SWTOTW, Week 51, 2019 See-Threepio (C-3PO)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
See-Threepio (C-3PO):

c-3po.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
And mine...
Those two look great together Andy, looking for those two myself.

Attachments

• C6B2F155-90AC-4921-A811-170C9BA4C3E9.jpeg
    C6B2F155-90AC-4921-A811-170C9BA4C3E9.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,180

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Ruby2511 said:
Beautiful moc's 8)

Here's my lovely loose one :D

20191222_175143.jpg

With his friends :D

20191222_175032.jpg

Terrific stuff! I do love a little diorama :-D

Thanks for sharing.

Got a few to create in the new year :wink:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Good old C-3PO. One of the first 12 figures, and actually one of the better likenesses from that initial run. As much as we might love them, Kenner's early efforts weren't exactly spot-on doppelgangers for the characters they represented, but C-3PO was better than most. It was another childhood favourite, and one of the main reasons I loved it then is the same reason I love it today; vac-metalizing! A technique Hasbro have increasingly abandoned in the modern line, I've always loved the fact (even before I knew the term or what it did) that Kenner used vac-metalizing to make C-3PO as shiny and therefore as movie-accurate as he is. For those who don't know, vac (or vacuum) metalizing is a method for coating a very thin layer of actual metal onto another surface, in this case the plastic body of old Goldenrod, and the end results are terrific!

Of course Kenner famously made a running change to C-3PO part-way through the Empire line, replacing the fixed limbs version with the removable limbs one, but that doesn't mean there aren't variants to be found with the fixed limbs version. Far from it in fact. In addition to various widths of leg stance which range from the very narrow to the Blackadder-esque heroically wide, Takara in Japan famously did their own unique and completely different sculpts of Darth Vader, the Stormtrooper and C-3PO, all of which featured a cross-head screw in the centre of the figures' backs, rather than (in the case of Threepio), a rivet. The Takara C-3PO is sometimes referred to as having a different head sculpt (which it certainly does; one which is both wider and looking distinctly upwards), but it's not just the head, but rather the entire figure which is a different sculpt.

There is also a very nice red-gold finish version made by PBP, which is a completely different (and IMHO much nicer) shade of gold than that found on regular C-3PO's. There are other shades of gold finish available, ranging from the almost silver through to the various matte gold variants released by Glasslite in Brazil, Lili Ledy in Mexico and PBP in Spain, the latter two of which had a flat-head screw in their backs. Plus of course there is the brightly painted yellow and brown Droids variant.

I don't have any of the matte finish variants or the Droids one (truth be told, I'm not really a fan of them), but I do have 6 loose variants, including (from left to right below) two wide stance, one medium stance and one narrow stance regular C-3PO's, plus a red-gold finish PBP, and lastly a Takara alternate sculpt C-3PO.

And to finish things off, my Palitoy 12-back C-3PO, which for once isn't a reseal ;-)

User Car Salesman - 01.jpg

User Car Salesman - 02.jpg

User Car Salesman - 03.jpg

User Car Salesman - 04.jpg

User Car Salesman - 05.jpg

User Car Salesman - 06.jpg

User Car Salesman - 07.jpg

User Car Salesman - 08.jpg

User Car Salesman - 09.jpg

User Car Salesman - 10.jpg

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Good old C-3PO. One of the first 12 figures, and actually one of the better likenesses from that initial run. As much as we might love them, Kenner's early efforts weren't exactly spot-on doppelgangers for the characters they represented, but C-3PO was better than most. It was another childhood favourite, and one of the main reasons I loved it then is the same reason I love it today; vac-metalizing! A technique Hasbro have increasingly abandoned in the modern line, I've always loved the fact (even before I knew the term or what it did) that Kenner used vac-metalizing to make C-3PO as shiny and therefore as movie-accurate as he is. For those who don't know, vac (or vacuum) metalizing is a method for coating a very thin layer of actual metal onto another surface, in this case the plastic body of old Goldenrod, and the end results are terrific!

Of course Kenner famously made a running change to C-3PO part-way through the Empire line, replacing the fixed limbs version with the removable limbs one, but that doesn't mean there aren't variants to be found with the fixed limbs version. Far from it in fact. In addition to various widths of leg stance which range from the very narrow to the Blackadder-esque heroically wide, Takara in Japan famously did their own unique and completely different sculpts of Darth Vader, the Stormtrooper and C-3PO, all of which featured a cross-head screw in the centre of the figures' backs, rather than (in the case of Threepio), a rivet. The Takara C-3PO is sometimes referred to as having a different head sculpt (which it certainly does; one which is both wider and looking distinctly upwards), but it's not just the head, but rather the entire figure which is a different sculpt.

There is also a very nice red-gold finish version made by PBP, which is a completely different (and IMHO much nicer) shade of gold than that found on regular C-3PO's. There are other shades of gold finish available, ranging from the almost silver through to the various matte gold variants released by Glasslite in Brazil, Lili Ledy in Mexico and PBP in Spain, the latter two of which had a flat-head screw in their backs. Plus of course there is the brightly painted yellow and brown Droids variant.

I don't have any of the matte finish variants or the Droids one (truth be told, I'm not really a fan of them), but I do have 6 loose variants, including (from left to right below) two wide stance, one medium stance and one narrow stance regular C-3PO's, plus a red-gold finish PBP, and lastly a Takara alternate sculpt C-3PO.

And to finish things off, my Palitoy 12-back C-3PO, which for once isn't a reseal ;-)
Terrific collection Jeremy and really fascinating info on this one. In my opinion you have the early POCH version of Threepio. That red really pops. If that's the case you need the PBP 2 line coo slot screw variant in your life.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Snaketibe said:

Terrific collection Jeremy and really fascinating info on this one. In my opinion you have the early POCH version of Threepio. That red really pops. If that's the case you need the PBP 2 line coo slot screw variant in your life.

Thanks for that. I'm sure you're probably correct re mine being a Poch. It was sold to me as a PBP, but a lot of sellers do seem to mix and match the two, and I'm afraid I didn't have the knowledge to know any better, so thanks for the correction :)

The PBP 2 line slot screw variant sounds interesting! Have you got one you can share an image of?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I don't have one myself. But here are some great photos from the Javier Ruilopez PBP/Poch Made in Spain book. PBP figure on left, Kenner on right. Plus relevant Coo.

I've also sent you a PM

Attachments

• 2960CF04-A123-4C1C-AABA-1C3FC8FEF238.jpeg
    2960CF04-A123-4C1C-AABA-1C3FC8FEF238.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,074
  • 436C5FA4-6BB3-43B3-8BED-1086A1CBB9FC.jpeg
    436C5FA4-6BB3-43B3-8BED-1086A1CBB9FC.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 71F32019-9C65-45B8-86AD-ED2C0526EF06.jpeg
    71F32019-9C65-45B8-86AD-ED2C0526EF06.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,078

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
I don't have one myself. But here are some great photos from the Javier Ruilopez PBP/Poch Made in Spain book. PBP figure on left, Kenner on right. Plus relevant Coo.

I've also sent you a PM

Excellent! Thank you :-D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Cazza said:
Here's my MOC, with his best friend.
20191222_172716.jpg

Wow this 2 moc looks fantastic, thanks for sharing them 8) This was the first 2 moc I remember I saw in a store in denmark when I was a kid, but if I remember correct I was not old enough to play with star wars at that time :( but I remember the cardbacks. Funny they are very hard to find in danish childhood lots.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
And mine...
Those two look great together Andy, looking for those two myself.

wow that palitoy card also looks fantastic, is it a moc ? :shock: thanks for sharing it :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Ruby2511 said:
Beautiful moc's 8)

Here's my lovely loose one :D

20191222_175143.jpg

With his friends :D

20191222_175032.jpg

nice mint figure with his friends, they look fantastic, thanks for sharing them :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:

User Car Salesman - 01.jpg

User Car Salesman - 02.jpg

User Car Salesman - 03.jpg

User Car Salesman - 04.jpg

User Car Salesman - 05.jpg

User Car Salesman - 06.jpg

User Car Salesman - 07.jpg

User Car Salesman - 08.jpg

User Car Salesman - 09.jpg

User Car Salesman - 10.jpg

It looks fantastic all of it, cool to see a palitoy moc and also that takara c-3po, we do not see many of them in collections 8) Thanks for sharing your cool collection and for all the great info :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom