Something weird happened

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I got in from work today with my phone battery dead, plugged it in to charge. When I turned it on I had a notification from eBay and receipt from PayPal saying I had bought a vintage Yoda belt!? I was watching it, but I did not buy it. When I looked, it was bought and paid for at 14.09 today. At that time I was flat out at work and my phone was in my pocket on silent. I did not touch the phone or go into eBay at all all afternoon. It's beyond weird!? I messaged the seller and told them what happened and they've refunded me. I just don't get it :eek: :?

lejackal

Grand Master
eBay will have a record of what device was used, if you make a Subject Access Request you may be able to force them to tell you as it's your personal data.
Very random. I'd certainly consider changing your password as someone could have completed a small transaction from a new device/ip address to create a history of that device being used to then make a larger purchase but have that purchase, and the associated emails, sent to them.

Vernon

Jedi Knight
Similar thing happened to me recently.
I supposedly bought a 12 back Han buy it now for $4k 1st thing I knew about it was when I got a message from Paypal flagging suspicious activity.
I contacted the seller SCARDS to let him know it was a false bid and got eBay/Paypal to launch an investigation. Luckily he refunded in full. They said nothing dodgy had happened so maybe I logged into my phone, then eBay, then bid on something that wasn't in my watch list whilst my phone was in my pocket. :(
My FB/Messenger account was hacked recently but I changed all passwords straight away. If it is a scam I can't work out how it works...

Taffius

Sith Lord
Robstyley said:
I got in from work today with my phone battery dead, plugged it in to charge. When I turned it on I had a notification from eBay and receipt from PayPal saying I had bought a vintage Yoda belt!? I was watching it, but I did not buy it. When I looked, it was bought and paid for at 14.09 today. At that time I was flat out at work and my phone was in my pocket on silent. I did not touch the phone or go into eBay at all all afternoon. It's beyond weird!? I messaged the seller and told them what happened and they've refunded me. I just don't get it :eek: :?

Rob,
Is your phone itself hacked? You mentioned flat battery, one sign of a hacked phone if battery use is through the roof.
It does seem very odd.
Do you have protection software on your phone like a virus scanner/firewall and a paid VPN service?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Taffius said:
Robstyley said:

Rob,
Is your phone itself hacked? You mentioned flat battery, one sign of a hacked phone if battery use is through the roof.
It does seem very odd.
Do you have protection software on your phone like a virus scanner/firewall and a paid VPN service?

No I don't think so mate, I've not had any more problems. The battery is not running down quicker. It just ran out, I forgot to charge the phone the night before. It's got antivirus built in.

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
A very similar incident happened to me in April this year!! I was watching a boxed Trilogo Sand Skimmer and about 2/3 days later was told-"Congratulations you've won please pay now!!!" When I spoke with PayPal and Ebay all was sorted-however Ebay told me that they were trying a new function whereby if you watched an item long enough they would go ahead and buy the item!! However my PayPal was still debited!!!!! What the Holy Sweet Jesus!!!!!!!!!!! Seller was very understanding but I was pretty agitated-wanted to kick the living sh@t out of Ebay!!!!!!!!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Paddy the Jedi said:
Ebay told me that they were trying a new function whereby if you watched an item long enough they would go ahead and buy the item!! However my PayPal was still debited!!!!!

That's interesting... I was wondering if something like that was going on but I didn't believe they could legally do that so I didn't follow it up. It's the only explanation for it cos I know I didn't buy it.

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
Hello Rob! I've been using eBay from the very beginning and it's honestly the only time it's ever happened to me!! Also had to explain the series of unfortunate events to my better half!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom