Opening "modern" Star Wars carded figures

Taffius

Sith Lord
Here is a question that I have pondered recently (actually first raised in vintage) and would love to hear thoughts on or gauge opinion:

When "does" modern actually cease to be modern as we know it (non-vintage)?

I suppose I feel its post Power of the Force original line (last 17). However what is the current feeling with POTF (1995 onwards) items and is there a generalised opinion that opening them is ok?

Should a new "near vintage" category be established (as some of these are 23 years old now)?

Should we start thinking about ethical preservation now before its too late?

I am really curious as recently, I was asked for my opinion on these POTF (1995) and I have thinking about it since and had to think quite hard!

What are your thoughts?

lejackal

Grand Master
The vast majority of potf2 onward is that plentiful I don't think it overly matters. I don't have stats to back this up but it wouldn't surprise me if more modern Star War, and probably others, was bought by collectors than kids.
There's probably an exception or two to the above out there somewhere but I couldn't tell you what it is

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
What Carl said...

And as already posted in "Another arsehole" in Vintage collecting chat:
I agree with Rich as POTF2 were "collected" from the start, they were rarely bought by children to play with.
That's why nearly 25 years later there are still loads in pristine condition and still cheap!
Remember these were going to fund everyone's retirement! :wink:

Taffius

Sith Lord
Great replies so far. The feeling I perceive is its accepted in general then? I dont collect them or cherish them but my initial feeling was on the fence after pondering it.

It doesnt affect me but like you state, there is a lot out there and I have never witnessed backlash on such a topic, but I asked because I didnt know if such a feeling exisited.

Taffius

Sith Lord
I asked something similar on another post, but Richard_H stated something that feeds into here:

Richard_H said:
I've had people refuse to sell my Ep 1 Figures as I open them. I've more than happy opening potf2 onwards. For me, modern is never going to be in short supply

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom