UKG 90 Han Solo Pinhead... REALLY?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I've just seen this auction for a very nice Han Solo pinhead. The figure has been graded by the UKG and has received the very high grade of 90, 90:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-...ad-UKG-AFA-90-90-90-GOLD-HK-1977/124025777709

Bear in mind that to achieve a grade of 90 for the paint, a figure must effectively be perfect. Well, take a look at Han's right eyebrow and tell me whether you think this deserves a grade of 90 for paint:

Eyebrown Raiser.jpg

Grade.jpg

I'm not saying the figure isn't in very good condition, because it is. But how the hell does this qualify for a grade of 90 for its paint? Not only is the right eyebrow not perfect, if you look closely there are some micro-rubs on his hair in the usual places too, plus others on his left eyebrow and right collar, as well as slight overspray on his black jacket from his left collar.

If it had been given a grade of 85, I might not have minded, but 90 is just ridiculous.

Lindo

Sith Lord
Tbh I think ukg are getting far too lax, I bought a ukg 85 yak face so thought yeh it must be good, and looked to be from the pictures, when I received it the left hand sleeve clearly had paint loss, imo it should have been an 80 at most, I like graded figures so I'm not keen on knocking grading companies but I find the iffy grades to be happening more and more, especially with ukg

jayums

Jedi Master
When I started collecting I bought an 85 grade C3PO...It had black thread tied around the limbs to make them feel tighter than they were. I could see the thread in the case and it was even easier to spot in hand when I smashed open the case!

Since then I've had plenty of graded figures and the obvious inconsistencies makes it farcical. What a con. I also get the feeling graders are lowering standards to keep customers happy / make more dollar.

And so many so called 'collectors' are complicit in the scheme. Get average run of the mill figures graded by the dozen, then sell on for quick profit.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Preferable grading has been previously highlighted on FB. On there it was alleged that regular UKG customers get preferable grades for repeat bulk business. In that post a number of suspiciously high grades were given for rarer foreign variants.

This ebay account is a regular seller of graded items. I have had dealings with him in the past whereby he has previously driven the price down on BIN items bought off me to be later graded and sold on at high profit margins.

olisuds

Sith Lord
Yeah I've blocked that guy on eBay. He was constantly price gouging me on graded figures. The prices I was selling at were the same as I bought them for or the same as the price of the figure and grading costs so I was not making any profit. I didn't mind him asking but he was annoyingly persistent and wouldn't give up. Then I checked his eBay listings and he was selling graded figures for nearly twice what I was. I wouldn't buy anything from him or sell him anything either for that matter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom