I want to start collecting but...

Diamond76

Padawan
First of all I apologise for any questions where answers may be found elsewhere.

As the title suggests I am going to start collecting. The problem is that there are so many variants of star wars figures I really do not know where to start.

My background is that I have been a star wars fan since I was 2. I had a raft of figures and ships between 1978 and 1985 and I played with them all so opened and box thrown away. From memory I had Slave 1, snow speeder and the rebel transport and maybe 40 figures.
I used to love looking at the back of the box (do they still do that?) at all the figures available and I would ask for the more unusual figures.
Unforunately my mum gave them all to my nephews in the mid 90s and they are no more.

I was hoping I could buy new figures rather than the 1970/1980 originals which would be much easier and cheaper.

Any help and advice would really help me.

Take care.

Diamond

Diamond76

Padawan
Having looked around I think the 2019/2020 Retro Collection might be both easy on the pocket and satisfy the need for the look of the original figures.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Sorry you haven't had a reply yet, it's not too busy in this modern sub forum. Yes the Retro figures are quite cool, they are obviously good value compared to carded vintage figures, but I think you might find that even 'modern' carded figures can be quite expensive. You may be surprised that with a bit of patience and effort you can pick up vintage loose figures for reasonable prices, eg all of these for £10-15 each:

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 09.39.53.png

So I wouldn't write off collecting vintage altogether if that's what you really want, why not start by buying the cheap vintage figures and then buy modern versions of any expensive ones as placeholders?

Diamond76

Padawan
Thanks for the reply.

I really like the original card and figure but it is a minefield and even cards with replacement Bobbas are expensive.
So I have bought Star Wars Retro wave 2, which includes Bobba Fett :D . It was £55 for 6 figures and looks very similar to the originals.
I have also bought a Mandalorian Ingot from Zavvie and my best purchase so far is a signed Jeremy Bulloch signed photo (with proof COA). I have bought an acrylic block magnetic photo stand and all in anticipation for the IKEA glass cabinet I am picking up today.
The plan is the 4 tiers of the cabionet will have a different theme (Star Wars, Planet of the Apes and then 2 x sport themed shelves (NFL and Football)

For the Planet of the apes shelf I have just bought the original 1968 Vinyl LP which is very rare and I have the Dr Zaius figure by Super 7 from Zavvie.

the NFL shelf will have a signed Raiders Wilson American Football and some existing memorabilia I have (hats and scarfs).

The football shelf will have the 1967 Man City V Spurs programe which was dubbed Ballet on Ice (City won the league that year) and this cost £4 from ebay :D I also have an original 1990 Subbuteo TV stand and crew boxed which was £15 delivered.

So all very exciting :wink:

Diamond76

Padawan
edd_jedi said:
Sorry you haven't had a reply yet, it's not too busy in this modern sub forum. Yes the Retro figures are quite cool, they are obviously good value compared to carded vintage figures, but I think you might find that even 'modern' carded figures can be quite expensive. You may be surprised that with a bit of patience and effort you can pick up vintage loose figures for reasonable prices, eg all of these for £10-15 each:

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 09.39.53.png

So I wouldn't write off collecting vintage altogether if that's what you really want, why not start by buying the cheap vintage figures and then buy modern versions of any expensive ones as placeholders?

I had the original Dengar Bounty Hunter figure...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom