Star Wars Scalextric Prototype - Battle of Hoth Set items - never released

RobD86

Youngling
This is a reluctant sale of some very cool Star Wars Scalextric Prototype items relating to a 'Battle of Hoth' set that was designed, created, approved and shown at toy fairs, but then never released due to the previous Star Wars Scalextric items not been a big enough success. The set was to be based around Hoff and include 2 snowspeeders.

This group includes a mock up box that was shown at toy fairs, along with a fully approved final sample of the snowspeeder (complete with LFL stamp), a prototype snow effect track section, an early pre production snowspeeder body in black plastic, and an unassembled pre production body with Scalextric marks to base which have a spelling error (instead of Snowspeeder it is marked 'Snowspeeper').

As far as I am aware, the mock up box and track section are unique, the fully finished snowspeeder is one of approximately 4 completed to this stage (but all has different designs) the pre production black bodies there are likely to be be around 20+ of these that exist.

If you want any further details please ask.

I am looking to recover what I paid for this lot a couple of years ago - which is £1,500, so please no silly offers.

Thanks for looking

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
You'll need to provide some pictures to prove ownership.
The guys on here don't know you and you have claimed to own a fairly unique and expensive piece so I'm sure you can understand the need to provide a bit more evidence.

RobD86

Youngling
90C22AC6-6049-40E4-AA71-28F28EDD1E88.jpeg
2D9D16DA-5D32-4ABE-AF02-67DA7192D7E6.jpeg
6CE28070-BFAB-4278-9EE9-DF8C402F99F9.jpeg
691F29F8-DDE6-4906-85E7-F752F5303043.jpeg
A5815843-0A7E-408E-9469-951D0F2E2226.jpeg
300E00AD-2A79-454C-AEF1-133737F776AA.jpeg
884F885F-A99E-4F0E-97B8-6197F14AD6E7.jpeg
8950ED5B-3301-44B4-A34D-B17B830B305A.jpeg

RobD86

Youngling
Thank you Weasel, it's been a while since I was last on a forum and it's taken me a while to work out how to get photos on, hopefully they are visible now?

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Really awesome item!!! 8)

How did you get hold of it?

Should be in the Modern For Sale section though... ;)

Good luck with the sale.

RobD86

Youngling
Thanks for the responses, and apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm happy for it to be moved if necessary. I just had a quick look for the general sale section and was struggling to find it?

To answer the above question, I am an avid Scalextric collector, and collect a lot of general Scalextric prototypes and pre production items, I was lucky to have the opportunity of purchasing this from another private collector who had acquired a large collection of items from an ex Hornby employee - I couldn't resist the opportunity, I'm now looking at moving on a few items to buy a Campervan for the family - (it's apparently a bit selfish to have capital sat in my collection), but if this doesn't go, I'll happily keep it, It's a unique group of items.

As an aside, I am having to resist the urge of reigniting my Star Wars collecting, I had a huge collection of vintage items at the end of the 1990s which I ended up selling for peanuts, my full set of standard issue figures (including the last 17) I remember selling for a whopping average of £1 each!!

coomber75

Sith Lord
RobD86 said:
Thanks for the responses, and apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm happy for it to be moved if necessary. I just had a quick look for the general sale section and was struggling to find it?

To answer the above question, I am an avid Scalextric collector, and collect a lot of general Scalextric prototypes and pre production items, I was lucky to have the opportunity of purchasing this from another private collector who had acquired a large collection of items from an ex Hornby employee - I couldn't resist the opportunity, I'm now looking at moving on a few items to buy a Campervan for the family - (it's apparently a bit selfish to have capital sat in my collection), but if this doesn't go, I'll happily keep it, It's a unique group of items.

As an aside, I am having to resist the urge of reigniting my Star Wars collecting, I had a huge collection of vintage items at the end of the 1990s which I ended up selling for peanuts, my full set of standard issue figures (including the last 17) I remember selling for a whopping average of £1 each!!

ahhh i think most of us have been to that point... to re collect or not to re collect... that is the question... all i can say is... do it!! :D

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
RobD86 said:
Thank you Weasel, it's been a while since I was last on a forum and it's taken me a while to work out how to get photos on, hopefully they are visible now?

No worries at all. We get plenty of people on here trying to sell stuff who don't post pictures and are then surprised when no one is interested so fair play on posting them and good luck with the sale.

Cazza said:
Should be in the Modern For Sale section though... ;)

Yeah, it probably should, I guess I should move it lol.

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
Looking at this i'm really surprised that Scalextric have never done much Star Wars, loads of possibilities, speeder bikes , pod racers etc.

pmsbull

Jedi Master
Never released , huh ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scalextric-Scale-Start-Star-Battle/dp/B00BCU6XVW

stu70

Padawan
ChallengerFox said:
Looking at this i'm really surprised that Scalextric have never done much Star Wars, loads of possibilities, speeder bikes , pod racers etc.

They did do a speeder bike version, which you can still get, but I don't think they were great sellers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scalextric-Start-C1288-Battle-Endor/dp/B006ZVJGAS/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=star+wars+scalextric&qid=1565322177&s=kids&sr=1-2

There's usually a few on ebay as well.

stu70

Padawan
pmsbull said:
Never released , huh ?

That just look likes a piece of pre production artwork for something that was never released, no reviews of it, doesn't seem that it was ever available to buy, new or used, which is in line with what the seller says, made it to toy fairs and no further.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
pmsbull said:
Never released , huh ?

Well, you find one for sale elsewhere or one that's sold elsewhere. It was showcased at a Toy Fair in 2013 or so and a price set but it never made it to market.

This is a very cool item and I'd love to own this sort of thing. Tough one to price, I'd say, as it's quite a niche item.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
RobD86 said:

Rob, amazing item. Having seen the photos of the "finished" set it's a shame it never got made. Looks bloody brilliant and much better than the Speeder Bike set. How many full Hoth sets are there known to exist and if this is £1,500 for three bodies, single piece of track and box, what value would you assign to one of the full sets?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom