Wow stunning example but what a price

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Wow stunning example of the Palitoy Death Star Playset but what a price :shock:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362574681663

Attachments

• 4C5A0492-F1E2-4D76-AF47-8BC1D1A7332A.png
    4C5A0492-F1E2-4D76-AF47-8BC1D1A7332A.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 1,428
  • 26C7DDDC-F725-4B34-B098-9E985865A1EE.png
    26C7DDDC-F725-4B34-B098-9E985865A1EE.png
    200.6 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 5FE9A058-7EBB-4032-ADA7-DF324837303F.png
    5FE9A058-7EBB-4032-ADA7-DF324837303F.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 1,429

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Looks like the result of a race to be the owner of "the best example known to exist".

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
It's certainly a brilliant example, but I believe a few years back a sealed case of 4 Death Stars turned up and was opened, so I'm guessing those 4 case-fresh examples might be even better than this superb one.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
TK-7785 said:
Looks like the result of a race to be the owner of "the best example known to exist".
Yes on paper it looks like 2 people were prepared to bid twice as much as the others. Though of course you can not be certain. I've often put a high last bid in that hasn't registered because it wasn't higher than somebody else's last minute bid.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
TK-7785 said:
Yes on paper it looks like 2 people were prepared to bid twice as much as the others. Though of course you can not be certain. I've often put a high last bid in that hasn't registered because it wasn't higher than somebody else's last minute bid.
If I'd had the money, I'd have joined them! :-D

kingshearer

Jedi Master
It's far better than the boxed version I've got...think I'll have a little cry.

I seem to remember that those sealed examples only sold for a fraction of the final price here too, although this looks to be a stateside auction and the yanks seem to have unlimited funds.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
kingshearer said:

I seem to remember that those sealed examples only sold for a fraction of the final price here too, although this looks to be a stateside auction and the yanks seem to have unlimited funds.
I believe this piece was actually located in Roma, Italy, but the buyer may very well have been from the States of course. The pictures above may be displaying the sales price in dollars if the auction was being viewed via ebay.com rather than ebay.co.uk.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Snaketibe said:
kingshearer said:

I believe this piece was actually located in Roma, Italy, but the buyer may very well have been from the States of course. The pictures above may be displaying the sales price in dollars if the auction was being viewed via ebay.com rather than ebay.co.uk.
Your right, location was Roma, managed to find the completed listing in ebay.
He says the cellotape had dried and so he decided to don some gloves and check the contents - I think curiosity would get the better of me too!
Still, alot of dosh for something which you're never likely to set up and display properly.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
pmsbull said:
Hmmm..... my spider sense is tingling....
Perhaps I've massively got the wrong end of the stick here (it wouldn't be the first time!), but if your spider sense is telling you that I bought this, then alas, it has let you down very badly :-(

I take a great interest in sales like this of mint Palitoy Star Wars playsets as they are my favourite toys, and the Palitoy Death Star is my very favourite one of all! I would dearly LOVE to own this piece, but sadly I do not :cry:

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
Never been a big fan of these cardboard playsets, even as a kid I thought they were a bit naff which is probably why I had none, am I the only one who thinks they are a bit rubbish ?

kingshearer

Jedi Master
ChallengerFox said:
Never been a big fan of these cardboard playsets, even as a kid I thought they were a bit naff which is probably why I had none, am I the only one who thinks they are a bit rubbish ?

I loved to display my figures more than actually play with them, so official cardboard playsets were amazing in my eyes.
I never had a playset as a kid either but that picture of the DS on the back of a 20 back card would always fire my imagination. I only started collecting SW in around 1982 so the Palitoy DS had probably flew off the shelves years previously but it still didn't stop me hoping and everytime I visited the toon department store I'd prey there'd be one waiting for me. It was never going to happen so I just used to make my own very naff versions out of cardboard and felt tip pens - happy days :D

TK-7785

Jedi Master
ChallengerFox said:

I've never owned this one but have always thought it superior in many ways the Kenner counterpart. I wouldn't mind picking one up one day for a good price. But it's not as high on my list as the playsets like the Hoth Probot and Imperial Attach Base sets.

Mr-Trilogo

Padawan
ChallengerFox said:

I completely agree with this, as a kid I was fascinated by the Turret & Probot plastic playset but I would have never wanted any of the cardboard ones.
Nothing has changed.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree they look prett6 ****, but they are still one of the first Star Wars play sets released and a very cool boxed mint item to own. It's funny the cantina creature adventure set is a bit of folded card board!!! :lol:

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I can't believe there's no love for the cardboard Death Star, it's the ultimate playset from the 1977-85 line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom