SWTOTW, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2 Turret/Probot Playset

Here you can browse the popular 'toy of the week' threads which focus on particular characters or vehicles.
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13944
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

SWTOTW, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2 Turret/Probot Playset

Post by Pomse2001 »

Turret/Probot Playset:
hoth.jpg
hoth.jpg (219.98 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Snaketibe »

I love the Turret and Probot playset! As a kid, for me it was always streets ahead of the Imperial Attack Base, even though the latter did considerably more and was (I must grudgingly admit as an adult) actually the superior toy. However, the Imperial Attack Base wasn't in The Empire Strikes Back, whereas both a turret and a probot were! This made a real difference to me as a child :-D. Why would I want something that wasn't even in the film, when I could have something that was?! For that reason, I bought myself a T&P with my Christmas and birthday money as an 8 year-old, but never bothered with an IAB until adulthood :lol:

I've owned a Kenner Turret and Probot playset for ages after buying one off Jim Stevenson many, many years ago. However, as a Palitoy fan first and foremost, I was never completely satisfied with it, but I was also very slack about upgrading it to a Palitoy one. Years pass by, and Palitoy Turret and Probot playsets in good condition become increasingly scarce and expensive to buy, and I kick myself for not buying one earlier :(

However, I was very recently lucky enough to finally acquire one at long last. I'd still like to upgrade it to a better one, but it's certainly a whole lot better than not having one at all, and I am grateful to have it.

So here then are my two Turret and Probot playsets. I'm planning on selling the Kenner one if anyone's interested, as I simply don't have the space to display both, but for the time being I can do a Lars and show off more than one different box :-D!
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 01.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 01.jpg (120.05 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 02.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 02.jpg (99.15 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 03.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 03.jpg (98.16 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 04.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 04.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 05.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 05.jpg (104.76 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 06.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 06.jpg (120.07 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 07.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 07.jpg (122.15 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 08.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 08.jpg (126.39 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 09.jpg
Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 09.jpg (104.21 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
User avatar
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4015
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Mini99 »

What a great pair. :roll:
Looking at both base’s are they the same?
Do I assume that this was one play set that Palitoy didn’t “improved” from the Kenner one?
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Snaketibe »

Mini99 wrote:What a great pair. :roll:
Looking at both base’s are they the same?
Do I assume that this was one play set that Palitoy didn’t “improved” from the Kenner one?
Thanks :-)

By the time Empire came along, Palitoy had stopped altering the Kenner toys, so no, they didn't change anything but the box :-D
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13944
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Pomse2001 »

Snaketibe wrote:I love the Turret and Probot playset! As a kid, for me it was always streets ahead of the Imperial Attack Base, even though the latter did considerably more and was (I must grudgingly admit as an adult) actually the superior toy. However, the Imperial Attack Base wasn't in The Empire Strikes Back, whereas both a turret and a probot were! This made a real difference to me as a child :-D. Why would I want something that wasn't even in the film, when I could have something that was?! For that reason, I bought myself a T&P with my Christmas and birthday money as an 8 year-old, but never bothered with an IAB until adulthood :lol:

I've owned a Kenner Turret and Probot playset for ages after buying one off Jim Stevenson many, many years ago. However, as a Palitoy fan first and foremost, I was never completely satisfied with it, but I was also very slack about upgrading it to a Palitoy one. Years pass by, and Palitoy Turret and Probot playsets in good condition become increasingly scarce and expensive to buy, and I kick myself for not buying one earlier :(

However, I was very recently lucky enough to finally acquire one at long last. I'd still like to upgrade it to a better one, but it's certainly a whole lot better than not having one at all, and I am grateful to have it.

So here then are my two Turret and Probot playsets. I'm planning on selling the Kenner one if anyone's interested, as I simply don't have the space to display both, but for the time being I can do a Lars and show off more than one different box :-D!

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 01.jpg

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 02.jpg

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 03.jpg

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 04.jpg

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 05.jpg

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 06.jpg

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 07.jpg

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 08.jpg

Isn't the Probot a Bit Close to the Turret - 09.jpg
do a Lars :lol: wow that is some beautiful boxes and great to see you have more than one box to share :lol: I love this 2 playsets. Is there any difference between the kenner and palitoy playset ? :? Thanks mate for sharing them with all of us :D
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13944
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Pomse2001 »

Snaketibe wrote:
Mini99 wrote:What a great pair. :roll:
Looking at both base’s are they the same?
Do I assume that this was one play set that Palitoy didn’t “improved” from the Kenner one?
Thanks :-)

By the time Empire came along, Palitoy had stopped altering the Kenner toys, so no, they didn't change anything but the box :-D
Oh I can see others have asked about the same thing :oops: :lol:
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13944
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Pomse2001 »

I only have this box :lol:
01.jpg
01.jpg (107.76 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (260.56 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (111.13 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Snaketibe »

Pomse2001 wrote:I only have this box :lol:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg
That's great box and a very clean toy, Lars. Thanks for sharing :-)

Also, I have learned something new, as your Kenner box calls the toy the 'Turret/Probot Playset', whereas both my Kenner and Palitoy boxes call it the 'Turret & Probot Playset'. Yours was not a variation I was previously aware of.

Every day's a school day in this hobby! :-D
User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2389
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Congratulations Jeremy. I know you’d been after a Palitoy version for absolutely ages. They look great
User avatar
Dr_Ball_MD
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Dr_Ball_MD »

Image
User avatar
spoons
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 8284
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by spoons »

I didn’t know there was a name change on this either, but you have some great examples. Presumably there’s a Canadian one too?

I have this Palitoy in a bit of tatty box but it does for me
DBC04A62-5706-4C7E-9DBD-DFA2A1BD08E1.jpeg
DBC04A62-5706-4C7E-9DBD-DFA2A1BD08E1.jpeg (77.7 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
7DD4D581-5590-45BF-B87D-DF894C394ED9.jpeg
7DD4D581-5590-45BF-B87D-DF894C394ED9.jpeg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs
User avatar
poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5254
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by poncho »

I've got a loose probot! Wap wap wap wap...
Attachments
20190204_161835.jpg
20190204_161835.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
User avatar
poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5254
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by poncho »

I saw a baggie probot for £10 once on a eBay buy it now. It was listed for ages I regret not buying it. People are selling loose ones now for £40! That's just no fun is it. Pleased to say I got a loose one for £12 about 4 years ago :-)
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Snaketibe »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Congratulations Jeremy. I know you’d been after a Palitoy version for absolutely ages. They look great
Thanks, Jay. Yes, it certainly took a while, but I managed to pick one up very recently. As you can see, it's roughly the same condition as my Kenner box, so I don't feel like I've downgraded when 'switching' to Palitoy! I'm still on the lookout for a really top condition Palitoy one, but I don't expect to find one quickly! :lol:
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 5, 2019, Part 2/2

Post by Snaketibe »

Dr_Ball_MD wrote:Image
A nice clean example. So often the bases are dirty, but yours looks spotless! Thanks for sharing :-)
Post Reply