Another baggie thread =)

Frunkstar

Grand Master
So who knows their apples from their pears then?, I have been mulling over this question for some time with 2 particular baggie types or should I say 4 in reality??.

IMO there are 2 Palioty baggie types which are overlooked 95% of the time as being Kenner issued ones & IMO 100% of the time when we are talking about the Bobba fett one in paticular.

I did not want to post anything about this till I was 110% sure that what I have considered to be fact actually is fact, this only due to cross referencing many many baggies of this type.

Please look at the photos below carefully & IMO it will become quite clear that what we take for granted regarding baggie identification is not always what it seems.

First up is this Palitoy baggie Darth Vader, SW-b on the SWCA??, no not quite, note the font is much thicker & not quite as defined at the edges as its kenner counterpart -

IMGP2031.jpg

IMGP2032.jpg

Below is an example of a SW-b issued Kenner baggie with a similar font -

SW-b-LukeFB.jpg

Seems like an open & shut case right?, well not quite as simple as it may seem, even though the baggie materiel is that same & the font is similar, the font type is clearly not quite the same, but its pretty self explanetary when viewed in close detail, that is till you consider the below baggie -

SW-b????? -

Palitoy-GamoreanGuard-verticaltext.jpg

The above is what would at first glance IMO be thought of as a SW-b style baggie, as the font colour & format are the same, as is the baggie material type, But its a ROTJ issued figure which would never have appeared in a SW-b baggie or far that matter any other SW issued baggie as the production date for this figure would not match by several years, coupled with the fact that this one came from a trusted source that traces directly back to Ex palitoy stock.

Now the one that is the real clincher & IMO the most overlooked & most miss identified baggie out there, the Boba fett mailer baggie(s) -

SW-d issued Baggies that came with early bird brown box multi-packs & also in the single figure mail in "free boba fett offer" -

IMGP2029.jpg

& Below the one that IMO came with the UK Palitoy issued card front "free boba fett offer" we were accustomed to seeing here in the UK, consider this if you think this is not correct - why are there so few palitoy baggied Fett's in circulation, even here in the UK?.

IMGP2030.jpg

Below a photo of them side by side as a comparison shot & also a photo of the bottom heat seal on both baggies which do not match.

IMGP2028.jpg

IMGP2033.jpg

Confused - You will be!, but I do hope I can go a little way forward in rectifying the overly long term confusion & miss identification of these Euro issued baggies that a lot of collectors seem to either scorn or regard as Kenner issued, which IMO is quite clearly not the case.

Your thoughts would as always be greatly appreciated guys.

Last edited:

Lee77

Sith Lord
Very informative Frank, thanks for that. I'm pretty sure that my Fett mailer Baggie has the blue MIHK text on it though. Ill check after work and get back to you.

**Delboy75**

Jedi Master
Your spot on Frank, there are definately different fonts and the bolder/rougher print ones do seem to be palitoy. It's a minefield tbh.

I think it's just a simple case of when and were they (the baggies) were made.

I find the older sw-b baggies that contain figures released during sw & Esb come in the thinner text ' Kenner ' bag, later figures released in the rotj phase tend to come in the thicker text Baggie.

Palitoy baggies tend to have the thicker, rough looking text (more bleed) but are so similar to kenner i dont think you will convince everyone.

The simple way i collected was this,
black txt MIHK Baggies:

Thinner text/neat = kenner
Thick text/neat = kenner
MIHK text but with lots of bleed = palitoy.

^^^ not gonna be 100% right but can be a good help.

Ive found the ones i classed as palitoy contained figures that were rotj releases, gam guard and emperor for instance.
I have purchased these types direct from palitoy employees too.

Good luck Frank, your gonna need it lol.

Djbighair

Jedi Master
Frank

I would love to impart some knowledge but as yet am still a novice even though my Baggie haul is now over a 100 strong. I use your guides for my knowledge base but if ever a time comes to question I will. A question to pose is about the tape seals, how much does the tape width or teeth marks vary from style to style, country and presumed manufacturer.... Go on answer me that one...

snaggletooth

Jedi Master
Frunkstar said:
Thanks Liam & Grant.

I was hoping to get a little more feedback/thoughts on this & the other baggie I.D thread TBH guys, no one have any thought or maybe some other baggie types to share?

Hi Frank, great info you've shared here mate and for me if you've considered this to be fact and Del has also confirmed he use to collect these as Palitoy then theres nothing left to be said.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
**Delboy75** said:
Your spot on Frank, there are definately different fonts and the bolder/rougher print ones do seem to be palitoy. It's a minefield tbh.

I think it's just a simple case of when and were they (the baggies) were made.

I find the older sw-b baggies that contain figures released during sw & Esb come in the thinner text ' Kenner ' bag, later figures released in the rotj phase tend to come in the thicker text Baggie.

Palitoy baggies tend to have the thicker, rough looking text (more bleed) but are so similar to kenner i dont think you will convince everyone.

The simple way i collected was this,
black txt MIHK Baggies:

Thinner text/neat = kenner
Thick text/neat = kenner
MIHK text but with lots of bleed = palitoy.

^^^ not gonna be 100% right but can be a good help.

Ive found the ones i classed as palitoy contained figures that were rotj releases, gam guard and emperor for instance.
I have purchased these types direct from palitoy employees too.

Good luck Frank, your gonna need it lol.

Spot on Del, thats exactly the same as I have it pegged, sorry for the mega delayed responce to this :oops:

Lee - I think you have (as said in pm) a MUCH rarer palitoy baggie there m8 & "may" have come with the mailer, but IMHO I think it must have been the black text one above simply due to the numbers, be so great to find a sealed mailer to prove the point one way or another though.

Rich - looking forward to it buddy!

Scott - Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom