reviews ( which are usually much higher rated compared to user's ), my god I can't wait to see where it's going to tank to once USER reviews start pouring in tomorrow. I'm glad this has happened, it actually makes me happy, I'm really looking forward to seeing this film completely ****ing bomb. This disaster needed to happen, it's the only thing that will get Lucasfilm/Disney's attention and make them realise just how much they ****ed up, and hopefully this kind of thing will be avoided in future, hopefully.

When you put leaders in charge of a global franchise like this who focus mainly on shoving identity politics and diversity up our asses, instead of focusing on great storytelling and hiring the right people to just do the damn job properly then TLJ and TROS is the result we get. They had all the talent, money & resources in the world to make this something magical and instead we get gold plated dog ****, looks kind of okay on the outside but when you dig into it, yuk!

Roll on 10% Rotten Tomatoes. Go **** yourself Disney, you get no money from me this time.

My god what a once in a lifetime wasted bloody opportunity, this chance will never happen again, it's gone!

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
I feel the same. The first time I've actively sought out spoilers and literally not given a ****.
If I had been majorly spoiled for the previous trilogies, I would have been distraught. Not anymore.

I'm swinging between elation and sadness at the moment.
On one hand I'm over the moon that it's all gone tits-up for them. Their arrogance and agenda-driven bullshit have finally caught up with them.
Alternatively, I feel sadness for what could of been. What a wasted opportunity to make something really special.
Now it's gone :cry:

No doubt, it'll make enough money for them to make their excuses and blame the fans as usual.
But, I think the writing is on the wall for Kennedy's cabal at Lucasfilm. Only a matter of time before the axe falls.

A penny for Mr Lucas' thoughts.

jayums

Jedi Master
Just got back from cinema... first thoughts:

Criticisms first: I thought it was very cheesy and dialogue was flat in places. Plot convoluted and needed tightening up. Some unnecessary and bizarre bits (the spy reveal, silly space horses, too many new characters etc).

BUT despite all that I enjoyed it way more than TLJ . It was at least a bit more fun and actually make me laugh a few times (and get emotional). Lots of good action sequences too. Dealt with Leia as well as it possibly could.

Overall, flawed yes - far too much movie in one movie - but to it's heart was in the right place. Let's face it, it had to go some to tie up the story given where it has to pick things up from TLJ (which IMO was a total mess and left nothing to do).

JJ should kick himself he didn't do all three of the sequels - yes, he is a second rate Spielberg - but I'm sure it would have been more cohesive had he have done so.

It's a missed opportunity for sure. To me it's glorified fan fiction and there will only ever be three proper Star Wars films, but it is what it is, and I have to say it was a decent effort to get things back on track and is at least fun and exciting, which I think kids will like.

100sounds

Youngling
Just seen Rise of Skywalker tonight at the cinema (along with seeing Ep7 and 8 for the first time too).

In general I feel it's just started to become more like a super hero movie. It's more about who has the strongest inherited power than the battle between the philosophical approach of the Jedi vs the dark side, which I find far more memorable and interesting.

The very final battle between Rey and Palpatine is hilariously underwhelming, it's just like watching two people play tug of war, one wins the other loses and thats that. Rey doesn't even use her new found lightning force powers that she discovers briefly earlier on in the film.

The way Kylo Ren appears to die, is then resurrected, then Rey appears to die, is then resurrected, then Kylo Ren dies again but for good! By this point I'm done caring and just wish they'd make their mind up.

I thought it would have been more interesting if Rey would have actually died and Kylo Ren lived to become the new reformed leader of the Jedi. I actually thought this might be the plot twist at the end which I thought was quite clever. I was quite disappointed when Rey came back to life and Kylo Ren died. It was just boring.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I for one really enjoyed it. Sure it's not perfect, but after the mess that was TLJ it stands as a very worthy end to the saga. Most unresolved plot threads are wrapped up (and some new ones left hanging - Palpatine had offspring??), there were some great character moments, I thought Carrie was excellent, great to see Harrison one last time, and Mark got to redeem Luke after the awful portrayal in TLJ. There were some fantastic action sequences, and some real shocks and surprises. Good to see R2 and 3PO with a proper role to play, and Lando was a welcome return. There were even a few moments that brought a tear to my eye, and that's very unusual.

All in all it stands as a good Star Wars movie, and I've very few complaints. Thanks JJ.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I didn't like it. So Rey is a Palpatine, and took the Skywalker family name. In the end Palpatine wins just by that alone and it completely destroys the Skywalker story and all that happened up to the end of ROTJ. No clear explanation how Palpatine survived and too many plot holes. Basically, if we include these films its the Palpatine saga, but if we ignore it then its still the Skywalker saga. I know why Mark Hamill is so pissed.

Its also like spin the bottle in some points, Kylo dies, Rey dies blah,blah.

For me the sequels don't exist, but hey...that's me :D

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
So basically its time to bin the Prequel Trilogy , bin the sequel trilogy and consider episodes 4-6 as the entire saga . Job done

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom