Rise of Skywalker: No Basic Figures

philliperry

Padawan
I keep hearing Hasbro are not going to release any basic figures at all anymore. Only Black Series and Vintage Collection. This is pretty annoying when you have a 9 year old kid who loves Star Wars figures. Kids cannot play with Vintage Collection figures. They're not built to be played with. Heads come off easily, elbow and knee joints are extremely fragile. So that's it. That's all Star Wars figures are made for now. To sit on the shelves of adult collectors.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Well that just doesn't make any sense...if it's true. Detractors of some of the Disney films were constantly being told that Star Wars is for kids so their opinions weren't valid. Catering largely to only adult collectors in the action figure market would seem ludicrous if that were true. Surely the bulk of Star Wars merchandise is being sold to new young/kid fans rather than a bunch of old farts. :roll: :lol:

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I might argue it does make sense.

Without sales figures to back it up, i would wager as a global market action figures sales are in decline. Kids tend to lean towards electronic and more interactive toys today and the style of play we enjoyed back in the day is no longer the norm. Add to that, the fact that a basic figure can cost £10 and require multiple figures to generate recreation style play, they are very expensive for very little return. (I stopped buying them for my son a few years ago, as they got one use, bits got lost and then he was back on the games console - albeit playing SW games)

I would wager the higher end figures sell into the collector market far better and thus remain in limited form.

Also with no new films for at least four years after this and streaming content to limited to build major lines around it wouldn't surprise me to see SW toys drop off the production lines and shelves more generally as all Hasbro can do is rehash and rerelease and that often spells the end of the line.

I think Lego will remain popular as it represents a different style of play (although i think the new ISD is pushing the limit a bit) and if they infuse more AR style play as they have with Hidden Sides into the SW sets that could be very cool.

Sadly outside of collectors and special markets i think the age of the action figure is over :(

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
I am for and against the move to ditch the line as it is, though i'm biased being an adult collector the 5poa movie line stuff does have a few pros'. One of the pros would be the vehicles that are widely available, some of which are not even done in the VC range. A good example of this would be the Enfys Nest speeder, its not bad at all and its reasonably priced to boot, yet its not available in the VC range whilst the figure itself is. I couldn't stand the earlier movie lines ie Rogue one an so on due to the abundance of really weird junk crammed in, nerf weapons as well? No thank you, but I'm biased being an adult.

The movie line itself isn't vanishing, just changing to 5inch (ewww). Id of really liked Hasbro to move back to the lines we had for clone wars and so on, the variety was amazing. Maybe the movie will free up room on the production line for the vintage collection and black series, might even increase distribution. yeah ok thats wishful thinking and makes to much sense for a company to do. :lol:

Just a disjointed side note, whilst I loathed the older toy lines the more recent Solo carded (yellowish front) I liked, much less clutter the font and layout was spot on and the figures themselves are rather nice. Even the paint applications are good, have a look at them and compare them to the slightly older lines and you'll see what I'm referring to.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I've seen what they are replacing them with chunky anime styled figures, definitely not for me, at least we still have the vintage collection and black series, I bet prices go up again now they only have us collectors to keep them going

philliperry

Padawan
Apparently there IS going to be a line of basic 3.75" figures. They're calling them 'Value Figures' and suggesting they sell for $2.99!!! I'm intrigued. Have they been wise and gone back to basics, losing the silly Force Link or build a droid gimick? Let's hope so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom