BBC 1's Fake Britain / Palitoy market

Grant

Sith Lord
The worst of it is the Toni ( the ironing lady) will be no doubt reading these forums and has a heads up... about the show.

x-pack

Grand Master
Question: - if you were "Mr X" would you watch the show? :wink:

Personally I would be too ashamed to watch

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I think this segment will cause huge damage to a collecting genre which has already been on the ropes for a while. I know of someone who turned down an interview for this and he also feels it will do more damage than good. Im not saying its a bad thing, but the only people who will gain from this is con artists and the like. The word will be out that ANYONE can be fooled and there is nothing we can do about it. All it will do is confuse collectors-if AFA and UKG were fooled-what hope is there?

Its all well and good getting on tv and such, but seriously think of the consequences-this could well be a very, very damaging thing....

x-pack

Grand Master
Palitoy78 said:
I think this segment will cause huge damage to a collecting genre which has already been on the ropes for a while. I know of someone who turned down an interview for this and he also feels it will do more damage than good. Im not saying its a bad thing, but the only people who will gain from this is con artists and the like. The word will be out that ANYONE can be fooled and there is nothing we can do about it. All it will do is confuse collectors-if AFA and UKG were fooled-what hope is there?

Its all well and good getting on tv and such, but seriously think of the consequences-this could well be a very, very damaging thing....

I think these interviews are being given for the right reasons, but you make a valid point. At the end of the day the biggest con so far was apparently carried out at some point many years ago and is possibly still going on. Irreparable damage has already been done. The market is awful. So many people are questioning items now. Wasn't it great when we pretty much knew that everything we came across was real. Days long gone :roll:

This could go one of two ways - either it puts people off trying to sell their shite, or it presents an opportunity. Time will tell I guess.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Palitoy78 said:

Tbh, the damage was done a long time ago when Toni decided to start glueing cards together. It's all about damage limitation now.
I've done my very best to ring fence the affected pieces and document how to spot them on my cardback guide.

I had my reservations about this piece too, the community thought it was a good idea, and this was going to be filmed, with or without my participation,
so thought it better to be involved than not. Post filming, I can see that there is good that is going to come from this. The BBC are going to do a full
investigation and they prosecute where possible. They have the resources to do that, we as individual collectors dont have the time and money to do that.

The damage to AFA/UKG's rep has been done and we cannot ignore that. We need to move forward and get them to acknowledge that in their databases
and offer free regrading services for affected pieces.

Just this weekend, I saw 2 UKG graded Toni cards being sold by Space Junk Toys at LFCC, who refused to acknowledge there was an issue, and that I didn't
know what I was talking about.

In terms of the airing of the film. it's going to be 8 mins long on Fake Britain, probably during the day and also in an evening showing. I think you may
be estimating the reach it will have. It may well bring new collectors into the community, or people looking in their lofts etc. All publicity, is
good publicity. The damage to the collecting community is already done for those who buy and sell these pieces.

Take care, things will get better in this collecting space.

cheers Jason

Joe

Grand Master
At the end of the day, it's just going a 10 minute piece on a scammer..no different to the hundreds of "cowboy builder" programs we've all seen on TV and those programs don't stop people using plumbers, electricians or builders do they? Shows about scammers are meant to promote awareness and cautiousness and neither are a bad thing, especially in this hobby.

Besides, we all know Toni is never going to be taken to task for what he has done to the community so why not be happy that more people than the forums can reach will learn about all of the dodgy **** he has been doing.

spoons

Grand Master
Not sure about that Joe - Action Fraud seem to be taking it seriously.
I got a promising email from them the other day.

I won't post the details here but the police are taking this seriously

Joe

Grand Master
spoons said:
Not sure about that Joe - Action Fraud seem to be taking it seriously.
I got a promising email from them the other day.

I won't post the details here but the police are taking this seriously

I stand corrected and happily so, that's great news Andy! BTW got your email - top stuff!

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
mr_palitoy said:
Palitoy78 said:

Tbh, the damage was done a long time ago when Toni decided to start glueing cards together. It's all about damage limitation now.
I've done my very best to ring fence the affected pieces and document how to spot them on my cardback guide.

I had my reservations about this piece too, the community thought it was a good idea, and this was going to be filmed, with or without my participation,
so thought it better to be involved than not. Post filming, I can see that there is good that is going to come from this. The BBC are going to do a full
investigation and they prosecute where possible. They have the resources to do that, we as individual collectors dont have the time and money to do that.

The damage to AFA/UKG's rep has been done and we cannot ignore that. We need to move forward and get them to acknowledge that in their databases
and offer free regrading services for affected pieces.

Just this weekend, I saw 2 UKG graded Toni cards being sold by Space Junk Toys at LFCC, who refused to acknowledge there was an issue, and that I didn't
know what I was talking about.

In terms of the airing of the film. it's going to be 8 mins long on Fake Britain, probably during the day and also in an evening showing. I think you may
be estimating the reach it will have. It may well bring new collectors into the community, or people looking in their lofts etc. All publicity, is
good publicity. The damage to the collecting community is already done for those who buy and sell these pieces.

Take care, things will get better in this collecting space.

cheers Jason

Well Said sir!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom