SWTOTW, Week 42, 2018, Part 1/2 "Battle-Damaged" Imperial Tie Fighter Vehicle

Pomse2001

Grand Master
"Battle-Damaged" Imperial Tie Fighter Vehicle:

tie.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Good choice, Lars! The '"Battle-Damaged" Imperial Tie Fighter Vehicle'... another jaw-breaker from the same book of Kenner toy names as 'Darth Vader's Star Destroyer Action Playset'! Fortunately however, unlike the Star Destroyer (which is a fun playset), this actually looks pretty much like the thing it's supposed to. However, both as a child and as an adult, I was never a fan of Kenner's Battle-damage stickers. Once added to your vehicle, you couldn't easily remove them and you then had a permanently altered toy. And to add insult to injury, although we didn't know it back in the 80's, the battle-damage stickers had a very nasty habit of curling up at the edges over time and looking dreadful!

I'm sure plenty of fans loved / love them, but I'd rather the battle-damage stickers weren't applied, so I was delighted when I came across this example many years ago where the previous owner had decided not to apply them:

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 01.jpg

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 02.jpg

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 03.jpg

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 04.jpg

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 05.jpg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Love that example as well, really nice box and yes I agree on the sticker front. :)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Another mint example Jeremy.
Very nice indeed.
I agree with you on the battle damage stickers, best left off.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Good choice, Lars! The '"Battle-Damaged" Imperial Tie Fighter Vehicle'... another jaw-breaker from the same book of Kenner toy names as 'Darth Vader's Star Destroyer Action Playset'! Fortunately however, unlike the Star Destroyer (which is a fun playset), this actually looks pretty much like the thing it's supposed to. However, both as a child and as an adult, I was never a fan of Kenner's Battle-damage stickers. Once added to your vehicle, you couldn't easily remove them and you then had a permanently altered toy. And to add insult to injury, although we didn't know it back in the 80's, the battle-damage stickers had a very nasty habit of curling up at the edges over time and looking dreadful!

I'm sure plenty of fans loved / love them, but I'd rather the battle-damage stickers weren't applied, so I was delighted when I came across this example many years ago where the previous owner had decided not to apply them:

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 01.jpg

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 02.jpg

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 03.jpg

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 04.jpg

Wrinkly Battle Damage - 05.jpg

Thanks Jeremy for sharing pictures of that awesome tie fighter, I never had one as I kid, so I made my own with lego :lol:
I have also never placed the stickers on a tie so I do not know if it is good or bad with the stickers :? but I guess the glue will not work forever so the stickers can also not be used forever so after thinking about it maybe they should have made them different :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Here are mine,again sorry about that some of them is old pictures with kitchen background. I hope to find some time to replace them with purple background. I have 2 bi-logo boxes and the instructions is different on them, see the pictures and then I have a kenner.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.jpg

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Very nice indeed.
Thanks Nick :)

It's a shame Kenner didn't come up with some sort of static cling stickers for the battle damage. That would have made them both removable and increased the play value as kids would have been able to move them around the toys at will to simulate fresh battle damage each time they played with them... Perhaps I should have been a toy designer :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Here are mine,again sorry about that some of them is old pictures with kitchen background. I hope to find some time to replace them with purple background. I have 2 bi-logo boxes and the instructions is different on them, see the pictures and then I have a kenner.

Thanks for the kind words about my TIE Fighter, Lars. And I have to say that your collection is its typically superb self! That's a fabulous collection of TIE Fighters you have! I don't own many Kenner versions of toys where there was a Palitoy equivalent, as I tried to collect Palitoy and had neither the space nor money to also buy the Kenner versions, so it's great to see both in a collection like yours.

Thanks for sharing :)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Mini99 said:
Very nice indeed.
Thanks Nick :)

It's a shame Kenner didn't come up with some sort of static cling stickers for the battle damage. That would have made them both removable and increased the play value as kids would have been able to move them around the toys at will to simulate fresh battle damage each time they played with them... Perhaps I should have been a toy designer :lol:

A good idea.
I suspect that this would be every boys dream job!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

Thanks for the kind words about my TIE Fighter, Lars. And I have to say that your collection is its typically superb self! That's a fabulous collection of TIE Fighters you have! I don't own many Kenner versions of toys where there was a Palitoy equivalent, as I tried to collect Palitoy and had neither the space nor money to also buy the Kenner versions, so it's great to see both in a collection like yours.

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for the kind words :D I do not have so many palitoy boxes. I think most boxes that was sold in denmark was kenner, tri-logo and bilogo and then some palitoy but not as many as kenner also a few meccano and pbp was sold. Most of the boxes that I have is bought here in denmark and many of them is found in childhood collections. Also why I have 3, if I remember correct both bi-logo was found in 2 different childhood lots and since I am a variant collector then I could not sell them :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom