important we must help the deprived collectors out there

ace

Jedi Knight
Profound statement
when we were kids wagon wheels were as big as your hand , now our hand are much bigger than the wagon wheels .
BUT
And this is the profound statement part
When we were kids you could not own every Star Wars figure as we did not earn money as we were kids and our present did not know or understand why it was so important for each child to own every toy and figure so they did not provide us with these essentials for a stable life as an adult.
so we are all damaged children that needs to be helped.
Now as an adult i am seeing the same thing and i do not understand why its not like the wagon wheel ? why are these figures out of most peoples price range and why can't we all have a complete set of figures and vehicles as grown people ?
Now we earn good money but these toys are still out of our reach ? this is not right
We need to be able to afford the toys we were wrongly deprived of.
These same toys cost more than what we earn for most of us so adults still live with the pain they suffered as children :-0
So whats that about wink emoticon i think there should be an investigation into this as there is something odd about this situation and someone need to get to the bottom of it before more adult children are affected and there children's children are also deprived .
This need to stop
Jason ;-D

Richard_H

Grand Master
A lot of the problems today are to do with the 'I must have this now!' mentality which existed when we were kids. The sooner the tourists quit the better. I've been seeking items for a long time, and I'll wait a hell of a long time more, to get the items I want at the price I think is right.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
It's no different.

When I was a 70's kid I spent most of my pocket money (disposable income) on SW toys.

I do the same today.

See, no difference in the principles really, just the values :D

x-pack

Grand Master
There would be no point in collecting anything if you could just go out, pick up what you wanted for next to nothing, and there you go - collection done. The difficulties in obtaining rare items come with the territory.

Even SW collecting in the early days seemed expensive if you think back. £5 for a carded figure seemed a lot in 1991

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah I often think a big part of the fun is that their is always something that is unattainable and out of reach. Then you spend years attempting to acquire it for the best price. Just my thinking anyway.

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
As far as I know Jason you have a huge collection.So why don't you sell loads of it really cheap and spread a little happiness. :roll:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
4156DB22-BA35-49B4-A0CB-2DF1EAE073B1_zpszfcvvl3y.jpg

Jason

ODB

Jedi Master
I'd love to know what is driving prices, I thought I'd get a couple of loose items tonight on Ebay and it seems I am completely out of touch with the current prices. Its weird, I don't proclaim to be any kind of expert but I can usually get in the right ballpark but at the moment but I am completely out of touch at the moment. Its just depressing.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Star Wars prices, as with every single tradable item on the face of the planet, is purely driven by supply and demand. The more that want it, the higher the price. Bog standard economics. They aren't making them anymore and, as demand rises, price must also.

It's not just an influx of new collector's though. Although there seems to be an influx of new collectors, I'll bet it's not nearly as high as you think when you take into account those like myself who have collected several times before, quit, then come back. Also, take into account those that just quit and never return.

Further considerations are:

1) Those that should not be named (u-graders). They are actively reducing the supply of carded figures.

2) Hoarder Collectors - Those that find that one of anything (or everything) is not enough. I'll bet there are more than a few here that have multiples of some items and have many examples of rare and desirable items and are buying still more. I don't believe these folks should be judged negatively. At least you know that a) the items will one day return to the market and b) the items will be well cared for whilst in their collections.

3) The purchase of the franchise: Although I initially greeted the purchase of SW by Disney with slight horror, I have to say......it feels right. Goddam I love George L for what he's done, but he lost the plot with the prequels. I may have only seen the trailer for E. VII but I felt like a 7 year old watching ESB for the first time all over again. The fact the sequels are coming will, inevitably, drive prices up; both through the increase in number of collectors and the perceived value of vintage items by existing collectors.

4) Investors - Related to 3 above. In recent years, thanks to the revealed flaws in what was perceived as the invincible fortress that is capitalism (we all remember the financial crash, right?) investors have looked for increasingly diverse areas to invest in. Although this may not be overtly evident in vintage SW collecting, I can guarantee it's happening to a small extent. This will, of course, cause prices to rise for the higher end and rarer products. I've seen it in the US comics market and in military medals, both of which I also collect. These are not after short terms gains but longer terms gains and this is what separates them from 5, below.

5) Speculators - There will be those who are already collecting and those who aren't that fall into this category. These buy purely for short terms gain whether that's buying today and selling tomorrow, next month or next year. Again, this will be linked to 3, above. The hype around the new film will have attracted them and they'll be here for the next 4-5 years at least, depending on how many films and stand alone films come out and how successful they are. You think it's bad now? Just wait until after EVII And Rogue One have been screened. If the hype is good then expect a similar scenario to what has happened with another Disney owned company; Marvel. They have published a schedule of films from now until 2028! This has sent comic prices silly with new issues rocketing in value overnight and some comics being issued with a dozen or more different variant covers. It's insane and dangerous for collector's who are forced to pay the inflated prices. This happened in the 90s with the comic market and it very nearly destroyed the entire market. Marvel very nearly went bust at one point. Valiant comics disappeared and closed down for year, Malibu vanished and Image collapsed in on itself. Most of these have re-emerged from the flames into new glory but are the very same companies at the centre of a renewed and re-invigorated speculation bubble. The collapse will happen again......

6) Inflation - Yes, we've suffered a few years of declining wages and increasing costs, but that (in the UK at least) is beginning to reverse. As we feel wealthier (you do, you know? Even if you don't realize it!) you have more disposable income and you have greater security. As such, prices rise.

I could go on but I think I've bored myself, let alone you. If you've managed to read this far, thanks. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Simon

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Can't disagree with anything there Simon. I also think a combination of 3, 4 and 5 driving the hype that is around Star Wars at the moment, which will only increase investor and speculator interest in the hobby.

I also think more people are collecting now. It's a bit more cool to be into Star Wars so you don't get greeted with the same reaction you did in the late nineties when you told people what you collected. Supply and demand, although the supply is never going to change, demand is only getting bigger.

Hopefully when the new merchandise hits, new collectors will go for that as it will be cheaper and easier to get then vintage.

Oh, and Jason, if you really want to help deprived collectors I would love a ledi moc or a poch. I can't afford them but I think if you gave me one of yours it would make you feel good and me feel less deprived.

Kenner76

Padawan
This thread has been an interesting read so far. I agree with what's been said, with increased interest and more movie hype on the way, prices are only going to go up in the near future.

I am grateful that I'm not just starting out and plan to slow down and enjoy the stuff I've accumulated over the years. I still plan to actively collect, but will probably focus my time and money on some of the more "affordable" stuff like cardbacks, loose figures, and possibly the micro line.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah some great posts, all make for a depressing future. :? :lol:

Better start saving up. :D

starshipriot

Jedi Master
Being someone who doesnt seem to have much money after my bills and rent is paid monthly, it does suck that I cant complete my collection as quick as I would like and the new movie coming out makes me wonder if I am ever going to be able to complete my loose complete set any time soon. But the fun is deffo in the search.
Since joining the forum I have managed to complete my original 21 relatively affordably, because this is a group which seems more fueled by the passion of collecting instead of greed. I have just finished my loose ESB line now mainly due to the other guys on here, so just have 14 ROTJ and 12 last 17 to go now so I'm deffo getting there. Saving up for a yak face at the moment and am hoping to get one before Star wars VII comes out as I think they will go even more silly prices then! But if everything was attained easily, it wouldnt be half the fun!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
starshipriot said:
But if everything was attained easily, it wouldnt be half the fun!

That's exactly it. If we could walk in to a shop and buy everything on sight, what would be the point? You definitely appreciate something more when you save up for it or have to spend years searching for it at all.

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
I think most of the thrill in collecting is in saving up, searching, finding, negotiating and unpacking the item you desire, after that you just put it in your closet or display cabinet and you know it's there or look at it once in a while.

So the thrill is in the hunt and not the owning of the item.

Like others said, if you just could by anything you like when you want for a easy affordable price, it won't be the same anymore and most won't collect with the same feeling/passion anymore.

sith-smith

Grand Master
But the problem is the word 'affordable'

I've been able to track down items and when I've been offered them I couldn't afford them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom