SWTOTW, Week 24, 2019, Part 1/2 Dagobah Action Playset

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Dagobah Action Playset:

home.jpeg

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
One of my only real Star Wars memories involves this set. We had an end of term bring your toy to school day in the 2nd year juniors when I would have been 8 (so 1984). I can't remember what I took in but my best mate Stuart McCombie brought in the Dagobah Action Playset and I was so jealous. Shame the foam so often deteriorates otherwise this would be a must have for me with my little Yoda side focus. Look forward to seeing people's posts.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
One of my only real Star Wars memories involves this set. We had an end of term bring your toy to school day in the 2nd year juniors when I would have been 8 (so 1984). I can't remember what I took in but my best mate Stuart McCombie brought in the Dagobah Action Playset and I was so jealous. Shame the foam so often deteriorates otherwise this would be a must have for me with my little Yoda side focus. Look forward to seeing people's posts.
Nice story, Jay. I never owned one of these as a child either. It was actually one of the few Empire toys I didn't, along with the Imperial Attack Base (which I didn't want), and the AT-AT (which I really, REALLY did! :lol:). The Dagobah playset is a great toy, and surely an easy win for Hasbro if they ever wanted to upgrade it in the modern line, despite their constant bleating that playsets don't sell (then give us some good ones!).

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
So, making up for not having one as a kid, I bought myself one of these as an adult! :-D

This playset has grown on me over the years. As a child, I always felt it lacked something, however as the years have passed, I've grown to really like it a lot. It does a surprising amount of things for such a compact set, with a foamy bog to trap R2, Jedi Force lifters for Luke to float some cargo boxes (which are included!) and R2, 2 action levers for Luke to battle Vader's apparition, plus a third lever / lifter to raise up other figures. Oh, and you can also fit figures inside the thing... Which brings me to another question, because for my entire life I've always thought the central brown 'dome' was supposed to be Yoda's house, but looking at it today, right now, I realise it looks a lot more like a tree stump! :oops: Is this supposed to be the dark Force site Luke ventured into on Dagobah? Is it a random tree stump around which action reigns? Or is it indeed meant to be Yoda's Love Shack after all?!

Whatever the answer, here's mine:

Hovel Action Playset - 01.jpg

Hovel Action Playset - 02.jpg

Hovel Action Playset - 03.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Come on guys. Does no-one else have one of these they're willing to share with the forum? I'm hoping to see some Kenner boxed examples of this great toy :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Which brings me to another question, because for my entire life I've always thought the central brown 'dome' was supposed to be Yoda's house, but looking at it today, right now, I realise it looks a lot more like a tree stump! :oops: Is this supposed to be the dark Force site Luke ventured into on Dagobah? Is it a random tree stump around which action reigns? Or is it indeed meant to be Yoda's Love Shack after all?!
Interesting idea. Like you I had always assumed it was Yoda's shack but looking at it maybe you're onto something. If only it had come with a few snakes

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Come on guys. Does no-one else have one of these they're willing to share with the forum? I'm hoping to see some Kenner boxed examples of this great toy :)
I've never had this play set so I've never given it any thoughts, but I'm sure that you're right.
It certainly does look like the place that Luke confronted Vader more than Yoda's house.
Those "lifting" prongs for the crates look very flimsy!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
I've never had this play set so I've never given it any thoughts, but I'm sure that you're right.
It certainly does look like the place that Luke confronted Vader more than Yoda's house.
Those "lifting" prongs for the crates look very flimsy!
Yes, I think it's fair to say the prongs weren't Kenner's finest work! Mind you, they're still stronger than the tips of Luke, Ben and Vader's sabers! :lol:

UKS

Jedi Knight
Funny, I don't remember my friendship group ever really getting into play sets.

The only one I can remember was Ewok village. I think one acquaintance we co-opted as he had an action force base that "looked like the Death Star."

(Spoiler - it pretty much was!)

UKS

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:

Great story mate, I agree shame with the foam :(

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
So, making up for not having one as a kid, I bought myself one of these as an adult! :-D

This playset has grown on me over the years. As a child, I always felt it lacked something, however as the years have passed, I've grown to really like it a lot. It does a surprising amount of things for such a compact set, with a foamy bog to trap R2, Jedi Force lifters for Luke to float some cargo boxes (which are included!) and R2, 2 action levers for Luke to battle Vader's apparition, plus a third lever / lifter to raise up other figures. Oh, and you can also fit figures inside the thing... Which brings me to another question, because for my entire life I've always thought the central brown 'dome' was supposed to be Yoda's house, but looking at it today, right now, I realise it looks a lot more like a tree stump! :oops: Is this supposed to be the dark Force site Luke ventured into on Dagobah? Is it a random tree stump around which action reigns? Or is it indeed meant to be Yoda's Love Shack after all?!

Wow great playset and the foam looks great :shock: I think it should looks like Yoda's Love Shack :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Here is my set, I do not know if the bag is the original bag from the set, but I got it with the set many years ago when I bought it. I think it was in the early 00. I hope you like it, the foam is broken :(

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Have Box and Instructions but no idea where they are ATM

Attachments

• IMG_2363.JPG
    IMG_2363.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • IMG_2364.JPG
    IMG_2364.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,005

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Wow great playset and the foam looks great :shock: I think it should looks like Yoda's Love Shack :lol:
Thanks, Lars :)

Yes, the foam seems to be holding up well on my playset... at least for now! I know it has a tendency to disintegrate over time, so I imagine mine will go that way eventually, but for the time-being it's doing alright.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Here is my set, I do not know if the bag is the original bag from the set, but I got it with the set many years ago when I bought it. I think it was in the early 00. I hope you like it, the foam is broken :(

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg
Well, you granted my wish, Lars. What a terrific Kenner example! That's a great condition box and it's nice to see you have the instructions and booklet too :)

Thanks for sharing.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Thanks, Lars :)

Yes, the foam seems to be holding up well on my playset... at least for now! I know it has a tendency to disintegrate over time, so I imagine mine will go that way eventually, but for the time-being it's doing alright.

Great to see it is holding up, I bought mine between 15 and 18 years ago and the foam was broken when I bought mine, I remember other collectors told me then it was very normal and they were hard to find with good foam, so I guess your set is rare with the perfect foam 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg
Well, you granted my wish, Lars. What a terrific Kenner example! That's a great condition box and it's nice to see you have the instructions and booklet too :)

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate, I am very happy that you like it :D Yes I have the instruction and booklet. The only thing that I am not sure about is the bag, the boxes that luke lift with the force was in the bag. But I do not know if it is original for the playset :?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom