Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 27, 2020

Here you can browse the popular 'toy of the week' threads which focus on particular characters or vehicles.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 27, 2020

Post by Pomse2001 »

Death Squad Commander / Star Destroyer Commander:
01.jpg
01.jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 27, 2020

Post by Snaketibe »

The 'Death Squad Commander', aka the 'Oh Shit, 'Death Squad' Sounds A Bit More Nazi Than We Intended, So Let's Rename Him 'Star Destroyer Commander' Even Though He's No Such Thing' :-D

Of course these days Lucasfilm have renamed this particular Officer the 'Imperial Navy Trooper' or 'Death Star Trooper', but actually the renaming of this figure is the least of its problems, IMHO. As a kid in the 1970's, this was easily my least favourite of the original 12 figures. I didn't really remember it from the film (which isn't surprising, considering Kenner really screwed the pooch on his uniform's colour, which should actually be black and not grey), plus I spent hours scratching my head wondering why he wasn't Grand Moff Tarkin instead, and quite frankly I found it a bit boring as well. The picture on the cardback didn't help as they chose the Galaxy's oldest pensioner (and one wearing space headphones to boot), to illustrate the figure, which hardly increased my excitement levels.
Renamed Commander - 12.jpg
Renamed Commander - 12.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 595 times
On the plus side, Palitoy brought the character to life on one of the panels of their excellent Death Star playset where they stood him before 5 of his clones, 4 of which they seated in transparent space eggs... Don't believe me?:
Renamed Commander - 11.jpg
Renamed Commander - 11.jpg (131.39 KiB) Viewed 595 times
This was also the figure everyone tried to (or wished they could) customise into a Rebel Fleet Trooper, on account of the unusual shape of his massive helmet (insert sniggering schoolboy joke here). But massive or not, his helmet was still the wrong shape and looked more like a weird ladies' hairstyle than a giant upside down wok.

Anyway, enough abuse of a 43 year-old toy sculpt! Dull or not, this figure has plenty of variants :-D. There are at least a couple of admittedly pretty similar sculpts, but his rank bar comes in all manner of different shades of blue and red. It can even be found in just red, just blue, or missing entirely. The latter is definitely a bona fide variant, but I'm still not 100% convinced on the solo colour versions, as they may simply be due to one colour rubbing off preferentially. However, my two examples don't seem to have any of the missing colour left on them at all, so in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I am classing them as variants for now. His grey torso is prone to yellowing on certain COO's, but despite that there are also different shades of grey to be found, especially (and most famously) on the dark grey Lili Ledy variant (far right in the line-up below), plus his face paint apps have some variety too, including a mega eyebrows version :lol:. And then there's the PBP 'Disco Boots' variant, with his 1970's platform soles. Sadly that's a variant I do not own, but perhaps another forum member can assist with that particular fashion disaster?

Anyway, here are my 9 different DSC's:
Renamed Commander - 01.jpg
Renamed Commander - 01.jpg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Renamed Commander - 02.jpg
Renamed Commander - 02.jpg (133.07 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Renamed Commander - 03.jpg
Renamed Commander - 03.jpg (121.09 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Renamed Commander - 04.jpg
Renamed Commander - 04.jpg (128.81 KiB) Viewed 595 times

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

Renamed Commander - 05.jpg
Renamed Commander - 05.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Renamed Commander - 06.jpg
Renamed Commander - 06.jpg (119.22 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Renamed Commander - 07.jpg
Renamed Commander - 07.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Renamed Commander - 08.jpg
Renamed Commander - 08.jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Renamed Commander - 09.jpg
Renamed Commander - 09.jpg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Renamed Commander - 10.jpg
Renamed Commander - 10.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 595 times

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Cazza »

Thread's off to a great start 8)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

quins
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by quins »

I liked this figure as a kid.
Was always on the rebel side though when playing
Got a loose i will try and get a photo of and this is the next moc on my list of wants!
Great stuff Snakebite!

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Nice @Snaketibe amazing informative post from you again. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

Thanks everyone :-)

Anyone else have some to share?

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Snaketibe wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:03 pm
Thanks everyone :-)

Anyone else have some to share?
I've got a Kenner 12 back MOC to add, will do it later in the week. Would like a Meccano MOC, but who wouldn't?! :lol:

TheJabbaWookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

I like this figure too. Actually very nearly my first little side focus before settling on Yoda. Only got a couple of variants now. Will add when have the chance.

TheJabbaWookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

Forgot I have pics of my 12 back to hand. It’s a 1SW12B . Nice MOC. Shame the blaster is loose in the bubble.
Attachments
68266C61-B14C-4703-9DE9-46321E3562CE.jpeg
68266C61-B14C-4703-9DE9-46321E3562CE.jpeg (230.38 KiB) Viewed 524 times
A6A81FA4-2A9F-482C-9815-991F78E31A0B.jpeg
A6A81FA4-2A9F-482C-9815-991F78E31A0B.jpeg (291.25 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:01 pm
Forgot I have pics of my 12 back to hand. It’s a 1SW12B . Nice MOC. Shame the blaster is loose in the bubble.
Terrific stuff!

Thanks for sharing :-)

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

That is a lovely 12 back. :)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Pomse2001 »

Snaketibe wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:56 am
The 'Death Squad Commander', aka the 'Oh Shit, 'Death Squad' Sounds A Bit More Nazi Than We Intended, So Let's Rename Him 'Star Destroyer Commander' Even Though He's No Such Thing' :-D

Of course these days Lucasfilm have renamed this particular Officer the 'Imperial Navy Trooper' or 'Death Star Trooper', but actually the renaming of this figure is the least of its problems, IMHO. As a kid in the 1970's, this was easily my least favourite of the original 12 figures. I didn't really remember it from the film (which isn't surprising, considering Kenner really screwed the pooch on his uniform's colour, which should actually be black and not grey), plus I spent hours scratching my head wondering why he wasn't Grand Moff Tarkin instead, and quite frankly I found it a bit boring as well. The picture on the cardback didn't help as they chose the Galaxy's oldest pensioner (and one wearing space headphones to boot), to illustrate the figure, which hardly increased my excitement levels.

Renamed Commander - 12.jpg

On the plus side, Palitoy brought the character to life on one of the panels of their excellent Death Star playset where they stood him before 5 of his clones, 4 of which they seated in transparent space eggs... Don't believe me?:

Renamed Commander - 11.jpg

This was also the figure everyone tried to (or wished they could) customise into a Rebel Fleet Trooper, on account of the unusual shape of his massive helmet (insert sniggering schoolboy joke here). But massive or not, his helmet was still the wrong shape and looked more like a weird ladies' hairstyle than a giant upside down wok.

Anyway, enough abuse of a 43 year-old toy sculpt! Dull or not, this figure has plenty of variants :-D. There are at least a couple of admittedly pretty similar sculpts, but his rank bar comes in all manner of different shades of blue and red. It can even be found in just red, just blue, or missing entirely. The latter is definitely a bona fide variant, but I'm still not 100% convinced on the solo colour versions, as they may simply be due to one colour rubbing off preferentially. However, my two examples don't seem to have any of the missing colour left on them at all, so in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I am classing them as variants for now. His grey torso is prone to yellowing on certain COO's, but despite that there are also different shades of grey to be found, especially (and most famously) on the dark grey Lili Ledy variant (far right in the line-up below), plus his face paint apps have some variety too, including a mega eyebrows version :lol:. And then there's the PBP 'Disco Boots' variant, with his 1970's platform soles. Sadly that's a variant I do not own, but perhaps another forum member can assist with that particular fashion disaster?

Anyway, here are my 9 different DSC's:

Renamed Commander - 01.jpg

Renamed Commander - 02.jpg

Renamed Commander - 03.jpg

Renamed Commander - 04.jpg
Ok I think this is the first time you do not have any good things to write about a figure :lol: I only had one of him when I was a kid and I was so bussy playing with him that I must admit that it was first when I got to old to play with him that I noticed he has the wrong colour :lol:

Anyway great collection that you have and thanks for sharing it :D

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Here’s my Kenner 12b, the figure had really bad frosting when I purchased it. I did the direct sunlight trick and it worked a treat, must be 10 years ago. Ok it’s a boring figure but I really do like the Star Wars MOC of this figure, looks top notch to me. :D
image.jpg
image.jpg (192 KiB) Viewed 468 times

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

theforceuk wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:37 pm
Here’s my Kenner 12b, the figure had really bad frosting when I purchased it. I did the direct sunlight trick and it worked a treat, must be 10 years ago. Ok it’s a boring figure but I really do like the Star Wars MOC of this figure, looks top notch to me. :D

image.jpg
Another great MOC! Congratulations on successfully 'defrosting' it... which makes it sound a bit like a turkey :lol:

Thanks for sharing :-)