Prequel Edit

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I recently watched Rise of Skywalker and unfortunately thought it was a load of old rubbish so I started to think maybe the prequels aren't as bad as I remember them.

I quickly came to the conclusion that they are, but I feel there is a decent story in there somewhere so I wondered if anyone new of an edit with all three films being condensed into one?

I'd heard a rumour some Hollywood editor had done this, screened it once to his mates who all agreed it was the best thing ever and then promptly deleted it. But that sounds like total BS to me.

I'm also aware there is a phantom edit which removes jar jar but to be honest, the worst part about that film is Anakin.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
The Phantom Edit is the professional edit.

It doesn't remove Jar Jar as that would be impossible. What it does is reduce his antics, reduces Jar Jar bookending scenes and reducing the volume.

Anakin is also reduced by having him not say much. This means that the end is reedited in a way that Anakin knows what he is doing and voluntarily jumps into the fighter and purposely takes out the command ship. Its really skilfully made and is a strong edit.

He returned with Attack of the Phantom which has an amazing cut which insinuates that Padme and Anakin have sex. The first shot is the 'softer than sand' kiss. When it cuts back from Obi-Wans Kamino adventure its the Padme and Anakin speech as he's watching the sunrise. She appears in a nighty, so the implication is that they kissed and had sex.

Sounds silly, but it adds to the justification to follow each other later.

These are stronger edits than Episode 1 and Episode 2.

Not even Rise of the Phantom will save that film. They ****ed this trilogy up beyond repair.

jayums

Jedi Master
I had a go at watching Attack of the Clones today as I hadn't watched in years and couldn't really remember it. Got to 9 minutes 50 seconds had to turn it off. It was that bad.

Genuinely I would rather sit in silence looking at a blank screen.

I'm not a big fan of the sequels or anything, but I found TROS to be watchable and entertaining. It's not a great movie by any stretch, but at no point did I feel like I couldn't watch it or was really bored.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Clarkspie&chips said:
I'd heard a rumour some Hollywood editor had done this, screened it once to his mates who all agreed it was the best thing ever and then promptly deleted it. But that sounds like total BS to me.

It was the actor Topher Grace. A one-off private screening of his 85 minute Prequel edit....
https://www.slashfilm.com/topher-grace-edited-star-wars-prequels-85minute-movie/

I've downloaded L8wrtrs' PT edits and they're pretty good.
Amongst other things, Jar Jars 'hilarious' antics have been stripped out and the more cringeworthy elements have been excised overall.

HAL9000s edits are also highly regarded apparently (haven't got round to seeing them).

Athough the PT is very flawed, its positively Shakespearean compared to the ST.
I think history will be kinder to it.

jayums

Jedi Master
I think the prequels have their fans who are really into the expanded universe and appreciate the vision and creativity of the prequels. As films I still think they are pretty dreadful though. I can't see a dramatic reappraisal of that, but I do think the prequels will have a hardcore of fans who they work for - and they get passionate about in a way that won't happen with the sequels. That said, I think most average cinema goers would probably plump for the sequels over the prequels for entertainment value.

Personally liked that the original Star Wars films had crossover appeal to a wider audience (something you could watch with your family ). I do feel like the sequels were closer to that vision than the prequels, which always seemed very stilted, nerdy and boring to me, and tonally all over the place.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Thanks for tips lads, I've downloaded the Hal9000 edits and will report back when I've got round to watching them!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Defiantly watch the 2001 Phantom Edit with the commentary on. Its a fantastic lesson in how powerful the edit can be if done right.

I wish I had seen it when I was back in film school.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Defiantly watch the 2001 Phantom Edit with the commentary on. Its a fantastic lesson in how powerful the edit can be if done right.

I wish I had seen it when I was back in film school.

I managed to get a copy of this but it was very poor quality so I gave up almost straight away. I'll have a look around and see if I can get a better version but might have to wait a while, I don't think I can handle watching Episode I too many times in quick succession!

Wald

Padawan
The Phantom Edit is the professional edit.

It doesn't remove Jar Jar as that would be impossible. What it does is reduce his antics, reduces Jar Jar bookending scenes and reducing the volume.

Anakin is also reduced by having him not say much. This means that the end is reedited in a way that Anakin knows what he is doing and voluntarily jumps into the fighter and purposely takes out the command ship. Its really skilfully made and is a strong edit.

He returned with Attack of the Phantom which has an amazing cut which insinuates that Padme and Anakin have sex. The first shot is the 'softer than sand' kiss. When it cuts back from Obi-Wans Kamino adventure its the Padme and Anakin speech as he's watching the sunrise. She appears in a nighty, so the implication is that they kissed and had sex.

Sounds silly, but it adds to the justification to follow each other later.

These are stronger edits than Episode 1 and Episode 2.

Not even Rise of the Phantom will save that film. They ****ed this trilogy up beyond repair.

I totally agree with you there!😉

sith-smith

Grand Master
After the original trilogy, the PT would be my favorite watch. I don't mind the sequels, but I also don't think they are great, or as good as the PT. The moment I came out of the cinema after watching the force awakens I felt immediate nostalgia towards the PT.

They are far from perfect and have a number of things that I can't stand/make no sense, but I have always like the overall story, albeit it told in a clunky, sometimes non-sensical way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom