SWTOTW, Week 50, 2019 Darth Vader Tie Fighter

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Darth Vader Tie Fighter:

011.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
The Darth Vader TIE Fighter was my Christmas present in 1978 :-D. And I had one long before (or so it seemed to me back then!) I got a regular white TIE Fighter, so my space battle recreations were strictly limited to Luke's X-Wing vs Darth's TIE Fighter until Mr White eventually showed up :lol:

This isn't my favourite Star Wars toy, but I do like it a lot. Because it was one of the very first non-figure Star Wars toys I ever owned, it holds a special place in my affections, and always will. The box is rather over-sized given the contents, and also somewhat flimsy, so it never ceases to amaze me just how many of these seem to have survived to the present day, and many of them in pretty good condition too!

Here's mine. A pretty nice box, complete with inner packaging and destructions. My apologies for the crap photos of the toy and inner packaging though. They were taken ages ago without flash, so I really should redo them at some point.

Vader's Runabout - 01.jpg

Vader's Runabout - 02.jpg

Vader's Runabout - 03.jpg

Vader's Runabout - 04.jpg

Vader's Runabout - 05.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
The Darth Vader TIE Fighter was my Christmas present in 1978 :-D. And I had one long before (or so it seemed to me back then!) I got a regular white TIE Fighter, so my space battle recreations were strictly limited to Luke's X-Wing vs Darth's TIE Fighter until Mr White eventually showed up :lol:

This isn't my favourite Star Wars toy, but I do like it a lot. Because it was one of the very first non-figure Star Wars toys I ever owned, it holds a special place in my affections, and always will. The box is rather over-sized given the contents, and also somewhat flimsy, so it never ceases to amaze me just how many of these seem to have survived to the present day, and many of them in pretty good condition too!

Here's mine. A pretty nice box, complete with inner packaging and destructions. My apologies for the crap photos of the toy and inner packaging though. They were taken ages ago without flash, so I really should redo them at some point.

Wow that palitoy vader is amazing it looks fantastic 8) Cool that you got one for christmas in 1978 :D I think the photos are great no need to redo them :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Here are my vader tie collection, again I never had one when I was a kid and I do not remember them from the stores in the 80s in denmark :(
But they were sold in denmark, because I have found one box so far with danish price sticker on the box :D and a friend of mine also have one that was sold in another toy store here in denmark.

First my kenner box with special offer, I still miss the instruction for it.

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 06.jpg

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 07.jpg

My Collector Series box, this was my first vader tie fighter, I got it in 2001 :D

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 09.jpg

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 10.jpg

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 11.jpg

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 12.jpg

and my Palitoy box, I bought it from a friend, who found it in a danish childhood lot :D ok the box have seen better days.

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 14.jpg

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 15.jpg

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 16.jpg

Darth Vader Tie Fighter 17.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Wow that palitoy vader is amazing it looks fantastic 8) Cool that you got one for christmas in 1978 :D I think the photos are great no need to redo them :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Here are my vader tie collection, again I never had one when I was a kid and I do not remember them from the stores in the 80s in denmark :(
But they were sold in denmark, because I have found one box so far with danish price sticker on the box :D and a friend of mine also have one that was sold in another toy store here in denmark.

My Collector Series box, this was my first vader tie fighter, I got it in 2001 :D

and my Palitoy box, I bought it from a friend, who found it in a danish childhood lot :D ok the box have seen better days.

That's a wonderful collection of Vader TIE Fighters. I especially like the Special Offer version :-D

It's always interesting to hear which toys were available in Denmark and which ones weren't. I remember going on holiday to both France and (in another year) Holland when I was a child between 1980 - 1982, and clearly remember seeing a lot of Star Wars toys in the shops, but I have no idea whether they carried the full range on offer in the UK or not. I do remember seeing a Palitoy Death Star (and it was Palitoy, not Meccano) for sale in the south of France though!

Thanks for sharing your collection :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Great examples. I would like to get my hands on one eventually as the Darth Vader Tie Fighter is one of my only real Star Wars memories as a kid. Going to the newly opened Tesco superstore in Colchester (which was an exciting trip in itself) in Christmas of 1982 (not long after it aired on ITV) and gazing at the super high aisles jam packed full of Star Wars figures and being asked to choose a present for Christmas. I chose Vader's Tie Fighter.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
That's a wonderful collection of Vader TIE Fighters. I especially like the Special Offer version :-D
Have to agree, the "Special Offer" versions of the ships were really a great idea by Kenner.
Those back drops make a great display and you don't see that many nowadays.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

It's always interesting to hear which toys were available in Denmark and which ones weren't. I remember going on holiday to both France and (in another year) Holland when I was a child between 1980 - 1982, and clearly remember seeing a lot of Star Wars toys in the shops, but I have no idea whether they carried the full range on offer in the UK or not. I do remember seeing a Palitoy Death Star (and it was Palitoy, not Meccano) for sale in the south of France though!

Thanks for sharing your collection :)

Thanks mate for the kind words :D

I still do some research with some other danes about what star wars toy that was sold in denmark, who sold it and when was it sold, looks like there is still a lot to learn. But so far it looks like star wars was hard to find in denmark until 1982 unless you lived in copenhagen, so far it has been very hard to find any info about star wars toy sold in denmark before 1982. We only know about one toy store chain at the moment that sold star wars before 1982 and they only had 6 shops in copenhagen. It looks like they could have had a deal with palitoy that they were the only toy chain that could sell star wars in denmark until 1982. We have learned in 1982 that chain was bankruptcy and another big toy chain bought it and got the right to sell star wars after that it also looks like a lot of other danish companies also got the right to sell star wars.

Interresting about the palitoy in france, maybe meccano could not make enough star wars toy so they had to import from palitoy :?

I also have an idea about denmark, maybe there was not sold so much star wars in denmark until maybe 1982 because kenner and palitoy could not deliver, maybe production was not big enough until 1982 or maybe first when rotj came :? there is a lot more rotj stuff out there and in collections that there is of sw and esb items. Maybe that could also be why the falcon first came to the uk in 1980 that you wrote in another post ? :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Great examples. I would like to get my hands on one eventually as the Darth Vader Tie Fighter is one of my only real Star Wars memories as a kid. Going to the newly opened Tesco superstore in Colchester (which was an exciting trip in itself) in Christmas of 1982 (not long after it aired on ITV) and gazing at the super high aisles jam packed full of Star Wars figures and being asked to choose a present for Christmas. I chose Vader's Tie Fighter.

Thanks mate for sharing that great christmas story, sorry to read that you do not have that tie anymore. I really hope that you get one again :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
Have to agree, the "Special Offer" versions of the ships were really a great idea by Kenner.
Those back drops make a great display and you don't see that many nowadays.

Thanks for the kind words :D I agree it was a great idea from kenner, many of the ones we see today are repro :( There was also one for the slave one special offer box, but the action play setting as they call it is not the same as the one for the vader tie. I think they used the same but they cut it different so it is much smaller for slave one.

spoons

Grand Master
Some lovely examples and this one is my favourite ship. Got it as a kid for a birthday or Christmas present, and only had mini rigs otherwise. Loved it!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Some lovely examples and this one is my favourite ship. Got it as a kid for a birthday or Christmas present, and only had mini rigs otherwise. Loved it!

Hi andy, cool that you got it for birthday or christmas, do you still have it ? :D

spoons

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

Hi andy, cool that you got it for birthday or christmas, do you still have it ? :D

Unfortunately long gone Lars, but I do have a nice Palitoy boded one in my collection

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

Unfortunately long gone Lars, but I do have a nice Palitoy boded one in my collection

sorry to read it is long gone :( ok my english is not perfect what does boded mean ? :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

If you can find time to share the boxed one then I would love to see it :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom