Interesting article on video game collecting

A place to discuss, buy/sell and trade retro video games.
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Interesting article on video game collecting

Post by edd_jedi »

Found this article which a lot of vintage collectors will relate to:

https://kotaku.com/deep-pocketed-collec ... 1837073847

I've been saying for years that the video game market is 'immature' and it's only a matter of time until it suffers the fate of Star Wars collecting - grading, speculators, variant collecting etc.

TK-7785
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: Interesting article on video game collecting

Post by TK-7785 »

"A fool and their money are easily parted". :roll: I fucking hate speculators, in any area. Be it collectables, property, classic cars... Some people may not think them speculators, but anyone who must have "the best of the best" at any financial cost is a bit psychotic. For some it's all about money. Get your priorities straight!
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

Yes it does bother me that a by product of speculation is pricing genuine collectors out of the market, when half these people don't even like the things they're buying.

lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

Let the dick swinging commence :lol:

I’m pretty new to collecting full stop but especially so when it comes to video games but some of the reactions to graded games being sold on the collecting groups are pretty funny.

Unfortunately there is an inevitability about it, if there’s cash to be be made these types will follow.

On the bright side I like playing my games and mostly go for items I had or played originally. I’ve little to no interest in sealed items- the exceptions being a sealed copy of each Dreamcast Soulcalibur (ntsc, ntsc-j and pal) and I’d love a set of sealed Domark Spectrum games.

I think it might be good to have a gaming thread on here, as well as the other vintage collections one, anyone else fancy one?

TK-7785
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TK-7785 »

I'll second that; an 'Other Vintage Section' would be welcome. I know a few guys in here collect other vintage toy lines, myself included.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

Well you know I would love a video game section :lol: anyone else?

lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

TK-7785 wrote:I'll second that; an 'Other Vintage Section' would be welcome. I know a few guys in here collect other vintage toy lines, myself included.
As you wish......
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212

lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

edd_jedi wrote:Well you know I would love a video game section :lol: anyone else?
Scott aka Clarkspieandchips would for sure

TK-7785
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TK-7785 »

lejackal wrote:
TK-7785 wrote:I'll second that; an 'Other Vintage Section' would be welcome. I know a few guys in here collect other vintage toy lines, myself included.
As you wish......
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212
I was kinda thinking more specifically. Like a Other Collections section with sub forums like Video Games, MOTU, Action Force etc, as opposed to just one giant thread for eveything. But I guess it depends on whether there's enough interest and traffic.
WANTED:
ROTJ Store Display Items

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by Clarkspie&chips »

lejackal wrote:Scott aka Clarkspieandchips would for sure
Thanks for thinking of me, I would absolutely love a video game section.

I’ve got a decent library of retro games and I’m happy to post but my collecting habits are different with games because unlike Star Wars figures, it’s not such a taboo to play with them :wink:
So condition isn’t overly important for me and games for SNES and N64 which are my favourite systems are hard to open without causing some distress to the packaging anyway.

lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

Clarkspie&chips wrote:
lejackal wrote:Scott aka Clarkspieandchips would for sure
Thanks for thinking of me, I would absolutely love a video game section.

I’ve got a decent library of retro games and I’m happy to post but my collecting habits are different with games because unlike Star Wars figures, it’s not such a taboo to play with them :wink:
So condition isn’t overly important for me and games for SNES and N64 which are my favourite systems are hard to open without causing some distress to the packaging anyway.
I’m definitely one for playing, I’ve actually just bought a CRT and got the Dreamcast set up as nature intended. £8 well spent :mrgreen: