Rumour they are remaking the sequels

grinchy

Sith Lord
I think its safe to say that with the new franchise movies making around 4 billion as it is, that they will be keeping them as they are, these rumours are just butthurt fanboys who can't let it go, sure they weren't for everyone but they are done, onto the next trilogy now :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
grinchy said:
I think its safe to say that with the new franchise movies making around 4 billion as it is, that they will be keeping them as they are, these rumours are just butthurt fanboys who can't let it go, sure they weren't for everyone but they are done, onto the next trilogy now :D

And the wholly unjustified abuse of fans who don't happen to like the Disney sequel trilogy continues. It's funny how the people that don't like the sequels usually criticise the sequels and not those fans that did manage to enjoy them, whereas the people that did like the sequels usually criticise and hurl insults at those fans that don't like them, rather than talking up the aspects of the films that they enjoyed.

Both points of view are valid; liking them and disliking them. Personally, I regard the sequels as unmitigated pieces of ****, but I respect the right of others to think differently and I refuse to start calling them names simply because I don't happen to agree with their opinion.

Regarding the rumours themselves, for the time being that's all they are, rumours, with nothing concrete announced by any official source. Given how divisive Kathleen Kennedy's reign in charge of Lucasfilm has been, and given that her contract will expire shortly, it is inevitable that rumours have started to circulate regarding her replacement and the future direction of Star Wars.

The rumours can be heard on Overlord DVD's YouTube channel (which is quite excellent, BTW), in which he reports information that has been leaked to him, allegedly by Lucasfilm insiders. How much, if any of it, proves to be true remains to be seen (although since none of the rumours can currently be proven or disproven, you risk looking very stupid indeed to simply dismiss them all out of hand).

What are the rumours? There are several, including the possibility of Disney wiping the sequels from the canon courtesy of the veil of the force, introduced into canon during the Star Wars Rebels cartoon. If that were to happen (and Disney are more than capable of doing so, having already wiped the entire Expanded Universe from the canon, thus establishing a precedent), it leaves them free to do whatever they wish post-ROJ. Another more fanciful-sounding rumour is George Lucas coming back as Kathleen Kennedy's replacement, supposedly with a few conditions, one of which is that he gets to make his own episodes 7-9.

Will any of this come to pass? Who can say, but if Disney think they can make the most money from doing things this way, I wouldn't bet against it. If however they think they can make more money by doing something else, then that's what I think they'll do. Money talks after all.

UKS

Jedi Knight
They will never remake the sequels as Carrie is dead and Harrison is old and expensive.

They *may* shoot ahead of the sequels and never mention them again.

They *may* even do something Retcon-esque and bring Luke back - They have the ability to do so as they were planning on doing that with Obi-Wan in ESB AND ROTJ. (Gandalf rip-off!)

I think I would like that. Luke was the character ruined the most by the sequels.

But I hate the sequels for what they did to the OT3, The OT is general and the Star Wars Universe. I mean, Rancor-riding Force witches from the EU were more aligned with the SW ethos than those films.

I would *love* to see a slightly rewritten sequel trilogy - but in a different format like a book - I think that could open the concept of a SW multiverse and mean I can keep my heroes in "happily ever after" and not "Divorced, dead and miserable. And childless."

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I think Disney will look at the bigger picture as yes, the sequels took 4 billion (or something like that) but they have harmed the Star Wars brand quite significantly. You only need to look at their shift from movies to TV to see the short term effect of the fall out.

As for remaking them, I don't see why they'd bother, but I really like Jeremy and UKS musings on new stories not constrained by the sequels being canon.

grinchy

Sith Lord
Didn't mean to offend in my post, i was referring to those people who can't let it go, and there are a fair few of them, i like the sequels, i have my gripes as does everyone, but i think they did a great job moving the story forward, disney will do whatever makes the most cash, but remaking the films i doubt is on the cards

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
The ST is an unmitigated disaster. A rushed, ill-conceived, mismanaged, creatively bankrupt mess.

And that's its good points.

Even so, I can't see Disney going for a remake.
For one, that would mean they would have to admit they made an almighty mistake. They're just not going to do that.
Secondly, they'd have to come up with something creatively unique by themselves, which they seem incapable of.

More likely, the ST will be quietly forgotten and consigned to the history bin labelled "The Biggest Missed Opportunity in Cinematic History".

Can't agree that the ST "moved the story forward". If anything it moved it backwards.
Repeated story beats and character arcs. Minimal world building. Storylines that went nowhere, set-ups without pay-offs and vice-versa.
The only interesting character was the deserting stormtrooper and they even made him into a joke.
It even managed to make the OT retroactively redundant. Quite a feat all-in-all.

Hopefully, there is light at the end of the tunnel in the shape of John Favreau. The Mandalorian is not perfect, but its a step in the right direction.
He seems to be making a power play at the moment, what with his recent comments regarding respecting the fans.

Us butthurt fanboys can only hope :roll:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
grinchy said:
Didn't mean to offend in my post, i was referring to those people who can't let it go, and there are a fair few of them, i like the sequels, i have my gripes as does everyone, but i think they did a great job moving the story forward, disney will do whatever makes the most cash, but remaking the films i doubt is on the cards

I feel pretty much the same way mate. They will just move on with new stuff now, I'm pretty sure. Really excited for all the TV productions and new films that will be the start of a new, more original era.

Let's not turn this into yet another sequel-bashing/sequel-basher-bashing thread again please fellas. It's all been done before...

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
grinchy said:

Fair enough, and thanks for saying so :). I just often feel like everyone that doesn't like the sequels (and there are plenty of us) seem to get lumped together as whingers, when we're just as entitled to our opinions as those that do like them, and neither side deserves to be called names by the other.

I agree with you completely regarding Disney doing whatever makes them the most cash. Personally, whilst I would love them to remake the sequels, I also consider it a very longshot, even if they were to somehow make the current sequels non-canonical. It would take a very impressive publicity campaign indeed to try to explain to the casual film-going public that what they saw before just a few years ago wasn't 'real', but these new films are! I think that's a recipe for utter confusion, but what do I know? :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Omg no, I sure hope not. Just let the other ones burn and leave them in the past, forget them and move on, they would only make it worse remaking them. And knowing them they'd probably make them even more 'woke' than the last ones, while changing and ruining the cannon of the entire SW saga even more in the process.

The whole Skywalker thing is 40 years old too and is now boring, I don't care about new films, the magic of the OT cannot be recaptured and all the best story/plot ideas have already been used up decades ago. Just do something completely different, not Skywalker related and maybe something in a whole different era.

There's also been rumours they've been pondering on the idea of remaking the OT..... if that ever happens I am done, I will never watch anything SW related ever again that gets released.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom