SWTOTW, Week 28, 2020 Creature Cantina Action Playset

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Creature Cantina Action Playset:

01.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK Lars, the Cantina playsets are another category you didn't want to separate into their respective Kenner and Palitoy versions, so here goes...

I loved my Palitoy Cantina as a young boy. I truly can't adequately convey the excitement of being 6 or 7 years old and getting a toy like this, plus the weird and exotic cantina aliens to populate it with, and to recreate the scene from Star Wars! This, along with the other Palitoy playsets, form my fondest childhood toy memories. I spent hour after hour playing with them, and simply adored them :)

For anyone unfamiliar with the differences between the 2 sets, it's not just the packaging which is different. As with the Land of the Jawas playsets, every single aspect of the Palitoy Cantina is different to the Kenner one:

_ _ _ _ _ Kenner: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Palitoy:

Name: _ Creature Cantina Action Playset. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Cantina.

Base: _ Dark yellow, hard plastic, moulded bar & table, action features. _ Bright yellow, flimsy plastic, no bar/table, card-backed, no action features.

Doors: _ Brown plastic doors which slot into doorframe & base. _ _ _ _ _ _ Light grey cardboard doors with silver stickers for hinges.

Backdrop: _ Brown-backed, thicker cardboard, no cutouts. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ White-backed, thinner, taller card. Cutouts for fitting into base & doorframe.

Accessories: _ None. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Cardboard bar with plastic top, plastic table, 2 figure stands, action lever.

01 - Ken Cant.jpg

02 - Ken Cant.jpg

03 - Ken Cant.jpg

04 - Ken Cant.jpg

05 - Ken Cant.jpg

06 - Pal Cant.jpg

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Sadly I dont own one yet.........its on the list 😉

As always Jeremy, love the posts and your impressive sets, lovely condition 👍😎

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Ruby2511 said:

Thanks Russ. I've had this post prepared and ready to publish for quite a while, but have had to wait patiently for Lars to decide the right time to pick it for TOTW! :lol:

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Ruby2511 said:

Thanks Russ. I've had this post prepared and ready to publish for quite a while, but have had to wait patiently for Lars to decide the right time to pick it for TOTW! :lol:

Love the preparation and patience, paid off well 👍😁

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
OK Lars, the Cantina playsets are another category you didn't want to separate into their respective Kenner and Palitoy versions, so here goes...

I loved my Palitoy Cantina as a young boy. I truly can't adequately convey the excitement of being 6 or 7 years old and getting a toy like this, plus the weird and exotic cantina aliens to populate it with, and to recreate the scene from Star Wars! This, along with the other Palitoy playsets, form my fondest childhood toy memories. I spent hour after hour spent playing with them, and simply adored them :)

For anyone unfamiliar with the differences between the 2 sets, it's not just the packaging which is different. As with the Land of the Jawas playsets, every single aspect of the Palitoy Cantina is different to the Kenner one:

_ _ _ _ _ Kenner: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Palitoy:

Name: _ Creature Cantina Action Playset. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Cantina.

Base: _ Dark yellow, hard plastic, moulded bar & table, action features. _ Bright yellow, flimsy plastic, no bar/table, card-backed, no action features.

Doors: _ Brown plastic doors which slot into doorframe & base. _ _ _ _ _ _ Light grey cardboard doors with silver stickers for hinges.

Backdrop: _ Brown-backed, thicker cardboard, no cutouts. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ White-backed, thinner, taller card. Cutouts for fitting into base & doorframe.

Accessories: _ None. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Cardboard bar with plastic top, plastic table, 2 figure stands, action lever.

01 - Ken Cant.jpg

02 - Ken Cant.jpg

03 - Ken Cant.jpg

04 - Ken Cant.jpg

05 - Ken Cant.jpg

06 - Pal Cant.jpg

Thanks mate for another great post, 2 lovely set and I must say the palitoy set is the my favorite :D Great story from your childhood and cool that you got that set as a child :D I never saw this set in denmark, so I don't think it was sold in denmark :(

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Great comparison Jeremy. I think the Kenner playset is better even if the box artwork might win for Palitoy.

Here's mine. The contents are mint unused. The only problem I have is after reading the instructions is I might have to go and buy a loose one to actually play with it. Pressing the buttons to reinact letting Obi Wan strike down Walrus Man, and Han to shoot Greedo sounds like so much fun.

Attachments

• 0AFB04AD-F56D-4078-BFA7-7D68C5516D52.jpeg
    0AFB04AD-F56D-4078-BFA7-7D68C5516D52.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 892
  • F91EEA05-C49B-46FD-A4ED-3799F2BC397E.jpeg
    F91EEA05-C49B-46FD-A4ED-3799F2BC397E.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 894
  • 772647E1-00CB-4946-9F29-D682C135EDE3.jpeg
    772647E1-00CB-4946-9F29-D682C135EDE3.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 891
  • 8D6F49F1-C4F1-4448-A874-11E7CFEFF658.jpeg
    8D6F49F1-C4F1-4448-A874-11E7CFEFF658.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 891
  • 07CDDC61-2FC8-463A-B33E-0E40ECFA07B2.jpeg
    07CDDC61-2FC8-463A-B33E-0E40ECFA07B2.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 893
  • 0E3001CD-443A-43D2-B5D3-CBFB4E300E62.jpeg
    0E3001CD-443A-43D2-B5D3-CBFB4E300E62.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 896
  • 7F794C65-4AB8-423B-80CA-EAC692DBB57D.jpeg
    7F794C65-4AB8-423B-80CA-EAC692DBB57D.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 901
  • 6FA28F4D-1F83-40A0-B926-42E4A6497AC3.jpeg
    6FA28F4D-1F83-40A0-B926-42E4A6497AC3.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 892

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Great comparison Jeremy. I think the Kenner playset is better even if the box artwork might win for Palitoy.

Here's mine. The contents are mint unused. The only problem I have is after reading the instructions is I might have to go and buy a loose one to actually play with it. Pressing the buttons to reinact letting Obi Wan strike down Walrus Man, and Han to shoot Greedo sounds like so much fun.

That's a beautiful example you have there, Jay. Thanks for sharing it :)

As for which playset is better, the play value of the Kenner one is undoubtedly superior, and objectively it is the better toy... But I'm afraid my heart belongs to Palitoy, so that will always be my personal favourite of the two :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Thanks mate for another great post, 2 lovely set and I must say the palitoy set is the my favorite :D Great story from your childhood and cool that you got that set as a child :D I never saw this set in denmark, so I don't think it was sold in denmark :(

Thanks, Lars :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Ruby2511 said:

I am sure that you have them all prepared :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:

Thanks for sharing your playset, it looks awesome and cool to see you have 2 baggies for the set :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

Thanks, Lars :)

After comparing your pictures, I must say I more like the palitoy bar with the cardback of bar stools and the doors better than the kenner. But the rest of the kenner parts I like more than the palitoy parts. A perfect bar for me would be a kenner playset with a palitoy bar and palitoy doors 8) and I also like the palitoy box and instruction better than the kenner :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Here are my kenner playset, I still need a palitoy set :D

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

That's another fine example! We've had some good ones posted in this thread... long may it continue! :)

Best of luck in your quest for a Palitoy one.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Ruby2511 said:

Surprisingly, no I don't. I prepared this Cantina one after doing similar comparison posts for the 2 Droid Factories and 2 Land of the Jawas playsets. I wanted the Cantina comparison post to be in the same format, so I did this one early, but usually I do my TOTW posts when I find out what you've chosen for the new one. That's why I sometimes post on Monday; it means I haven't had time to do it on Sunday :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Here are my kenner playset, I still need a palitoy set :D

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

That's another fine example! We've had some good ones posted in this thread... long may it continue! :)

Best of luck in your quest for a Palitoy one.

Thanks mate for the very kind words

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Surprisingly, no I don't. I prepared this Cantina one after doing similar comparison posts for the 2 Droid Factories and 2 Land of the Jawas playsets. I wanted the Cantina comparison post to be in the same format, so I did this one early, but usually I do my TOTW posts when I find out what you've chosen for the new one. That's why I sometimes post on Monday; it means I haven't had time to do it on Sunday :)

Thanks mate for give us the update, I was so sure about that you have done them a long time ago since you are so fast to share all this great info, how do you do it in only one day ? :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom