Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 44, 2020

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Sand People / Tusken Raider:

01.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Sand People... or Sandpeople... or Tusken Raiders... Kenner never could quite decide on what to call this figure, so they gave it many different names, which might perhaps explain why they made so many different variants of it! It was one of the original 12 figures released of course, and for that reason alone it will always hold a special place in my heart, but it was never exactly a great likeness. Not that that mattered one jot to the 6 year-old me when I first got my grubby little paws on one back in 1978 :-D. Back then, I remember thinking the sandy colour looked a little off compared to the famous still image they used on the card back (which always looked more greenish than sandy to me), but I loved the figure itself! With its unique Colonel Gadaffi, sorry, Gaderffii stick weapon which it could hold with both hands, and its sandy coloured removable cloak, this was a winner in my eyes :-D

As an adult, I recognise it's not such a great likeness of the character, but it's still a good figure, and the variants!!! If you don't like variants, you're going to despise this figure! LOL. In addition to the now pretty well known (although it wasn't so when I first got back into collecting back in the early 90's) 'hollow tubes' variant, there are very probably dozens of different paint jobs available for this figure. The hands, belt and mouthpiece all come in a wide range of different shades of brown, sometimes all on the same figure! The paint on the mouthpiece can either cover just the front of it, or the sides as well, and the Gaffi stick also has a few variants of its own too! All in all it makes for an awful lot of variants, and I have by no means got them all. I do have a good selection though (although it's always tricky finding ones with good silver paint, hence some of mine are a little bit ropey in that regard), plus a nice Palitoy 12 back.

Here they are:

Sand Raiders - 01.jpg

Sand Raiders - 02.jpg

Sand Raiders - 03.jpg

Sand Raiders - 04.jpg

Sand Raiders - 05.jpg

Sand Raiders - 06.jpg

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Fantastic post as always Jeremy. Are you able to go into more detail on the hollow tubes? I always assumed this was a new sculpt for the Jedi line but it wouldn't appear so from Quins moc.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Another amazing post Jeremy and I must admit that this might actually be my favourite figure from the whole line. I just love the card art as well and have a few Palitoy reseals as well as a sealed Kenner 12 back. I don't have the hollow tubes but do have a few loose with various shades of brown and the Gentle Giant Jumbo version.

I'll never get one but I'd love to have the Ledy 12" version and strongly this is often the reseal that I've seen in the best condition out of all the first 12 Palitoy ones. I realise that they probably made a lot of these back in the day (and I think it was one of the last few released of the 12 backs), but it is strange how these often turn up in great condition.

Here's one I have from a childhood collection.

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_2206.jpg
    IMG_2206.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 775

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Clarkspie&chips said:
Fantastic post as always Jeremy. Are you able to go into more detail on the hollow tubes? I always assumed this was a new sculpt for the Jedi line but it wouldn't appear so from Quins moc.

I can go into a little more detail, but I suspect my knowledge on the hollow tubes variant may be incomplete. At any rate, what I do know is that it was released on a Kenner ROJ 65 back. Whether it was also released on any other MOCs, I couldn't say, but here's an image stolen from Google:

sandpeoplerotjhollow0127.jpg

And it seems only fair to plug the website that the above image was taken from:

https://www.dallasvintagetoys.com/starwarsrotj198365-backtuskenraiderhollowcheektubes.aspx

Forgive me if you know this next part, but for anyone that isn't sure how to identify a genuine hollow tubes Tusken, the silver tubes on top of his head are more splayed out than in the non-hollow tubes version, plus there is an additional moulding artefact on the left-hand centre one. There's actually a good post about it right here:

https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2440

Hope that helps :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Palifan said:
Another amazing post Jeremy and I must admit that this might actually be my favourite figure from the whole line. I just love the card art as well and have a few Palitoy reseals as well as a sealed Kenner 12 back. I don't have the hollow tubes but do have a few loose with various shades of brown and the Gentle Giant Jumbo version.

I'll never get one but I'd love to have the Ledy 12" version and strongly this is often the reseal that I've seen in the best condition out of all the first 12 Palitoy ones. I realise that they probably made a lot of these back in the day (and I think it was one of the last few released of the 12 backs), but it is strange how these often turn up in great condition.

Ian

Thanks Ian, and it's a great post from you as well. I agree with you about the card art, which I think works superbly well on the 12-backs :)

Yes, I've noticed too how the Sand People Palitoy 12-back is as close to 'common' as any Palitoy 12-back ever gets! :lol: There do seem to be a fair few of them out there, so maybe it was produced in higher numbers than some of the other figures, or maybe it just wasn't as popular with kids back in the 70's. I was always in the 'I want them all' category (nothing changes! :lol: ), but I'm sure there were plenty of kids who either didn't want them all, or simply couldn't afford them all and hence had to be selective about their purchases.

It took me essentially the whole of 1978 and 1979, and all of my pocket money (at least that part of it that wasn't squandered on tooth decay at the Sweet Shop), plus all my Christmas and birthday money, but I eventually had the entire Palitoy Star Wars line (and even then I had to do a swap to obtain a pinhead Han as I never saw one for sale, which is kind of funny given how relatively common pinhead 12-backs are these days compared to the balloon head Han, which was the only version I ever saw for sale in Ware Toy Shop back then ;-)).

Pomse2001

Grand Master
quins said:
Here is mine.
Yellow bubble and some veining etc but one of my favourite cards.

CD2854AE-1172-446E-A15F-44B80A964B20.jpeg

Sorry for the late reply mate, thanks for sharing this moc, it looks fantastic :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Sand People... or Sandpeople... or Tusken Raiders... Kenner never could quite decide on what to call this figure, so they gave it many different names, which might perhaps explain why they made so many different variants of it! It was one of the original 12 figures released of course, and for that reason alone it will always hold a special place in my heart, but it was never exactly a great likeness. Not that that mattered one jot to the 6 year-old me when I first got my grubby little paws on one back in 1978 :-D. Back then, I remember thinking the sandy colour looked a little off compared to the famous still image they used on the card back (which always looked more greenish than sandy to me), but I loved the figure itself! With its unique Colonel Gadaffi, sorry, Gaderffii stick weapon which it could hold with both hands, and its sandy coloured removable cloak, this was a winner in my eyes :-D

As an adult, I recognise it's not such a great likeness of the character, but it's still a good figure, and the variants!!! If you don't like variants, you're going to despise this figure! LOL. In addition to the now pretty well known (although it wasn't so when I first got back into collecting back in the early 90's) 'hollow tubes' variant, there are very probably dozens of different paint jobs available for this figure. The hands, belt and mouthpiece all come in a wide range of different shades of brown, sometimes all on the same figure! The paint on the mouthpiece can either cover just the front of it, or the sides as well, and the Gaffi stick also has a few variants of its own too! All in all it makes for an awful lot of variants, and I have by no means got them all. I do have a good selection though (although it's always tricky finding ones with good silver paint, hence some of mine are a little bit ropey in that regard), plus a nice Palitoy 12 back.

Here they are:

Sand Raiders - 01.jpg

Sand Raiders - 02.jpg

Sand Raiders - 03.jpg

Sand Raiders - 04.jpg

Sand Raiders - 05.jpg

Sand Raiders - 06.jpg

Sorry mate for the late reply :oops: Now that is what I call an army 8) thanks for sharing your magneficent army of tusken raiders :D I agree it does not look 100% like the one in the movie, but I think kenner did a great cop with this figure :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Tusken People - 07.jpg

Tusken People - 08.jpg

Tusken People - 09.jpg

Tusken People - 10.jpg

Tusken People - 11.jpg

Tusken People - 12.jpg

Tusken People - 13.jpg

Wow and a palitoy moc, fantastic item to have in a collection :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Palifan said:

Ian

sorry Ian for the late reply :oops: Thanks for sharing your collection that reseal looks fantastic thanks for sharing it and the figure looks very mint :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Clarkspie&chips said:

I can go into a little more detail, but I suspect my knowledge on the hollow tubes variant may be incomplete. At any rate, what I do know is that it was released on a Kenner ROJ 65 back. Whether it was also released on any other MOCs, I couldn't say, but here's an image stolen from Google:

sandpeoplerotjhollow0127.jpg

And it seems only fair to plug the website that the above image was taken from:

https://www.dallasvintagetoys.com/starwarsrotj198365-backtuskenraiderhollowcheektubes.aspx

Forgive me if you know this next part, but for anyone that isn't sure how to identify a genuine hollow tubes Tusken, the silver tubes on top of his head are more splayed out than in the non-hollow tubes version, plus there is an additional moulding artefact on the left-hand centre one. There's actually a good post about it right here:

https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2440

Hope that helps :)

Thanks mate for all the links, pictures and the great info :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
Here's my Kenner 12b, lovely figure this one. My lose one as well.

image.jpgimage.jpg

That moc looks perfect and the figures also looks great, thanks for sharing them and sorry for my late reply in this thread :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom