SWTOTW, Week 46, 2019 Luke Skywalker (Battle Poncho)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Luke Skywalker (Battle Poncho):

luke.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Luke Skywalker (Battle Poncho), aka Luke Skywalker (How can we make this figure different from the Luke Jedi Knight figure? I know, let's make his helmet non-removable, slap on a poncho and belt, and take away his lightsaber!).

OK, that might sound a bit harsh, but it's basically what Kenner did with this figure. Given that the Leia Endor figure came with a removable helmet, it's baffling and frankly inexcusable that the equivalent Luke figure did not. And it does compromise the figure quite a bit, since if you want Luke to wear his poncho, but not his helmet, you have to literally transfer the poncho and belt across to the Luke Jedi Knight figure. Madness! Still, not as mad as not including his lightsaber! What on earth were Kenner thinking? Plus the fact that even if you donate a lightsaber to him, his left hand is sculpted with such an open grip he can't hold anything in it anyway, and hence unlike the frankly superior in every way Luke Jedi Knight figure, Luke Poncho can't hold two weapons simultaneously.

You might have gathered that this isn't my favourite figure! :lol: It's a shame, because those very justified complaints aside, this is a reasonable figure, and but for the existence of the Luke Jedi Knight figure, it might be held in higher regard. Still, it will always have that 'Last 15/17-ness' going for it, which elevates it undeservedly above many of its peers in the eyes of many collectors.

Anyway, as always, no loose run is complete without one, so here's mine, plus a POTF MOC:

Luke in Fistful of Dollars - 01.jpg

Luke in Fistful of Dollars - 02.jpg

Luke in Fistful of Dollars - 03.jpg

Luke in Fistful of Dollars - 04.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
Luke Skywalker (Battle Poncho):

luke.jpg

Thanks mate for sharing this amazing moc and that beautiful figure 8) I would say kenner could for sure have done a better job. They could have used luke jedi again or changed the legs on luke jedi for luke battle poncho, give him a removable helmet like leia got and a green lightsaber. But the belt and the poncho is great for the figure if I should something good about the figure.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Luke Skywalker (Battle Poncho), aka Luke Skywalker (How can we make this figure different from the Luke Jedi Knight figure? I know, let's make his helmet non-removable, slap on a poncho and belt, and take away his lightsaber!).

OK, that might sound a bit harsh, but it's basically what Kenner did with this figure. Given that the Leia Endor figure came with a removable helmet, it's baffling and frankly inexcusable that the equivalent Luke figure did not. And it does compromise the figure quite a bit, since if you want Luke to wear his poncho, but not his helmet, you have to literally transfer the poncho and belt across to the Luke Jedi Knight figure. Madness! Still, not as mad as not including his lightsaber! What on earth were Kenner thinking? Plus the fact that even if you donate a lightsaber to him, his left hand is sculpted with such an open grip he can't hold anything in it anyway, and hence unlike the frankly superior in every way Luke Jedi Knight figure, Luke Poncho can't hold two weapons simultaneously.

You might have gathered that this isn't my favourite figure! :lol: It's a shame, because those very justified complaints aside, this is a reasonable figure, and but for the existence of the Luke Jedi Knight figure, it might be held in higher regard. Still, it will always have that 'Last 15/17-ness' going for it, which elevates it undeservedly above many of its peers in the eyes of many collectors.

Anyway, as always, no loose run is complete without one, so here's mine, plus a POTF MOC:

Ok I just ****ed up, I answered my own post and not yours :oops: :lol:

so I try again :lol:

Thanks mate for sharing this amazing moc and that beautiful figure 8) I would say kenner could for sure have done a better job. They could have used luke jedi again or changed the legs on luke jedi for luke battle poncho, give him a removable helmet like leia got and a green lightsaber. But the belt and the poncho is great for the figure if I should something good about the figure.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Ok I just ****ed up, I answered my own post and not yours :oops: :lol:

so I try again :lol:

Thanks Lars :)

Replying to your own post? :lol:

UKS

Jedi Knight
My first experience with this chap was as jumble sale in the late eighties. I saw him and assumed a leia hat was wedged onto a Luke - And when I discovered it was a new figure I had never seen - I was so so excited! I never knew the full Last 17 range as they never appeared on the back of any packaging I ever saw.

I think I had to run and get some money from my mum to get him. That nervousness that he'd be gone... and then of course he wasn't. After all, who wanted a SW figure, especially loose and with no accessories? I seem to remember I paid ten pence.

As a figure? Lame. But as a childhood memory? priceless!

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Sorry about the pic. It's an oldie and my last 17 is definitely packed away. :?

When I first came across the last 17 a few years ago under the euphoria of a new discovery I really liked this figure (not saying much I also liked Barada). But then I realised you can't take off his helmet...

Attachments

• 2A0D5726-90CE-4F36-9272-1581E1C1DE03.jpeg
    2A0D5726-90CE-4F36-9272-1581E1C1DE03.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,029

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:

When I first came across the last 17 a few years ago under the euphoria of a new discovery I really liked this figure (not saying much I also liked Barada). But then I realised you can't take off his helmet...

I think the picture is great, but it is hard to see the figure correct when the picture is laying down or is luke just taking a nap :lol:

Nice figure it looks very mint and thanks for sharing him :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Only 1 loose Jeremy :lol:

Yep :lol:

There are no visually different variants on Luke Poncho that I am aware of, so there's only one to collect!

It could be fading and then maybe it is not, but the poncho can be found in light and dark brown pattern

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Only 1 loose Jeremy :lol:

Yep :lol:

There are no visually different variants on Luke Poncho that I am aware of, so there's only one to collect!

It could be fading and then maybe it is not, but the poncho can be found in light and dark brown pattern

Thanks. I look forward to seeing your pictures of both! :-D

Yossarian75

Padawan
The one saving grace with the helmet is at least it's not another accessory you can loose and have to buy to complete.

Attachments

• 20191120_191836.jpg
    20191120_191836.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 964

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:

I haven't thanked you for sharing! My apologies. Thanks for sharing your Luke. It looks great, even sideways! :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Yossarian75 said:
The one saving grace with the helmet is at least it's not another accessory you can loose and have to buy to complete.

Nice complete figure, thanks for sharing it :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Ok here are my luke poncho items, I still miss a tri-logo moc in that part of my collection :D
2 luke poncho figures complete with blasters, 3 tri-logo cardbacks with 3 different danish price stickers,1 potf cardback and the silver coin.

P1190042.JPG

01.jpg

P1190043.JPG

P1190045.JPG

P1190046.JPG

P1190047.JPG

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Ok here are my luke poncho items, I still miss a tri-logo moc in that part of my collection :D
2 luke poncho figures complete with blasters, 3 tri-logo cardbacks with 3 different danish price stickers,1 potf cardback and the silver coin.

P1190042.JPG

01.jpg

P1190043.JPG

P1190045.JPG

P1190046.JPG

P1190047.JPG

Great stuff, Lars! Thanks for sharing :)

Are these the light and dark poncho variants you mentioned? I know you don't like using flash with your photos, so perhaps it's that, but whilst there does seem to be a difference in the shade of the dark brown shapes on the ponchos of your two figures, it doesn't seem to be a massive difference either. However, what does appear to be different is the leg stance of your figures, with one being narrow and the other wide. Are these two figures different COOs?

Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom