I have an original Hans Solo Carbonite figure from the movie set,

_Lee_

Sith Lord
chewbaccadave said:
_Lee_ said:
I actually work in Hertfordshire, and live in Luton :D

I have posted a thread with a link to this on the RPF (replica prop forum)' for more info as there are loads of builders over there.

My opinion (i havent studied HIC a lot mind) is that this may not be screen used for production purposes, but is a possible first generatiin cast from the screen used one. This is my own thought but lets see what the RPF have to say. Unfortunately, the paperwork/provenance has to be from someone with a direct link to the film, and auction houses made many errors in the past. 2002 was in the SW boom years, and people put their name to and forged anything to make an extra few quid. Im not saying its not real, because i really hope it is, but this would be one of the most interesting finds after the guy who found a screen used ANH trooper costume in his loft which was given to him by a friend of his parents who had worked on the movie.

Lee

It's a big WOW if it's the real deal but a nice change to see somebody not just post but actually reply.
Do you have a link to the above find? Please.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=95954

Trooper costume find :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Stuart7918 said:
Thanks Jason- this is very helpful. I will put up pictures of feet and hands.

Jason, I know for certain it's from the movie as it was sold directly to me by the Hertfordshire Film Link people who ran the Studio Complex from whom we have the signed original document) as part of a lot of other studio detritus - probably because the hand was damaged - the Leavesden people evidently put it into a remote shed with other props - they sold the entire contents to me with non Star Wars related items.

Being a big fan I kept it (unwrapped and unprotected) until I had time to fix it, which thankfully I haven't done yet

The back of the piece is made of wood (quite rotten through age ) but entirely original , my guess is that the replicas are rather more clean and tidy than this - which I suspect was used for one of the full face / body front shots, as there are no lights to the sides.

The screws and fixings are just not "licensed copy" quality - it's definitely original

Stuart,

I have borrowed your pics and write up on the RPF. It takes ages to get membership there, but i have it.

I myself am leaning towards cast from the original and not being screen used, however the RPF guys will tell you straight away. It may even be the IC version as Jason said, but it looks more like a custom homemade job to me.

Id love it to be real, but ill let the RPF decide. They have guys there who own prop stores etc and who own many original props from SW. Trust me, they will know.

Lee

Stuart7918

Youngling
I agree, I will wait until someone wants to see it, then they can validate it physically. In Hertfordshire - The provenance is good, but these things are always open to investigation especially as it's been locked away until 2002 and now for another 13 years

I would ideally like to sell it now, but once the provenance is checked and proved and the piece authenticated by the experts, I guess it will have to go for auction .

I would be so grateful if any other SW fans in this forum could spread the word and help me to get it to a new home and restored .

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Wow what a nice peice that is. :shock: Not for me as I don't want to get my fingers burnt.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Stuart7918 said:
Robstyley said:
Amazing piece! Looks like the real deal. The value may depend on a few things like: Is it really a genuine production piece? How many were made? Was this one screen used? Etc. There was that original Tie Fighter Pilot helmet that Prop Store valued at 50k not so long ago. I don't know what this is worth but if genuine it could be thousands.

Thanks Rob

Who do you think I should make contact with to get Hans out of a lock up in Hertfordshire (near the studios ) and get him fixed up, and into a new home. I can't eBay, I am working in Australia now and am inundated with "dodgy brokers" all I want to do is sell an original studio piece, that I guess is in pretty short supply. I understood that the model makers only made half a dozen of these, some which beeped and flashed, and a couple that didn't because they were the full face shots. It's one of those that I have!

I'll be honest with you mate, I only dabble in reproduction props and don't have the experience or knowledge. I would heed the advice of Jason and Lee and also wait to see what the RPF bods have to say. As people have mentioned provenance is everything. You ideally need to find out who made it and when.

chewbaccadave

Jedi Knight
_Lee_ said:
chewbaccadave said:
_Lee_ said:
I actually work in Hertfordshire, and live in Luton :D

I have posted a thread with a link to this on the RPF (replica prop forum)' for more info as there are loads of builders over there.

My opinion (i havent studied HIC a lot mind) is that this may not be screen used for production purposes, but is a possible first generatiin cast from the screen used one. This is my own thought but lets see what the RPF have to say. Unfortunately, the paperwork/provenance has to be from someone with a direct link to the film, and auction houses made many errors in the past. 2002 was in the SW boom years, and people put their name to and forged anything to make an extra few quid. Im not saying its not real, because i really hope it is, but this would be one of the most interesting finds after the guy who found a screen used ANH trooper costume in his loft which was given to him by a friend of his parents who had worked on the movie.

Lee

It's a big WOW if it's the real deal but a nice change to see somebody not just post but actually reply.
Do you have a link to the above find? Please.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=95954

Trooper costume find :)

Thanks for the link and it looks like i'm up late reading it all 8)

Stuart7918

Youngling
Hi

There would seem to be a very easy way of identifying whether it's a copy, or the licensed replica, or the original.

The back on mine is cheap plywood, set on really rough wooden battens,screwed into the sides with cross head screws, it's very badly finished at the back (where it can't be seen) by licensed products standards, so I can't believe anyone would ever try and sell this particular one commercially.

The inside is made of a particular material, if I could find out what the copies and replicas were made of, that would eliminate or confirm it to be either an original, or a hand made copy from the original. But at least it would eliminate the "commercial production/manufacture option. Perhaps Lee could let me know what the commercial production looks like from the back, so we can eliminate that or prove that as an option.

Because of the dates and location of the piece, it is possibly a hand made pre-cursor to the ones used on the set, or because it's damaged (prior to me buying it) it could have been damaged in preproduction.. But it certainly came from the prop makers to the movie as it was located in an old prop store in Elstree studios, (the provenance proves this) This could be established if someone has photos of the Orignials, (back , front and sides) and the licensed copies (same) and if I could find out what the originals were made of, because if they are nice smooth wood or resin on the back, and inside, then this isn't original, it's just a nice piece for someone to own. But the more I read, and see, the more convinced I'm becoming that it is either a complete original used in the movie, or a copy made by the props team at the studio. That was never used because the hand is damaged.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
....or it could be made by the same prop producer after the films for some unknown purpose.

Stuart, everyone here wants this to be genuine. I don't think anyone here has much, if any, experience in handling SW props, certainly not one of these. As such, you are going to have to search elsewhere for answers. You've already heard from Jason Joiner who has a great deal of experience in this field. He doesn't sound convinced. I'm not saying that's enough to right it off, or even close, but you need to speak to other experts such as The Prop Store in London, as has already been suggested. They'll be up to have a look in now time at all.

No one here is going to buy this for the kind of money I suspect you'd like and it's worth, if genuine. I would love too, but I have more use for my house than a prop and I quite like being married. Everyone here would very much like to hear the outcome of what you find out when you've spoken to the right folk, but just repeating you're convinced it's original isn't really progressing anything.

Best of luck. So want this to be original!

think Jason is correct on this. a limited run of these got produced
around 2000 ish. I nearly purchased one from ebay around 2007
but at £1000 it was to much and to big! as well as one I was tipped
off about in an antique shop a few years back.

Furtin

Padawan
great story guys and the best of luck to stuart!
The Prop Store isn't too far away and they are defenitely interested in finding out if it's the real deal!

So no more speculations - we all want to know! :D

itfciain

Grand Master
Hi Stuart - I spoke with one of the guys over here that has had a good deal of experience with props - this was his response

"I would tell him to contact Stephen Lane at Propstore. Would take some closer investigation. I really don't know. The Jabba set was in the UK but 2002 is very recent so that's odd. Posting to the RPF is good though and that may help."

Hope that helps - as Simon says, we would all love for this to be the real deal

Doomseeker

Jedi Master
Amazing if this turns out to be but not wanting to throw a spanner in the story. All the star wars films were shot at Elstree Studios, not Leavesden

x-pack

Grand Master
Like everyone else I want this to be real. Seems too good to be true though how it's ended up in the wild after all these years. One thing is for sure - I wouldn't be keeping that thing in my garage if it was the real deal (probably not in the house either)! Value would be astronomical and I doubt your normal home insurance would cover it :shock:

Stuart7918

Youngling
Thank you all for your suggestions.

We hope it's original but agree we need to stop speculating - perhaps someone from the Prop Store in London will jump on a bus and take a look Thanks all.

mumbo

Sith Lord
It would be amazing if it turns out to be an original screen used prop, good luck!

Luuke

Hello,
I'm an RPF regular since 1999. Long time prop collector and builder. I've done a lot of research on this prop. I used to own an Illusive Concepts HiC. I ended up selling it to Adam Savage of the Mythbusters (he's local to me). I'm 100% certain this is an Illusive Concepts product. The backside with slathered on fiberglass resin wrapping around from the sides, the way it's put together with wood screws. The side panels are the same poorly made solid one piece castings also attached with wood screws. The sides are warped, commonly seen in this product. All done exactly the same way the IC product was put together. As far as value? In it's current state with all the damage, I would say under $1000. Also, keep in mind that Sideshow Collectibles has come out with their own version of the HiC 1:1 that is way better quality for $7000. Sorry, but in my extensive, first hand knowledge of the original and in my opinion, this is NOT an original LucasFilm prop.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news. But the good news is, you can fix it up and it will still be a good prop piece to keep in your house. Let me know if you have any more questions.

subzero

Sith Lord
That's gotta be the most random reply to a thread this old, out of nowhere as a users 1st post..... :?:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom