Pomse2001

Grand Master
Imperial Troop Transporter / Imperial Cruiser:

01.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Don't have one of these but it's high on my wish list. But here's one I opened as a child :D

What a great photo! I wish I had some of me with my toys as a child, but sadly I don't, so thanks for sharing yours :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK full disclosure... I'm not really a fan of the Imperial Troop Transporter :shock:. Don't get me wrong, it's a great toy with loads of play value; it's got a mini record player that plays actual movie sounds quite literally at the press of a button, it can hold lots of figures, it has opening compartments, a rotating gun turret and radar scope, two 'prisoner immobilization units' (a rather grand name for a plastic hood :))... it even has wheels to send it scooting across your floor... so what the hell's my problem with it? :lol:. Well, as a child I always disliked toys that weren't in the films, and this one wasn't. It's the same reason I don't have much love for the mini-rigs either, despite them being nifty little toys that filled an otherwise un-mined price-point for Kenner.

"But wait Jeremy, you overly critical ingrate," I hear you say. "What about 'The Mandalorian'? Jon Favreau, the current saviour of Star Wars, hilariously and brilliantly, incorporated a version of the Imperial Troop Transporter into his show, which finally makes the ITT canon after over 40 years, and therefore by your own definition you should no longer dislike it!"

OK, you've got me there. I LOVED its inclusion in 'The Mandalorian', and yes that does make it a canon vehicle, and yes that does make me like it more than before. At least a little. There's still an awful lot of years behind me where it wasn't canon, and that's a lot of time to simply shake off! :lol:

Anyway, personal dribblings and dislike aside, this IS a good toy, for all the reasons stated above. The same cannot however really be said for the much rarer and more expensive Sears exclusive 'Imperial Cruiser', which took the ITT, gutted the electronics from it (which let's face it, was the best thing about it), fractionally changed the mould to compensate for this, cast it in a lighter shade of grey and threw in some different stickers (although they did keep the 'prisoner immobilization units'... whoopee ;-)), and then flogged it in their Christmas catalogue in 1981, and then continued to do so into the release of 'Return of the Jedi', even though they didn't bother updating the packaging from its ESB branding.

For those of you unfamiliar with the 'Imperial Cruiser', or at least its differences from the 'Imperial Troop Transporter', I have put two labelled photos at the bottom of this post so you can see them for yourselves.

Lastly, there is a variant to be found on the ITT, in that it can come with both a red and a grey battery cover, however I only own the red one. I'm guessing Lars may be able to assist with the grey! :D

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 01.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 02.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 03.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 04.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 05.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 06.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 07.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Don't have one of these but it's high on my wish list. But here's one I opened as a child :D

Thanks for sharing this fantastic childhood picture, sorry to read that you do not have the vehicle anymore. I hope you get another one :wink:

spoons

Grand Master
One of the most iconic Star Wars vehicles - great examples here. It's the first vehicle I remember seeing, your used to go to a childminder after school and her son had one. My first Star Wars memory

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
OK full disclosure... I'm not really a fan of the Imperial Troop Transporter :shock:. Don't get me wrong, it's a great toy with loads of play value; it's got a mini record player that plays actual movie sounds quite literally at the press of a button, it can hold lots of figures, it has opening compartments, a rotating gun turret and radar scope, two 'prisoner immobilization units' (a rather grand name for a plastic hood :))... it even has wheels to send it scooting across your floor... so what the hell's my problem with it? :lol:. Well, as a child I always disliked toys that weren't in the films, and this one wasn't. It's the same reason I don't have much love for the mini-rigs either, despite them being nifty little toys that filled an otherwise un-mined price-point for Kenner.

"But wait Jeremy, you overly critical ingrate," I hear you say. "What about 'The Mandalorian'? Jon Favreau, the current saviour of Star Wars, hilariously and brilliantly, incorporated a version of the Imperial Troop Transporter into his show, which finally makes the ITT canon after over 40 years, and therefore by your own definition you should no longer dislike it!"

OK, you've got me there. I LOVED its inclusion in 'The Mandalorian', and yes that does make it a canon vehicle, and yes that does make me like it more than before. At least a little. There's still an awful lot of years behind me where it wasn't canon, and that's a lot of time to simply shake off! :lol:

Anyway, personal dribblings and dislike aside, this IS a good toy, for all the reasons stated above. The same cannot however really be said for the much rarer and more expensive Sears exclusive 'Imperial Cruiser', which took the ITT, gutted the electronics from it (which let's face it, was the best thing about it), fractionally changed the mould to compensate for this, cast it in a lighter shade of grey and threw in some different stickers (although they did keep the 'prisoner immobilization units'... whoopee ;-)), and then flogged it in their Christmas catalogue in 1981, and then continued to do so into the release of 'Return of the Jedi', even though they didn't bother updating the packaging from its ESB branding.

For those of you unfamiliar with the 'Imperial Cruiser', or at least its differences from the 'Imperial Troop Transporter', I have put two labelled photos at the bottom of this post so you can see them for yourselves.

Lastly, there is a variant to be found on the ITT, in that it can come with both a red and a grey battery cover, however I only own the red one. I'm guessing Lars may be able to assist with the grey! :D

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 01.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 02.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 03.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 04.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 05.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 06.jpg

The Mandalorian to the Rescue - 07.jpg

Thanks mate for a fantastic post as always :lol: Well the vehicle was not in the movies but it was in the marvel comics in the good old days :lol: Thanks for sharing your awesome collection of boxes, I love that palitoy logo on that box and also that cruiser :wink: I first learned about this vehicle in 2001 :lol: I never saw one in denmark for sale when I was a kid, so I don't think it was sold in denmark and then again I have found a broken one in a danish childhood lot some years ago.

Maybe lars can help with a grey cover, I will talk with him about it :shock: :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Ok here is are my boxes and I am glad that I could help jeremy with a grey cover :lol:

first my kenner box and then my palitoy box :D I still miss a cruiser :(

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
One of the most iconic Star Wars vehicles - great examples here. It's the first vehicle I remember seeing, your used to go to a childminder after school and her son had one. My first Star Wars memory

Andy that is a cool memory to have, thanks for sharing it :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Ok here is are my boxes and I am glad that I could help jeremy with a grey cover :lol:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Fantastic stuff, Lars! Beautiful examples and a grey battery cover too :-D

Thanks for sharing.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome, I am only glad that I could help :lol: I think I have an extra grey battery cover if you want one ? I can check, I know I have some parts from a childhood lot that I found some years ago and I am 99% sure that there was a grey cover in the lot, if there is one then you can get it for free :wink:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome, I am only glad that I could help :lol: I think I have an extra grey battery cover if you want one ? I can check, I know I have some parts from a childhood lot that I found some years ago and I am 99% sure that there was a grey cover in the lot, if there is one then you can get it for free :wink:

Hi Lars,

That's extremely kind of you, thank you. I'll send you a PM.

Jeremy

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Thanks for sharing guys. Here are mine:

Attachments

• IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_3563.JPG
    IMG_3563.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_3566.JPG
    IMG_3566.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_3565.JPG
    IMG_3565.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 541
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom