SWTOTW, Week 21, 2020 Imperial Troop Transporter / Imperial Cruiser

Here you can browse the popular 'toy of the week' threads which focus on particular characters or vehicles.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

SWTOTW, Week 21, 2020 Imperial Troop Transporter / Imperial Cruiser

Post by Pomse2001 »

Imperial Troop Transporter / Imperial Cruiser:
01.jpg
01.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 642 times

quins
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 21, 2020

Post by quins »

Loved this as a kid ! Looking forward to seeing what people have.

TheJabbaWookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Don’t have one of these but it’s high on my wish list. But here’s one I opened as a child :D
Attachments
B15BA274-16ED-4366-A942-23DEC768E322.jpeg
B15BA274-16ED-4366-A942-23DEC768E322.jpeg (153.86 KiB) Viewed 635 times

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:34 pm
Don’t have one of these but it’s high on my wish list. But here’s one I opened as a child :D
What a great photo! I wish I had some of me with my toys as a child, but sadly I don't, so thanks for sharing yours :-)

quins
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by quins »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Great photo!

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

OK full disclosure... I'm not really a fan of the Imperial Troop Transporter :shock:. Don't get me wrong, it's a great toy with loads of play value; it's got a mini record player that plays actual movie sounds quite literally at the press of a button, it can hold lots of figures, it has opening compartments, a rotating gun turret and radar scope, two 'prisoner immobilization units' (a rather grand name for a plastic hood :-))... it even has wheels to send it scooting across your floor... so what the hell's my problem with it? :lol:. Well, as a child I always disliked toys that weren't in the films, and this one wasn't. It's the same reason I don't have much love for the mini-rigs either, despite them being nifty little toys that filled an otherwise un-mined price-point for Kenner.

"But wait Jeremy, you overly critical ingrate," I hear you say. "What about 'The Mandalorian'? Jon Favreau, the current saviour of Star Wars, hilariously and brilliantly, incorporated a version of the Imperial Troop Transporter into his show, which finally makes the ITT canon after over 40 years, and therefore by your own definition you should no longer dislike it!"

OK, you've got me there. I LOVED its inclusion in 'The Mandalorian', and yes that does make it a canon vehicle, and yes that does make me like it more than before. At least a little. There's still an awful lot of years behind me where it wasn't canon, and that's a lot of time to simply shake off! :lol:

Anyway, personal dribblings and dislike aside, this IS a good toy, for all the reasons stated above. The same cannot however really be said for the much rarer and more expensive Sears exclusive 'Imperial Cruiser', which took the ITT, gutted the electronics from it (which let's face it, was the best thing about it), fractionally changed the mould to compensate for this, cast it in a lighter shade of grey and threw in some different stickers (although they did keep the 'prisoner immobilization units'... whoopee ;-)), and then flogged it in their Christmas catalogue in 1981, and then continued to do so into the release of 'Return of the Jedi', even though they didn't bother updating the packaging from its ESB branding.

For those of you unfamiliar with the 'Imperial Cruiser', or at least its differences from the 'Imperial Troop Transporter', I have put two labelled photos at the bottom of this post so you can see them for yourselves.

Lastly, there is a variant to be found on the ITT, in that it can come with both a red and a grey battery cover, however I only own the red one. I'm guessing Lars may be able to assist with the grey! :D
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 01.jpg
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 01.jpg (110.05 KiB) Viewed 619 times
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 02.jpg
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 02.jpg (163.18 KiB) Viewed 619 times
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 03.jpg
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 03.jpg (166.77 KiB) Viewed 619 times
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 04.jpg
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 04.jpg (135.2 KiB) Viewed 619 times
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 05.jpg
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 05.jpg (159.59 KiB) Viewed 619 times
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 06.jpg
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 06.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 619 times
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 07.jpg
The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 07.jpg (114.39 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Last edited by Snaketibe on Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Bloody hell, what a picture!!
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Thanks for sharing this fantastic childhood picture, sorry to read that you do not have the vehicle anymore. I hope you get another one :wink:

TheJabbaWookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Beautiful Jeremy

spoons
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by spoons »

One of the most iconic Star Wars vehicles - great examples here. It’s the first vehicle I remember seeing, your used to go to a childminder after school and her son had one. My first Star Wars memory
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 »

Snaketibe wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 pm
OK full disclosure... I'm not really a fan of the Imperial Troop Transporter :shock:. Don't get me wrong, it's a great toy with loads of play value; it's got a mini record player that plays actual movie sounds quite literally at the press of a button, it can hold lots of figures, it has opening compartments, a rotating gun turret and radar scope, two 'prisoner immobilization units' (a rather grand name for a plastic hood :-))... it even has wheels to send it scooting across your floor... so what the hell's my problem with it? :lol:. Well, as a child I always disliked toys that weren't in the films, and this one wasn't. It's the same reason I don't have much love for the mini-rigs either, despite them being nifty little toys that filled an otherwise un-mined price-point for Kenner.

"But wait Jeremy, you overly critical ingrate," I hear you say. "What about 'The Mandalorian'? Jon Favreau, the current saviour of Star Wars, hilariously and brilliantly, incorporated a version of the Imperial Troop Transporter into his show, which finally makes the ITT canon after over 40 years, and therefore by your own definition you should no longer dislike it!"

OK, you've got me there. I LOVED its inclusion in 'The Mandalorian', and yes that does make it a canon vehicle, and yes that does make me like it more than before. At least a little. There's still an awful lot of years behind me where it wasn't canon, and that's a lot of time to simply shake off! :lol:

Anyway, personal dribblings and dislike aside, this IS a good toy, for all the reasons stated above. The same cannot however really be said for the much rarer and more expensive Sears exclusive 'Imperial Cruiser', which took the ITT, gutted the electronics from it (which let's face it, was the best thing about it), fractionally changed the mould to compensate for this, cast it in a lighter shade of grey and threw in some different stickers (although they did keep the 'prisoner immobilization units'... whoopee ;-)), and then flogged it in their Christmas catalogue in 1981, and then continued to do so into the release of 'Return of the Jedi', even though they didn't bother updating the packaging from its ESB branding.

For those of you unfamiliar with the 'Imperial Cruiser', or at least its differences from the 'Imperial Troop Transporter', I have put two labelled photos at the bottom of this post so you can see them for yourselves.

Lastly, there is a variant to be found on the ITT, in that it can come with both a red and a grey battery cover, however I only own the red one. I'm guessing Lars may be able to assist with the grey! :D

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 01.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 02.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 03.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 04.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 05.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 06.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 07.jpg
Thanks mate for a fantastic post as always :lol: Well the vehicle was not in the movies but it was in the marvel comics in the good old days :lol: Thanks for sharing your awesome collection of boxes, I love that palitoy logo on that box and also that cruiser :wink: I first learned about this vehicle in 2001 :lol: I never saw one in denmark for sale when I was a kid, so I don't think it was sold in denmark and then again I have found a broken one in a danish childhood lot some years ago.

Maybe lars can help with a grey cover, I will talk with him about it :shock: :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 »

Ok here is are my boxes and I am glad that I could help jeremy with a grey cover :lol:

first my kenner box and then my palitoy box :D I still miss a cruiser :(
01.jpg
01.jpg (109.35 KiB) Viewed 576 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (104.04 KiB) Viewed 576 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 576 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (109.71 KiB) Viewed 576 times
05.jpg
05.jpg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 576 times
06.jpg
06.jpg (130.13 KiB) Viewed 576 times
07.jpg
07.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 576 times
08.jpg
08.jpg (116.52 KiB) Viewed 576 times
09.jpg
09.jpg (98.3 KiB) Viewed 576 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (124.39 KiB) Viewed 576 times

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 »

spoons wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:08 am
One of the most iconic Star Wars vehicles - great examples here. It’s the first vehicle I remember seeing, your used to go to a childminder after school and her son had one. My first Star Wars memory
Andy that is a cool memory to have, thanks for sharing it :D

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Cazza »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Brilliant pic!!!! 8)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

Pomse2001 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Ok here is are my boxes and I am glad that I could help jeremy with a grey cover :lol:

first my kenner box and then my palitoy box :D I still miss a cruiser :(

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg
Fantastic stuff, Lars! Beautiful examples and a grey battery cover too :-D