“Skywalker Saga” 4K box set

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Due out in April, £200! No mention of OT theatrical versions either :(

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - Limited Edition Complete Box Set UHD [Blu-ray] [2019] [Region Free] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082WXCSKN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nBVuEbZDV2DP1

TK-7785

Jedi Master
This set has me a little bemused. Selling this as a 4k set is misleading. None of the 9 films are available in anything higher than 2K resolution. Unless Disney have gone back and rescanned original film prints of either the original release of the OT or the Special Editions, these will be based of the the previous digital versions available on blu-ray, so not 4K. The prequels were shot digitally at 1080 and 2K, so there were never any film prints available to rescan at higher resolutions. Then even the new trilogy was created at 2K (unless they renedered all the CG at 4K, which I highly doubt given that VFX houses don't do tgat due to time and cost restrictions).

So at best, all these are are upscales of all the previous releases. If you want the OT in 4K, go get it for free at 4K77, 4K80 and 4K83 (or donate a little for the hard work by the guys who created it). Get the PT on the already existing and far cheaper blu-rays and do the same with the ST.

Ok, so there's a **** tonne of extras, apparently. But reportedly no deleted scenes. I'm guessing a bunch of previously released making of documentaries?

Bit of a con if you ask me. This holds zero interest for me, especially at that price.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
The majority of The Phantom Menace was shot on film. Some digital video shots are in the film. I believe there are 3 I can spot. Never checked, so that should be upscaled.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I was going to go for the bluray set, but no new extras put me off, I have them all on multiple formats so i'll just punt for the rise of skywalker on bluray, theres not much on that one either and for the first time no commentary track seems odd that they didn't bother doing one for the last film in the saga, unless theres an special edition coming down the line

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
It's a disgrace how they have treated the issues of some of these films. Probably to hide the clusterfuck behind the scenes.

The prequels has phenomenal behind the scenes stuff. The stuff that inspires to be creative.

These jokers do it all behind closed doors in case their 'creative skills' get exposed.

UKS

Jedi Knight
I assume this will have Malaky in it? Hmm.

I can't watch any new release with the Vader ROTJ NOOOOOOO in it. Such a betrayal of the character and the arc. At the end of ROTJ was the first moment he found peace/calm. His proper Jedi Bhuddist moment.

Instead they made it about the Dark side again. All anger and emotion. And completely misaligned with his attitude during the film! Burnt and bitter.

So absolute Bantha doodoo.

Sometimes I wonder whether Lucasfilm even understand their own films.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
£200! Ha your having a lough Disney. The producers of Neighbours would have done a better job of the sequels.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Another rushed, over priced, half-arsed abortion of a SW release from Disney?
What a ****ing surprise :roll:

This "Skywalker Saga" branding bollocks, really grips my ****.
It's the STAR WARS SAGA. Always was, always will be.

I'll be sticking with the brilliant 4K77, 80 & 83 cuts.
The fan produced restorations/fan edits far exceed anything Disney has shat out.

Great video by Retroblasting on the 4K boxset.....

[youtube]2TE5OTopl5A[/youtube]

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Twin30mm said:
Another rushed, over priced, half-arsed abortion of a SW release from Disney?
What a ****ing surprise :roll:

This "Skywalker Saga" branding bollocks, really grips my ****.
It's the STAR WARS SAGA. Always was, always will be.

I'll be sticking with the brilliant 4K77, 80 & 83 cuts.
The fan produced restorations/fan edits far exceed anything Disney has shat out.

Great video by Retroblasting on the 4K boxset.....

[youtube]2TE5OTopl5A[/youtube]

I couldn't agree more! Even if I wanted a high quality version of Special Editions, there are fans currently working on scanning original prints of those in at 4K too. So I'm nor really sure what Disney has to offer aside from another **** rolled in glitter.

I do find the term "Skywalker Saga" quite a bit disingenuous really. Given that the new trilogy isn't really about the Skywalkers. Luke's role is more of a supporting role at best.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Good video, I didn't know Episodes 2 and 3 were rendered in 1080p, trying to sell it as 4k is shocking!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom