SWFUK

MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Ask expert collectors for advice on pricing items.
stumble
New User
New User
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:21 am
Location: Brighton

MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby stumble » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 am

Hi All.

My parents are having a big sort out and found this:
https://imgur.com/a/AZ7MEMb

We guess it was bought for me around Christmas 1982 / 83, but someone else in the family got me the same figure. So this one was packed away and forgotten about.

The card is clean and straight. The bubble is intact, but creased slightly on top. You can see this in the photo of the front - between his hand and knee, on the right hand side. There is a scuff across the card on the front, top right.

Could you please help me with a valuation? Searching for ESB Palitoy Darth Vader auctions on ebay only brings up items with the Palitoy logo on the front of the card.

Many thanks!

User avatar
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5508
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby lejackal » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:46 pm

Welcome to the forum, that’s a lovely card!

One sold on eBay.com a year ago at auction for £423 which was graded but had a cracked bubble.

I wouldn’t be surprised if yours was in the £500-700 range but there are more knowledgeable Palitoy collectors that will be able to help with a more accurate valuation.

I’ll message a couple of them.

User avatar
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2833
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby palitoyjunky » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:58 pm

V nice looking example 8)
Agreed, sensible ball park.
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

User avatar
olisuds
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Essex

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby olisuds » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:00 pm

I’d say it was a bit more than that in today’s market. Whilst the non logo 45b is a little less desirable. Vader is a relatively rare one and it looks in great shape. I’d say £800+

I’m putting together a run of 45b myself so please let me know if you are looking to part with this as I’d definitely be interested in buying.

Cheers Oli

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2968
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Wonderful :) Palitoy 45B card, which is why you don’t have the Palitoy logo. Vader is quite hard to find which is why one which will make an OK (and only) OK reseal just ended for £54 on eBay.

Olisuds (edit - just seen your response now) here has done a bit of a guide on rarity of Palitoy 45Bs and has this listed as “Very Rare”. Other than the reseal I’ve not seen one for sale in a very long time.

Always hard to tell with Palitoy 45B cardbacks what they will go for, but seen some sell for stupid money of late so best advice would be auction. Personal preference being ebay. Carl’s estimate is entirely reasonable, I think, but you really can’t tell.

Please, whatever you do, don’t respond to any PMs asking for a direct sale as you will NOT get best price, guaranteed. It’s also a weasily move by the PMers, especially when it’s directed to those who don’t understand just how contested the acquisition of Palitoy items can be. You have a very desirable figure there.

If you do put him up on auction please be sure to post the link back here. You’ll find plenty of willing bidders, myself included.

stumble
New User
New User
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:21 am
Location: Brighton

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby stumble » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Thank you for the replies and information so far.

So this is classified as a 45B version?
And £600-£800 would be a reasonable expectation at auction, but with the chance it could go for more with the right bidders?

User avatar
olisuds
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Essex

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby olisuds » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:40 pm

For what it’s worth here was my breakdown on rarity although it’s hard to distinguish some of them as most 45b other than a handful are quite rare. I think Andy Clarke felt there were a few more Vader’s out there and it should be a ‘Rare’ rather than ‘Very Rare’. He had 2 himself at one point. On that basis I changed Vader to ‘Rare’ as I had intended to use ‘very rare’ when only 1 or 2 examples known. It’s fairly subjective and I’m not that experienced to say either way myself.

Palitoy 45b Rarity

Luke Skywalker - M
Princess Leia Organa - VR
Chewbacca - C (TT)
Darth Vader - VR
Stormtrooper - R
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi - M
Han Solo - M
Jawa - VR
Sand People - U
Death Squad Commander - M
Greedo - R
Hammerhead - R
Snaggletooth - VR
Walrus Man - R
Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot - M
R5-D4 - VR
Death Star Droid - R
Power Droid - VR
Boba Fett - R
Leia Organa (Bespin Gown) - VR
FX-7 - M
Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear) - R
Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear) - R
Bossk (Bounty Hunter) - VC (TT)
IG-88 - M
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) - VR
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit) - R
Lando Calrissian - M
White Bespin Security Guard - M
Yoda - R
Ugnaught - U
Dengar - VR
Han Solo (Bespin Outfit) - VR
Lobot - U
Leia (Hoth Outfit) - VR
Rebel Commander - M
AT-AT Driver - C
Imperial Commander - R
2-1B - M
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) (with Sensorscope) - M
C-3PO (Removable Limbs) - M
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear) - M
AT-AT Commander - C
(Twin-Pod) Cloud Car Pilot - VC
Black Bespin Security Guard - VC
4-LOM - VC
Zuckuss - U
Imperial Tie Fighter Pilot - VC (TT)

VR = Very Rare
R = Rare
M = Medium
C = Common
VC = Very common
U = Unknown
TT = Toy Toni

Using these labels relative in comparison to other 45b.

User avatar
olisuds
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Essex

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby olisuds » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:43 pm

stumble wrote:Thank you for the replies and information so far.

So this is classified as a 45B version?
And £600-£800 would be a reasonable expectation at auction, but with the chance it could go for more with the right bidders?


Yes definitely a 45b. I’d be very surprised if it didn’t go to above £800+ at auction due to rarity, condition and popularity of character.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2968
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:36 pm

stumble wrote:Thank you for the replies and information so far.

So this is classified as a 45B version?
And £600-£800 would be a reasonable expectation at auction, but with the chance it could go for more with the right bidders?


You've got it :)

User avatar
Andyclarke
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1096
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby Andyclarke » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:02 am

Personally, I think £800 is a bit on the high side. I've had a couple of these myself and come across a couple of others besides. If someone is offering £800 I'd snatch their hands off.

User avatar
olisuds
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Essex

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby olisuds » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:49 am

You’re probably right Andy, I guess I was just hoping that stumble would snatch my hands off :D

Funnily enough this morning I just spotted Pat over on Rebelscum has one. Not sure if it’s one you owned Andy but either way that’s 3-4 further examples I wasn’t aware of so I’d go with your judgement that it’s more of a ‘rare’ than ‘very rare’.

Anyway I’d be happy to pay a competitive price for it or otherwise would appreciate getting heads up if it goes on eBay. Not that eBay is necessarily going to always give best price. I’m sure we’ve all picked up our fair share of bargains or lost stuff at a fraction of its price. There are no guarantees. And then there are the eBay and PayPal fees to consider.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:39 pm

olisuds wrote:For what it’s worth here was my breakdown on rarity although it’s hard to distinguish some of them as most 45b other than a handful are quite rare. I think Andy Clarke felt there were a few more Vader’s out there and it should be a ‘Rare’ rather than ‘Very Rare’. He had 2 himself at one point. On that basis I changed Vader to ‘Rare’ as I had intended to use ‘very rare’ when only 1 or 2 examples known. It’s fairly subjective and I’m not that experienced to say either way myself.

Palitoy 45b Rarity

Luke Skywalker - M
Princess Leia Organa - VR
Chewbacca - C (TT)
Darth Vader - VR
Stormtrooper - R
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi - M
Han Solo - M
Jawa - VR
Sand People - U
Death Squad Commander - M
Greedo - R
Hammerhead - R
Snaggletooth - VR
Walrus Man - R
Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot - M
R5-D4 - VR
Death Star Droid - R
Power Droid - VR
Boba Fett - R
Leia Organa (Bespin Gown) - VR
FX-7 - M
Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear) - R
Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear) - R
Bossk (Bounty Hunter) - VC (TT)
IG-88 - M
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) - VR
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit) - R
Lando Calrissian - M
White Bespin Security Guard - M
Yoda - R
Ugnaught - U
Dengar - VR
Han Solo (Bespin Outfit) - VR
Lobot - U
Leia (Hoth Outfit) - VR
Rebel Commander - M
AT-AT Driver - C
Imperial Commander - R
2-1B - M
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) (with Sensorscope) - M
C-3PO (Removable Limbs) - M
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear) - M
AT-AT Commander - C
(Twin-Pod) Cloud Car Pilot - VC
Black Bespin Security Guard - VC
4-LOM - VC
Zuckuss - U
Imperial Tie Fighter Pilot - VC (TT)

VR = Very Rare
R = Rare
M = Medium
C = Common
VC = Very common
U = Unknown
TT = Toy Toni

Using these labels relative in comparison to other 45b.


Fascinating list, must take a lot of knowledge and experience to formulate a list like that!

Is there a big value difference between 45A and 45B?

Are the figures with TT against them also available as original and how does that affect thier rarity?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

User avatar
sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 6925
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby sith-smith » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Yes I agree. That's a great list you have done there.

With regards to your question Anthony, there is usually a huge difference between 45a and b.

Though a great looking card, there's never as much demand as people prefer the cards with the logo.

Even If the b version is rarer the a will usually get a higher price.

TT versions still seem to command reasonable prices. Logically I would have thought that an original one would be significantly more. Not seen as recent sales to give an example though
martial arts, death, killing stuff......crazy fucking ninja.

MY FEEDBACK

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 6927
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Gateshead UK

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby Richard_H » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Phew - glad I got my 45b R5 already then
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: MOC Empire Strikes Back Palitoy Darth Vader

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 pm

sith-smith wrote:Yes I agree. That's a great list you have done there.

With regards to your question Anthony, there is usually a huge difference between 45a and b.

Though a great looking card, there's never as much demand as people prefer the cards with the logo.

Even If the b version is rarer the a will usually get a higher price.

TT versions still seem to command reasonable prices. Logically I would have thought that an original one would be significantly more. Not seen as recent sales to give an example though


So are the Chewbacca, Bossk and Tie Fighter still common in original condition (not TT)?

Does the 45C Rarity List differ much from the 45B?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.


Return to “Vintage Valuation Requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron