SWTOTW, Week 15, 2020 X-Wing Fighter

Pomse2001

Grand Master
X-Wing Fighter:

x-wing.jpeg

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Here's mine 😎

One of the first ships I had as a kid, it's such an iconic ship and a favourite of mine 👌
20200412_112333.jpg

20200412_112423.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Ruby2511 said:
Here's mine 😎

One of the first ships I had as a kid, it's such an iconic ship and a favourite of mine 👌
20200412_112333.jpg
20200412_112423.jpg

That's a great example Russ, but I'm afraid you've fallen foul of the separation Lars has employed with these Toy of the Week threads. He had a really difficult job of deciding how to separate out similar toys, or where there was a Kenner and Palitoy version, for instance. In some cases the threads are combined, whilst in others they each have their own thread. The X-Wing is one of those that Lars decided to separate along Battle-Damaged and non-Battle-Damaged lines, and the 'Battle-Damaged' version's thread can be found here https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38078. This new thread is for the original non-Battle-Damaged X-Wing... albeit this one thread is for both the Kenner version with the electronics and the Palitoy one without electronics... Confused? You will be! :lol:

Anyway, wrong thread or not, yours is a lovely example, so thanks for sharing it :)

Jeremy

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK here's mine. The X-Wing was a terrific toy when it was released. It looked like it should and had cool moving wings that could do what the ships did in the film! I loved it as a child, although I did slightly puzzle over the bump at the end of its nose, and which the 12A Palitoy cardbacks (not that I knew they were 12A's back then of course :lol: ) lead me to believe should have been a light, along with having electronic sounds:

False Advertising - 01.jpg

Back then, I think I just assumed Palitoy (who made the toys, clearly, since their name was on the packaging! :-D) had changed their minds and left out the light and sounds.

Of course I knew nothing of the different US versions of the toys back then, but actually whilst electronic sounds would have been great in the Palitoy version of the X-Wing, sticking a bright red LED in its nose made no sense at all, so I am very glad that Palitoy didn't bother, even if its exclusion was actually down to cost saving :). Kenner on the other hand clearly felt that adding a ridiculous non-canonical LED to the X-Wing's nose was very much the way to go, and included it at extra manufacturing expense... even keeping it in their later ESB Battle-Damaged version (and which Palitoy wisely continued to leave out in theirs).

Anyway, here are the photos. The ones taken out of the cabinet were once again taken without flash (a very stupid decision of mine made years ago when photographing my collection, which I have long since corrected on later photos), which means the colours look off and the boxes look in worse condition than they actually are (what a great decision that was!). I have therefore tried to make the colours look a bit more like they would with flash using Photoshop, but there's only so much polishing that can be done to turds (by which I mean the picture quality, not the contents :-D), so I must publish what I have and apologise for the relatively crap image quality:

Luke's Ride US - 01.jpg

Luke's Ride US - 02.jpg

Luke's Ride US - 03.jpg

Luke's Ride UK - 01.jpg

Luke's Ride UK - 02.jpg

Luke's Ride UK - 03.jpg

Luke's Rides - 01.jpg

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Ruby2511 said:
Here's mine 😎

20200412_112333.jpg
20200412_112423.jpg

That's a great example Russ, but I'm afraid you've fallen foul of the separation Lars has employed with these Toy of the Week threads. He had a really difficult job of deciding how to separate out similar toys, or where there was a Kenner and Palitoy version, for instance. In some cases the threads are combined, whilst in others they each have their own thread. The X-Wing is one of those that Lars decided to separate along Battle-Damaged and non-Battle-Damaged lines, and the 'Battle-Damaged' version's thread can be found here https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38078. This new thread is for the original non-Battle-Damaged X-Wing... albeit this one thread is for both the Kenner version with the electronics and the Palitoy one without electronics... Confused? You will be! :lol:

Anyway, wrong thread or not, yours is a lovely example, so thanks for sharing it :)

Jeremy

Whoops 😜😜😜

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
I played with my old X-wing and Landspeeder more than any other toy when God were a lad, i think i must have tried every one of the first 20/21 figures as a pilot :p

Here is a nice one i picked up some time ago.
Pristine white and clear glass.
Still have the sellotape that held the 4 cannons on but it has dried so keep them all in seperate bags.

Took a load more pics of this and other X-wings but photos keep repeating themselves or mixes up randomly, does my nut in.

Screenshot_20200413-120202.png
Screenshot_20200413-120220.png

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pulsar said:
I played with my old X-wing and Landspeeder more than any other toy when God were a lad, i think i must have tried every one of the first 20/21 figures as a pilot :p

Still have the sellotape that held the 4 cannons on but it has dried so keep them all in seperate bags.

Took a load more pics of this and other X-wings but photos keep repeating themselves or mixes up randomly, does my nut in.

Screenshot_20200413-120202.pngScreenshot_20200413-120220.png

Wow, that's a superb condition box! It looks brand new! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful example :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Ruby2511 said:
Here's mine 😎

20200412_112333.jpg
20200412_112423.jpg

A great x-wing, but as other write, wrong thread, I hope you will share it also in the correct thread, thanks for sharing it :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
OK here's mine. The X-Wing was a terrific toy when it was released. It looked like it should and had cool moving wings that could do what the ships did in the film! I loved it as a child, although I did slightly puzzle over the bump at the end of its nose, and which the 12A Palitoy cardbacks (not that I knew they were 12A's back then of course :lol: ) lead me to believe should have been a light, along with having electronic sounds:

False Advertising - 01.jpg

Back then, I think I just assumed Palitoy (who made the toys, clearly, since their name was on the packaging! :-D) had changed their minds and left out the light and sounds.

Of course I knew nothing of the different US versions of the toys back then, but actually whilst electronic sounds would have been great in the Palitoy version of the X-Wing, sticking a bright red LED in its nose made no sense at all, so I am very glad that Palitoy didn't bother, even if its exclusion was actually down to cost saving :). Kenner on the other hand clearly felt that adding a ridiculous non-canonical LED to the X-Wing's nose was very much the way to go, and included it at extra manufacturing expense... even keeping it in their later ESB Battle-Damaged version (and which Palitoy wisely continued to leave out in theirs).

Anyway, here are the photos. The ones taken out of the cabinet were once again taken without flash (a very stupid decision of mine made years ago when photographing my collection, which I have long since corrected on later photos), which means the colours look off and the boxes look in worse condition than they actually are (what a great decision that was!). I have therefore tried to make the colours look a bit more like they would with flash using Photoshop, but there's only so much polishing that can be done to turds (by which I mean the picture quality, not the contents :-D), so I must publish what I have and apologise for the relatively crap image quality:

Luke's Ride US - 01.jpg

Luke's Ride US - 02.jpg

Luke's Ride US - 03.jpg

Luke's Ride UK - 01.jpg

Luke's Ride UK - 02.jpg

Luke's Ride UK - 03.jpg

Luke's Rides - 01.jpg

Thanks mate for sharing this 2 beautiful boxes with vehicles 8) I love the red light on the kenner x-wing but the palitoy box looks more cool :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Pulsar said:

Screenshot_20200413-120202.pngScreenshot_20200413-120220.png

Another palitoy box, thanks for sharing this vehicle with that cool box 8)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Here are the 2 boxes that I have, I am not that lucky to have a palitoy box yet :(

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Those are great, Lars! I love the Miro-Meccano box, and it's interesting to see that the French market received the US version of this ship!

Thanks for sharing :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Here are the 2 boxes that I have, I am not that lucky to have a palitoy box yet :(

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Those are great, Lars! I love the Miro-Meccano box, and it's interesting to see that the French market received the US version of this ship!

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks mate for the very kind words, yes it is interesting that the french market did get the us version when the uk did not :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom