IMG_2023.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_2039.JPG
    IMG_2039.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,024

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Yoda! Quite simply one of my favourite figures. I think he's fabulous! At first glance, parents (and some kids!) back in the eighties might have thought this was poor value for money, since it cost the same as the other larger figures. However, that is to ignore the fact that, firstly, the sculpt is terrific (one of the vintage line's very best, IMHO), and secondly, no figure ever came with more accessories! Count them, there's 4 of them! That makes Yoda joint top on the accessory count front alongside Leia Endor and Squid Head, but those last two were from Jedi. Yoda came not only first, but years earlier, and eclipsed all of his fellow ESB figures on the accessory front with his Gimer stick, belt, cloak and hissing necklace ;-)

So yes, Yoda is tiny, but he's got it where it counts, and he's also got it on the variant front too! Jay will doubtless be able to enlighten us further with regards to sculpts and their factories of origin, so I will bow to his superior knowledge on that front. However, what I do know is that he came in lots of different shades of green (Yoda, not Jay), from very light green, to grey green, to darker green, to bright 'apple' green, to dark PBP / Lili Ledy green. There's a veritable spectrum of greenery to be had! And then there's his snake and stick which also come in different shades! Fabulous stuff!

Here's my spectrum, from left to right:

Palitoy 30 Back, light green with light brown eyes, light green with cherry eyes, darker green with dark brown snake, darker green with light brown snake, darker green with green snake, brighter darker green with orange snake (a Kenner issue, I think!), grey head, Poch 'apple' green (at least I think this is what is commonly referred to as 'apple' green, but please correct me if I'm wrong), and lastly a PBP (which again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe is almost identical to the Lili Ledy Yoda).

And lastly, on the carded front, I have a Kenner 32B (the very first ESB card I bought when I got back into collecting again in the 90's) and a Palitoy 30 back reseal.

It's Not Easy Being Green - 01.jpg

It's Not Easy Being Green - 02.jpg

It's Not Easy Being Green - 03.jpg

It's Not Easy Being Green - 04.jpg

It's Not Easy Being Green - 05.jpg

It's Not Easy Being Green - 06.jpg

It's Not Easy Being Green - 07.jpg

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Yoda! Quite simply one of my favourite figures. I think he's fabulous! At first glance, parents (and some kids!) back in the eighties might have thought this was poor value for money, since it cost the same as the other larger figures. However, that is to ignore the fact that, firstly, the sculpt is terrific (one of the vintage line's very best, IMHO), and secondly, no figure ever came with more accessories! Count them, there's 4 of them! That makes Yoda joint top on the accessory count front alongside Leia Endor and Squid Head, but those last two were from Jedi. Yoda came not only first, but years earlier, and eclipsed all of his fellow ESB figures on the accessory front with his Gimer stick, belt, cloak and hissing necklace ;-)

So yes, Yoda is tiny, but he's got it where it counts, and he's also got it on the variant front too! Jay will doubtless be able to enlighten us further with regards to sculpts and their factories of origin, so I will bow to his superior knowledge on that front. However, what I do know is that he came in lots of different shades of green (Yoda, not Jay), from very light green, to grey green, to darker green, to bright 'apple' green, to dark PBP / Lili Ledy green. There's a veritable spectrum of greenery to be had! And then there's his snake and stick which also come in different shades! Fabulous stuff!

Palitoy 30 Back, light green with light brown eyes, light green with cherry eyes, darker green with dark brown snake, darker green with light brown snake, darker green with green snake, brighter darker green with orange snake (a Kenner issue, I think!), grey head, Poch 'apple' green (at least I think this is what is commonly referred to as 'apple' green, but please correct me if I'm wrong), and lastly a PBP (which again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe is almost identical to the Lili Ledy Yoda).

And lastly, on the carded front, I have a Kenner 32B (the very first ESB card I bought when I got back into collecting again in the 90's) and a Palitoy 30 back reseal.

Wow amazing

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Heres mine, a recent acquisition and have enjoyed getting the original parts needed to complete him 👍😎

20200716_115745.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
A great array of Yoda's so far, nice "spectrum of Yoda's" Jeremy. 8)

Here are my couple of loose and MOC.

***Absoultly no idea why Yoda MOC has decided to lay down*** :)

Attachments

• 4B3473AB-B697-47FF-91A6-641C5547B245.jpeg
    4B3473AB-B697-47FF-91A6-641C5547B245.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 958
  • 4C3160AD-D734-4B21-BC50-45DFF1B14A2F.jpeg
    4C3160AD-D734-4B21-BC50-45DFF1B14A2F.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 949
  • 2EEFB322-7820-4201-8F65-5115D4E60B57.jpeg
    2EEFB322-7820-4201-8F65-5115D4E60B57.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 950

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:

Thanks Nick. Those are some nice examples of your own... As for why your card is laying down, did it get knocked over when the mice got at it? ;-)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:

Thanks mate for all the great info, Yoda is one of my favorite figures. Beautiful army of yoda figures that you have :D I also love the moc and the palitoy reseal :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Ruby2511 said:
Heres mine, a recent acquisition and have enjoyed getting the original parts needed to complete him 👍😎

20200716_115745.jpg

nice yoda figure, thanks for sharing it and congratulations with getting the parts :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:

Thanks mate for sharing that moc and those figures, they look great :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Yoda is my favourite figure. As Jeremy says what's not to like? He has so many accessories and so many variants.

I'll start off by posting a link to the coo guide created by the might Wolff as this will help identify what the f**k I'm talking about :lol:
https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/esb/yoda/#a

Smile
First up is Smile factory (family III on Wolff's excellent coo guide). There are actually three known variations of the Coo with a 1a, 1b and 1c.

Smile is simples really. There is the early Orange Snake figure which debuted on the 32 cards and ended with the 41 back; and there's the brown snake which first appeared on the 41d and ran to the end of the run.

The light coloured Yoda should be paired with the Orange Snake and light brown cane, while the dark green Yoda (often affectionately called the Pac-Man Yoda because of the shape of his eyes) should be paired with the brown snake and darker brown cane. There is a variant of the dark green Yoda with light paint apps on the limbs (the figure on the right of my three below. This also happens to have the Family III 1c coo not shown on Wolff's coo guide - I'll see if I can add a pic at a later date).

Both the Orange and brown Smile snakes can be identified and differentiated from the Unitoy snake by a gate scar found on the side of the snake as opposed to a sprue found in the mouths of the Unitoy snakes. The Smile Orange Snake is rigid, while the Smile brown snake is rubbery.

The Smile factory cane can be identified and differentiated from the Unitoy cane because of a lack of detail on the reverse of the cane. I believe it is always narrow whereas the Unitoy cane is often wide but can be narrow, but always has more detail.

The belt is thinner than both the Unitoys and Kader variants and can be identified by the circular epms found on the belt strap itself. The Smile Yoda can be found with belt version 1, 3, 4 and 6 on TIG.

Attachments

• 02965A94-1624-4814-B1F6-8A8A0465FDF7.jpeg
    02965A94-1624-4814-B1F6-8A8A0465FDF7.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 709
  • 2F23AA64-4C7C-4C73-BA90-F4E80A8C2380.jpeg
    2F23AA64-4C7C-4C73-BA90-F4E80A8C2380.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 715

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Unitoys

This is family II on Wolff's guide. Unitoys began with what is affectionately termed the "Cherry Eyes" Yoda which debuted on the 32 backs. It is called this because the eyes are a darker cherry coloured. This figure is often but not always found with a MADE IN HONG KONG paper tag inside the cloak. It is unclear if it was originally in all of them since the paper is very fragile and can easily disintegrate.

After this, Unitoys switched to the standard Orange Snake Yoda with lighter orange eyes and did away with the paper tag, before switching again on the 41 backs to the darker green Yoda. It is particularly interesting with Unitoys as this led to what we now call the "Apple" Yoda because of his bright green appearance. The transition took place on the 41d cards where you can find the transition Apple with dark green paint apps, dark brown cane but rigid Orange Snake, and later the more desirable version with the rigid brown snake. After this Unitoys stopped producing Yoda's and the moulds were later sent to Kader to produce the POTF, Meccano and European No Coo figures.

As mentioned previously the Unitoys snakes can be differentiated from the Smile factory snakes as they have a sprue in the mouth as opposed to a gate scar on the side. The Unitoys brown snake is rigid as opposed to the rubbery feel of the Smile snake.

The canes are generally but not always wider than the Smile equivalent and have more detail on the back. The belts are thicker than the Smile belts and have three holes in the back on the pouches and lightsaber holder. The Apple cloaks are made from a long pile material which is different to all other cloaks.

Attachments

• 13CB2020-A52A-49AF-88A9-3FFC27C051B4.jpeg
    13CB2020-A52A-49AF-88A9-3FFC27C051B4.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 710
  • 66D1B034-0C6E-4132-B3D1-40F12231F105.jpeg
    66D1B034-0C6E-4132-B3D1-40F12231F105.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 711
  • 63FC5FB2-0E5E-46E0-B61E-642C8F102371.jpeg
    63FC5FB2-0E5E-46E0-B61E-642C8F102371.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 710
  • B9B91DB4-2994-4511-9611-A8E8C0110A2F.jpeg
    B9B91DB4-2994-4511-9611-A8E8C0110A2F.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 710
  • 00761C91-C73E-4D00-9A78-286AD6CC1969.jpeg
    00761C91-C73E-4D00-9A78-286AD6CC1969.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 708
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom