Vintage loose valuation

djcox

Hi All,
I believe the going estimate for a complete loose set of all vintage figures (excluding the rarer variants) is in the £3-4K range?

However, how much would a graded (at UKG80 or higher) set cost?
Also, having never graded loose before how much does grading actually cost per figure (or for a whole set)?

Trying to work out if it is worth grading a set or not...
(i.e. would the cost To grade be retained once all are graded).....?

Lindo

Sith Lord
You can find the cost of grading at ukgraders just Google it and it will bring it up, I think its about £12 for a standard figure give or take

tobeshadow

Padawan
I've never looked into grading but have always wondered whether it was something worth doing? Have any posters on here had a collection graded, rather than individual figures? I can see the advantages in financial terms and also that you get good verification of original items, just not sure it would benefit me that much as a collector?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If you want to sell them as a job lot, sell them ungraded IMO. If you want max profit and are willing to do the work grade them and sell individually. Remember though if some figures get lower grades, they may be worth less than leaving ungraded. Just my thoughts.

jared007

Padawan
djcox said:
Trying to work out if it is worth grading a set or not... (i.e. would the cost To grade be retained once all are graded).....?

I think you need to be really sure of the condition of your figures (ie, really good condition) to go ahead with grading and expect the value to be retained. Here's a bit of food for thought using Star Wars Tracker to demonstrate with a B-Wing pilot.

If your figure only ends up grading in the 70/75 range, then recent sales would suggest you can get £30-£35 resale value:

gradedAnalysis.png

However, as a loose figure ungraded in similar condition, this might be as much as £22-£26:

looseAnalysis.png

So if grading itself costs £12 (and maybe there is extra for post and handling), then you are suddenly up around £34-£38 all in which leaves very little margin for added value.

If however, you can start getting *good grades*, then perhaps the financials start to work in your favour. As shown below for grades >= 80, then you start to have a bit more margin for value added. £40-£60 is now the ball-park that you could expect at resale. Hope this helps!

goodGrades.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom