ROTJ 65 Palitoy Chewbacca MOC value?

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
Hi everyone,

not that I own one but I was wondering how much I should be expecting to pay for a ROTJ 65 Palitoy Chewbacca MOC?

I need to determine if it would fit my budget and where I should put it on my priority WTB list.

Thanks in advance for any input.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I paid £200 for mine a while back, I perhaps overpaid slightly because I wanted one with a trilogo bubble (firstly for my focus but also to 100% guarantee it wasn't a Toy Toni.)

It's worth mentioning that these are a bit subjective, as Toni used the correct bubbles on them, so telling them apart from the real things can be difficult/impossible.

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
edd_jedi said:
I paid £200 for mine a while back, I perhaps overpaid slightly because I wanted one with a trilogo bubble (firstly for my focus but also to 100% guarantee it wasn't a Toy Toni.)

It's worth mentioning that these are a bit subjective, as Toni used the correct bubbles on them, so telling them apart from the real things can be difficult/impossible.

Thanks mate, I wouldn't mind a Trilogo bubble on mine either if it guarantees it's not a forgery.

I've to admit I had never heard of Toy Toni until I joined this forum recently and started collecting again, something I hadn't done since the early 2000.

I have been reading about him since. Looks like I dodged many bullets.

You have me a bit worried now as I was planning to move a Palitoy Chewie MOC high on my priority list.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Unfortunately they are quite hard to spot. Here's one sold as a Toni recently:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382833946079

And here's one that was supposedly authentic:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264146497451

As you can see the bubble and placements are almost identical, so you would need to look at other things like the quality of the seal, COO of figure inside etc to try and determine if it's legit. Personally I would swerve these as it's too hard to tell, and nobody can be 100% sure. Get one with a trilogo bubble if you don't want to risk it.

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
Thank you so much for your help and input.

Dear god that's quite scary.

You have convinced me 100% , I think it will be trilogo bubble or nothing.

Something else I had in mind before that, was to get one with a yellowed bubble even though in my limited experience it seems that Palitoy bubbles are less prone to yellowing than Kenner ones?

Or perhaps Toy Toni faked that as well?

edd_jedi said:
Unfortunately they are quite hard to spot. Here's one sold as a Toni recently:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382833946079

And here's one that was supposedly authentic:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264146497451

As you can see the bubble and placements are almost identical, so you would need to look at other things like the quality of the seal, COO of figure inside etc to try and determine if it's legit. Personally I would swerve these as it's too hard to tell, and nobody can be 100% sure. Get one with a trilogo bubble if you don't want to risk it.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I can't recall seeing any Toni's with yellow bubbles, but there could well be.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:

I've seen a couple on the turn. In fact, I'm not entirely sure I haven't got one. Off to check....

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
If I read the numbers correctly from the thread I found in here, there are approx 143 Toy Toni ROTJ 65 back Chewies out there ???

I'm definitely not taking any chances so it will be Trilogo bubble for me .

Question is, how rare a 65 back Palitoy Chewbacca with trilogo bubble is?

A yellowed bubble wouldn't really fit my focus anyways.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:

Here you go, Edd. Full on discolouration on a TT bubble. I've long said "it's got a yellow bubble, it's not a TT" is not a reasonable test, nor even an indicator and think this nails that argument shut.

Of note, like a TT TFP I also have that's turning yellow, the yellowing is uneven. Check the bottom left of 3POs bubble versus the top right. With my TFP the top left of the bubble has started to turn but the rest is clear.

249B26FD-42A5-4AF2-A458-9DC29FFD6A2B.jpeg

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
ScruffyLookingNH said:
edd_jedi said:

Here you go, Edd. Full on discolouration on a TT bubble. I've long said "it's got a yellow bubble, it's not a TT" is not a reasonable test, nor even an indicator and think this nails that argument shut.

Of note, like a TT TFP I also have that's turning yellow, the yellowing is uneven. Check the bottom left of 3POs bubble versus the top right. With my TFP the top left of the bubble has started to turn but the rest is clear.

Incredible :( . Shouldn't the 3po net be in a baggie? or is it I can't really tell. Did he miss that or both versions existed?

I'm really glad I started this thread , thanks again for the input.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mr-Trilogo said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
edd_jedi said:

Incredible :( . Shouldn't the 3po net be in a baggie? or is it I can't really tell. Did he miss that or both versions existed?

I'm really glad I started this thread , thanks again for the input.

If the net isn't in a baggies it's usually a sign you're looking at a TT 3PO. The net seen here is not in a baggie.

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
palitoyjunky said:
I sold my example with a Tri bubble for £220 a year or so ago. It was a clean card.

Thanks for the input mate. I'll be moving a Palitoy Chewie with trilogo bubble on top of my list for next month.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom