Interesting article on video game collecting

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Found this article which a lot of vintage collectors will relate to:

https://kotaku.com/deep-pocketed-collectors-are-fueling-a-retro-game-gold-1837073847

I've been saying for years that the video game market is 'immature' and it's only a matter of time until it suffers the fate of Star Wars collecting - grading, speculators, variant collecting etc.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
"A fool and their money are easily parted". :roll: I ****ing hate speculators, in any area. Be it collectables, property, classic cars... Some people may not think them speculators, but anyone who must have "the best of the best" at any financial cost is a bit psychotic. For some it's all about money. Get your priorities straight!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes it does bother me that a by product of speculation is pricing genuine collectors out of the market, when half these people don't even like the things they're buying.

lejackal

Grand Master
Let the dick swinging commence :lol:

I'm pretty new to collecting full stop but especially so when it comes to video games but some of the reactions to graded games being sold on the collecting groups are pretty funny.

Unfortunately there is an inevitability about it, if there's cash to be be made these types will follow.

On the bright side I like playing my games and mostly go for items I had or played originally. I've little to no interest in sealed items- the exceptions being a sealed copy of each Dreamcast Soulcalibur (ntsc, ntsc-j and pal) and I'd love a set of sealed Domark Spectrum games.

I think it might be good to have a gaming thread on here, as well as the other vintage collections one, anyone else fancy one?

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I'll second that; an 'Other Vintage Section' would be welcome. I know a few guys in here collect other vintage toy lines, myself included.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well you know I would love a video game section :lol: anyone else?

lejackal

Grand Master
TK-7785 said:
I'll second that; an 'Other Vintage Section' would be welcome. I know a few guys in here collect other vintage toy lines, myself included.
As you wish......
https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212

TK-7785

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
TK-7785 said:
As you wish......
https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212

I was kinda thinking more specifically. Like a Other Collections section with sub forums like Video Games, MOTU, Action Force etc, as opposed to just one giant thread for eveything. But I guess it depends on whether there's enough interest and traffic.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
Scott aka Clarkspieandchips would for sure

Thanks for thinking of me, I would absolutely love a video game section.

I've got a decent library of retro games and I'm happy to post but my collecting habits are different with games because unlike Star Wars figures, it's not such a taboo to play with them :wink:
So condition isn't overly important for me and games for SNES and N64 which are my favourite systems are hard to open without causing some distress to the packaging anyway.

lejackal

Grand Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
lejackal said:
Scott aka Clarkspieandchips would for sure

Thanks for thinking of me, I would absolutely love a video game section.

I've got a decent library of retro games and I'm happy to post but my collecting habits are different with games because unlike Star Wars figures, it's not such a taboo to play with them :wink:
So condition isn't overly important for me and games for SNES and N64 which are my favourite systems are hard to open without causing some distress to the packaging anyway.
I'm definitely one for playing, I've actually just bought a CRT and got the Dreamcast set up as nature intended. £8 well spent :mrgreen:

Diamond76

Padawan
I have World Games by Epyx and Gary Linekers Superstar Soccer by Gremlin in my display cabinet along with Subbuteo TV Camera crew. Reminds me of the early 80's. Both games are 8 bit Amstrad CPC 464 if you remember that beast. We had the green monitor!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom