SWTOTW, Week 20, 2020 Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear)

Here you can browse the popular 'toy of the week' threads which focus on particular characters or vehicles.
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13703
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

SWTOTW, Week 20, 2020 Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear)

Post by Pomse2001 »

Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear):
luke hoth.jpeg
luke hoth.jpeg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 604 times

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Remember playing with this one a lot as a kid. Sticks out because of the unusual pose rather like the Black Bespin Guard
Attachments
04F723EC-902C-4DD8-A6EE-728D3DC33309.jpeg
04F723EC-902C-4DD8-A6EE-728D3DC33309.jpeg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 594 times

User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4142
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Snaketibe »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:39 pm
Remember playing with this one a lot as a kid. Sticks out because of the unusual pose rather like the Black Bespin Guard
Another lovely condition figure Jay.

Thanks for sharing :-)

User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4142
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Snaketibe »

Luke Hoth. It took Kenner a ridiculous amount of time to release this figure back in the 80's. We had the tauntaun to put Luke in loooong before we got Luke himself. And of course when we did finally get him, his pose / stance was completely inconsistent with the more neutral poses of all of the rest of the figures up to that point. The Black Bespin Guard emulated Luke Hoth's striding pose subsequently, and yes both figures have fans of those stances, but personally I've always disliked them, even though I do like the figures themselves. I dislike pre-posed figures because it feels like the toy manufacturer is telling me how I should be playing with / displaying my figures, and that annoys me... but as I say, I'm sure there are plenty of collectors that love these two figures precisely because of their different poses.

Anyway legs aside, this is a good figure IMHO, with an eccentric, but ultimately more sensibly posed scarf than that which came with the Rebel Commander. At least Luke can turn his head in both directions! :lol: As for variants, there are some of note. The Kenner version can be found in both a very soft sculpt and a very fine sculpt. Nowhere is this more in evidence than on Luke's jacket, and especially so on the reverse where the diagonal lines crisscrossing his back are noticeably deeper and more sharply defined on the fine sculpt. The paint and plastic dye used on each of these two figures is also subtly different from one another, with the fine sculpt figure having a slightly darker torso and much darker boots. The Meccano and PBP versions of this figure also utlise the fine rather than the soft sculpt, but the biggest difference by far between those two figures and the two Kenners is the wildly different shade of plastic used for the torso. On the PBP and Meccano versions it's a much, much lighter, almost yellow shade of brown. Sadly I don't have a PBP example to show you, but I do have a nice Meccano one on the right-hand side in the photos below, although I must say that even though the photos do show a clear colour difference between the Meccano torso and those on the Kenners, even so it really doesn't do the difference full justice, but that's the limitations of my camera I'm afraid.

So here they are, the two Kenners and a Meccano, plus the baggie Luke Hoth which came in the feeble Rebel Command Center Adventure Set:
Hoth and Cold - 01.jpg
Hoth and Cold - 01.jpg (132.82 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Hoth and Cold - 02.jpg
Hoth and Cold - 02.jpg (115.48 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Hoth and Cold - 03.jpg
Hoth and Cold - 03.jpg (67.55 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Hoth and Cold - 04.jpg
Hoth and Cold - 04.jpg (72.29 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Hoth and Cold - 05.jpg
Hoth and Cold - 05.jpg (77.02 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Hoth and Cold - 06.jpg
Hoth and Cold - 06.jpg (83.68 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Hoth and Cold - 07.jpg
Hoth and Cold - 07.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 591 times

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Nice examples. Love the Meccano. Great info as always.

User avatar
Ruby2511
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Ruby2511 »

Here's mine 😁
20200518_100917.jpg
20200518_100917.jpg (126.59 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Hi i'm Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13703
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Pomse2001 »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:39 pm
Remember playing with this one a lot as a kid. Sticks out because of the unusual pose rather like the Black Bespin Guard
Wow nice mint figure, thanks for sharing it. Is it the one you played with from your childhood ? I also had one when I was a kid and I loved to play with it, it was one of the last star wars items I got when I was a kid.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13703
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Pomse2001 »

Snaketibe wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:20 pm
Luke Hoth. It took Kenner a ridiculous amount of time to release this figure back in the 80's. We had the tauntaun to put Luke in loooong before we got Luke himself. And of course when we did finally get him, his pose / stance was completely inconsistent with the more neutral poses of all of the rest of the figures up to that point. The Black Bespin Guard emulated Luke Hoth's striding pose subsequently, and yes both figures have fans of those stances, but personally I've always disliked them, even though I do like the figures themselves. I dislike pre-posed figures because it feels like the toy manufacturer is telling me how I should be playing with / displaying my figures, and that annoys me... but as I say, I'm sure there are plenty of collectors that love these two figures precisely because of their different poses.

Anyway legs aside, this is a good figure IMHO, with an eccentric, but ultimately more sensibly posed scarf than that which came with the Rebel Commander. At least Luke can turn his head in both directions! :lol: As for variants, there are some of note. The Kenner version can be found in both a very soft sculpt and a very fine sculpt. Nowhere is this more in evidence than on Luke's jacket, and especially so on the reverse where the diagonal lines crisscrossing his back are noticeably deeper and more sharply defined on the fine sculpt. The paint and plastic dye used on each of these two figures is also subtly different from one another, with the fine sculpt figure having a slightly darker torso and much darker boots. The Meccano and PBP versions of this figure also utlise the fine rather than the soft sculpt, but the biggest difference by far between those two figures and the two Kenners is the wildly different shade of plastic used for the torso. On the PBP and Meccano versions it's a much, much lighter, almost yellow shade of brown. Sadly I don't have a PBP example to show you, but I do have a nice Meccano one on the right-hand side in the photos below, although I must say that even though the photos do show a clear colour difference between the Meccano torso and those on the Kenners, even so it really doesn't do the difference full justice, but that's the limitations of my camera I'm afraid.

So here they are, the two Kenners and a Meccano, plus the baggie Luke Hoth which came in the feeble Rebel Command Center Adventure Set:

Hoth and Cold - 01.jpg

Hoth and Cold - 02.jpg

Hoth and Cold - 03.jpg

Hoth and Cold - 04.jpg

Hoth and Cold - 05.jpg

Hoth and Cold - 06.jpg

Hoth and Cold - 07.jpg
Thanks mate for sharing your collection and all the great info about the figures, I hope you get a PBP in the future :D and that Meccano I love the colour :wink:

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13703
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Pomse2001 »

Ruby2511 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 am
Here's mine 😁

20200518_100917.jpg
some nice figures, great to see him on the tauntaun :D thanks for sharing them :wink:

User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4142
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Snaketibe »

Ruby2511 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 am
Here's mine 😁

20200518_100917.jpg
Great examples!

Thanks for sharing :-)

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Pomse2001 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:22 am
TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:39 pm
Remember playing with this one a lot as a kid. Sticks out because of the unusual pose rather like the Black Bespin Guard
Wow nice mint figure, thanks for sharing it. Is it the one you played with from your childhood ? I also had one when I was a kid and I loved to play with it, it was one of the last star wars items I got when I was a kid.
Ha I wish. Unfortunately no childhood Star Wars toys for me. Some other childhood items that I cherish though.

User avatar
Alisdairmac
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Alisdairmac »

Very nice description @Snaketibe
Ive always been a bit torn on this figure as you say because of the pose. Even as a child I thought the figure looked cool but remember the nonchalant pose never seemed quite right when it was time for him to go into battle.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13703
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Pomse2001 »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm
Pomse2001 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:22 am
TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:39 pm
Remember playing with this one a lot as a kid. Sticks out because of the unusual pose rather like the Black Bespin Guard
Wow nice mint figure, thanks for sharing it. Is it the one you played with from your childhood ? I also had one when I was a kid and I loved to play with it, it was one of the last star wars items I got when I was a kid.
Ha I wish. Unfortunately no childhood Star Wars toys for me. Some other childhood items that I cherish though.
The same here, I do not know if I still have mine. I was so stupid that I mixed my childhood items with other vintage items, so I only have a few items left that I know is from my childhood.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13703
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Pomse2001 »

ok here is my collection, 22 variants, a baggie and a few cardbacks :oops:
P1190914.JPG
P1190914.JPG (72.13 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190915.JPG
P1190915.JPG (74.29 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190916.JPG
P1190916.JPG (75.38 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190917.JPG
P1190917.JPG (76.1 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190918.JPG
P1190918.JPG (70.89 KiB) Viewed 492 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190929.JPG
P1190929.JPG (90.72 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Last edited by Pomse2001 on Tue May 19, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 13703
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 20, 2020

Post by Pomse2001 »

P1190919.JPG
P1190919.JPG (86.68 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190920.JPG
P1190920.JPG (115.53 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190921.JPG
P1190921.JPG (83.87 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190922.JPG
P1190922.JPG (117.57 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190923.JPG
P1190923.JPG (83.74 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190924.JPG
P1190924.JPG (113.15 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190925.JPG
P1190925.JPG (85.63 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190926.JPG
P1190926.JPG (114.34 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190927.JPG
P1190927.JPG (86.12 KiB) Viewed 492 times
P1190928.JPG
P1190928.JPG (110.02 KiB) Viewed 492 times

Post Reply