30 Back Fett

Post links to your own or other people's Ebay auctions. It is fine to discuss live auctions, but DO NOT post links to closed auctions for at least 7 days after the listing ends. See sales forum rules for details.
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

30 Back Fett

Post by Snaketibe »

OK, there's no sarcasm from me this time, but there is a lot of disbelief! Here's a Palitoy 30-back Boba Fett for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star ... 3972943276

An incredibly hard to find piece to be sure, and doubtless it will sell for a large amount, but look at the grade the card's been given! It's literally been cut in half at some point, and then fixed back together again, and yet it still grades at a 70? Come off it!

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: 30 Back Fett

Post by Lindo »

Does seem it is graded too highly at 71.4 to be precise , never did get what the "real grade" is, if anyone can explain I would appreciate it
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

Lindo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 am
Does seem it is graded too highly at 71.4 to be precise , never did get what the "real grade" is, if anyone can explain I would appreciate it
Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer. I am referring to the sub-grade the cardback was given, which was a straight 70... even though it's in at least 2 separate pieces...

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

Yes that seems completely ridiculous!

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Grant_C »

The last one did not sell 5 years ago as Craig Stevens sold his at Vectis.

lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

Grant_C wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:38 pm
The last one did not sell 5 years ago as Craig Stevens sold his at Vectis.
Although Mr Havens long winded sales post isn’t quite correct (neither is the grade) unfortunately we’re getting old. I just checked and that one was January 2015, 5 years next month :shock:

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Yeah 5 years ago, time flys. Is the card in two bits or is it a bad crease? Don’t think it will go for any where near k18.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

theforceuk wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:35 pm
Yeah 5 years ago, time flys. Is the card in two bits or is it a bad crease? Don’t think it will go for any where near k18.
I certainly agree with you on the price. It simply isn't worth $25,000 (£19,000). It's still valuable, but in that condition the 'Buy It Now' price is a piss-take.

As for the card itself, I definitely think it's cut clean through. If you look at the back of the card the cut line shows there too, just like on the front of the card:

Fett - 01.jpg
Fett - 01.jpg (134.83 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Fett - 02.jpg
Fett - 02.jpg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Plus, if you look at the edge of the card at the join, you can see the cut goes all the way through the card:

Fett - 03.jpg
Fett - 03.jpg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Fett - 04.jpg
Fett - 04.jpg (28.26 KiB) Viewed 598 times
And on the other side of the card by the blister, there appears to be a 3rd smaller piece that's been reattached when they put the jigsaw back together, but they didn't do it perfectly and so the 'c' of 'Back' is now slightly misaligned :-)

Fett - 05.jpg
Fett - 05.jpg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Fett - 06.jpg
Fett - 06.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 598 times
And yet apparently this cardback still deserves a grade of 70! Who graded it? Stevie Wonder?:

Fett - 07.jpg
Fett - 07.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 598 times

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by Lindo »

If the card is cut in two then any grade makes a mockery of the grading system let alone a grade of 70, appreciate 70 is a low grade but a card sliced in two, no matter how rare should be un gradeable imo
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

sparkysx
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by sparkysx »

Agreed, it's mental that this was graded, don't get it............

TK-7785
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TK-7785 »

Well, If Mr Havens had it graded himself it may be a case of preferential treatment I suspect. :roll:
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Palifan »

I would love to hear cases reasons for this grade as I thought they were the new player in town being fair with their grading. This surly shouldn't have received a grade at all with the card back being in what looks like 3 pieces although I'd also love to know the story about how this happened in the first place?!

It really does make a joke of the whole grading aspect of collecting but I'd be certainly willing to listen to any defence behind this as there maybe a story that makes sense for it (I am struggling to come up with one though).

Ian

SublevelStudios
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by SublevelStudios »

What an absolute joke.

I've seen some utter shite graded by CAS, and some real howlers including a 'Disco Boots' DSC described as an 'over-pour'!!! WTF is an over-pour? It makes no sense, and that's just one example.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

I've messaged the seller asking if the card has ever been cut and put back together, no reply yet.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

Yeap sliced right through, comfirmed through reply. :roll: