SWTOTW, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2 Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) (Droids)

Here you can browse the popular 'toy of the week' threads which focus on particular characters or vehicles.
User avatar
spoons
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 8284
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by spoons »

Good to see your R2s chaps - how does the saber differ from the regular one?
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs
User avatar
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Palifan »

spoons wrote:Good to see your R2s chaps - how does the saber differ from the regular one?

From what I can remember the shade of green differs slightly and maybe the length (although I'm not so sure about that). Hopefully someone can fill us in a bit more but I do remember seeing a comparison at some point although maybe it was between the Kenner and Glasslite ones.

Ian
User avatar
spoons
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 8284
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by spoons »

Thanks Ian - I had no idea
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs
User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2389
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

This was my one. I bought if with the intention of originally breaking him free of his case.

I was a bit too quick on the draw when I purchased him and didn’t notice the slight chip in the dome. I was interested to know if AFA had graded him 75 with the chip or whether he had sustained it afterwards. He doesn’t move around in the case and when I contacted AFA they said that, while they couldn’t disclose information of that nature to me even though he was now in my possession (note UKG will disclose), they did say that a chip of this nature could be a possible reason for scoring a 75 and it could theoretically have scored higher without.

Well to cut a long story short I decided he didn’t really fit in my collection even though I do like both the Droids R2 and C3PO, so I decided to sell him to fund my failed DSD 20 Back MOC purchase. The money was finally put to good use in the recent purchase of my 12 Back DSC. :D
Attachments
DEF14700-7214-4A03-8ABC-32B552D15D0E.jpeg
DEF14700-7214-4A03-8ABC-32B552D15D0E.jpeg (295 KiB) Viewed 732 times
C3CE6DE7-3EE4-4DCA-9EF0-B2E2AC6F4EC9.jpeg
C3CE6DE7-3EE4-4DCA-9EF0-B2E2AC6F4EC9.jpeg (198.37 KiB) Viewed 732 times
2032F23D-2F4D-4231-93FC-7D1FF88B6A66.jpeg
2032F23D-2F4D-4231-93FC-7D1FF88B6A66.jpeg (276.79 KiB) Viewed 732 times
User avatar
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4015
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Mini99 »

I’m surprised that he graded 75% with that clip to the dome.
Would have thought it would be more like a 60%?
Glad to hear that you managed to turn him into something that you wanted.
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13944
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Pomse2001 »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:This was my one. I bought if with the intention of originally breaking him free of his case.

I was a bit too quick on the draw when I purchased him and didn’t notice the slight chip in the dome. I was interested to know if AFA had graded him 75 with the chip or whether he had sustained it afterwards. He doesn’t move around in the case and when I contacted AFA they said that, while they couldn’t disclose information of that nature to me even though he was now in my possession (note UKG will disclose), they did say that a chip of this nature could be a possible reason for scoring a 75 and it could theoretically have scored higher without.

Well to cut a long story short I decided he didn’t really fit in my collection even though I do like both the Droids R2 and C3PO, so I decided to sell him to fund my failed DSD 20 Back MOC purchase. The money was finally put to good use in the recent purchase of my 12 Back DSC. :D
Nice Droid you had, sorry to read you sold it, but I am glad you got something cool for the money 8)
User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2389
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Mini99 wrote:I’m surprised that he graded 75% with that clip to the dome.
Would have thought it would be more like a 60%?
Glad to hear that you managed to turn him into something that you wanted.
Yes, it was a shame they couldn’t be more definitive than that. I was surprised to learn that too, but I wanted to know ahead of selling it in case anyone asked me.
Attachments
D39487F5-733E-428C-84DE-F36B29C2F4D1.jpeg
D39487F5-733E-428C-84DE-F36B29C2F4D1.jpeg (95.85 KiB) Viewed 724 times
User avatar
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Palifan »

Great graded example even with the chip but I'm also surprised at the grade. Also isn't it a bit odd that AFA won't disclose any grading info?! They know these things change hands so why on earth would they not let you know, maybe there aren't any notes when they grade but didn't want to admit it. :roll:

Ian
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Snaketibe »

Agreed, 75% does seem a generous grade. Mind you, in all other respects the figure looks lovely.

Thanks for sharing the pictures anyway :-)
User avatar
s1d0w
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by s1d0w »

Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 11.11.02.png
Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 11.11.02.png (643.56 KiB) Viewed 346 times
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Snaketibe »

s1d0w wrote:Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 11.11.02.png
Great stuff!
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13944
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 1, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Pomse2001 »

s1d0w wrote:Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 11.11.02.png
wow another r2, this time the droids, even with a coin 8) thanks for sharing it :wink:
Post Reply