TFA Destroys Box Office

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Passes $1 Billion.

Just goes to show how crazy that Avatar $2.7 billion is.

Agreed Grant. Thought Avatar was pretty crap myself and couldnt understand how it did so well. Its the power of media i suppose. I think TFA was always going to break records.

Lee

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
t's still going strong! Second biggest Monday ever (after its first Monday!).

Disney's Star Wars: The Force Awakens is continuing on its phenomenal trajectory as audiences on Monday just added another estimated $31.5M to bring the sci-fi franchise up to a gross of about $572.6M on its way to $600M in the next 48 hours or so. With another holiday weekend on its way — New Year's Day is Friday — the industry can expect to see the picture hit $700M as soon as this weekend. Monday's estimate is only about 28% off of Sunday's gross and is greater than most pictures make in their opening weekends. The film has broken pretty toppled every box office record, most notably reaching $1B worldwide in only 12 days. It has a current international gross through Sunday of $550.3M — and that is before it releases in China on January 9. We will update with final Monday domestic grosses in the AM.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has passed the $600 million mark at the domestic box office in record time. But that's frankly underselling it. The Walt Disney blockbuster became the fifth film to cross the once-fabled milestone, not adjusting for inflation/3D/IMAX/etc., doing so in just twelve days. For the record, the other five such films were Titanic (252 days), Avatar (47 days), The Avengers (54 days), and Jurassic World (36 days). So yeah, the new land speed record holder just broke the mark three times faster than any prior movie.
It is remains the fifth biggest grossing movie of all time in America, with just a day (or two at worst) to go before surpassing the $623m gross of The Avengers. After that, it's last summer's dino sequel ($652m), Titanic ($658m), and Avatar ($761m). The film earned a terrific $29.5 million yesterday, just enough to crack the milestone which represents a mere 5% drop from yesterday. Not only has it become the biggest-grossing Star Wars movie in America as of last weekend, but its current $600.9m domestic total (just past the original 1997 $600.7m release of Titanic) has easily trumped the adjusted-for-inflation totals of Attack of the Clones ($445m) and Revenge of the Sith ($494m).

Next up on that score is the "adjusted" gross (including a bunch of re-releases) for The Empire Strikes Back ($784 million) and Return of the Jedi ($818m). I would presume the original Star Wars ($1.4 billion) is way out of reach, but it's going to get a lot closer than I would have predicted even a month ago. Speaking of "adjusted for inflation," it currently ranks at 33rd on said "adjusted for inflation" list, between Ghostbusters ($593m) and the original animated Sleeping Beauty ($606m). If it makes it to, oh, $850m, it will have sold more tickets than all but eleven prior films in history.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I went again last night to the Chichester Cineworld. Couldn't believe it when I got there. We actually had to queue to get into the car park. Not had to do that in 4 years. The 1900 hr showing was almost a sell out and this is two weeks after release!

Incidentally, enjoyed it last night more than either of the previous two ocassions. My nephews, 7 and 1 (ages, not names), gave it 10/10 and 9.5/10 respectively. Even my brother who's not bothered about SW said it was bloody brilliant.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
_Lee_ said:
Grant_C said:
Passes $1 Billion.

Just goes to show how crazy that Avatar $2.7 billion is.

Agreed Grant. Thought Avatar was pretty crap myself and couldnt understand how it did so well. Its the power of media i suppose. I think TFA was always going to break records.

Lee

One factor is they made a big deal at the time about seeing it in Imax or 3D etc and as we all know those tickets are much more expensive. Here's a quote from the wiki entry about the highest grossing films:-

"Another complication is release in multiple formats for which different ticket prices are charged. One notable example of this phenomenon is Avatar, which was also released in 3D and IMAX: almost two-thirds of tickets for that film were for 3D showings with an average price of $10, and about one-sixth were for IMAX showings with an average price over $14.50, compared to a 2010 average price of $7.61 for 2D films."

They should really do these lists on tickets sold and then we'll see the real men from the boys!
Here's a list of ticket prices adjusted for inflation. You can click on tickets sold and adjust that for the tickets sold. I know GWTWind was a monster but a lot of the Disney reissue earnings pre-1980 were undocumented. Disney had a policy of rereleasing every 7 years, if the real figures were available i'm sure Snow White would be top.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?sort=adjustedgross&order=DESC&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Now overtaken Jurassic World and Titanic to take #2 in the US. Should clear Avatar by Monday night 8) All in just two weeks!

Will be first time in 18 years that James Cameron won't be number 1 in the US!

Don't think it will beat Avatar worldwide, maybe Titanic though.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Subjected myself to Jurassic World yesterday. If I had paid £1 to watch that film I would have been disappointed.

Avatar was spectacular for what it was. Other than that, it really didn't contain anything memorable.

As for Titanic. Hard to get excited about a film you know the ending of before you even see a trailer! OK, that's unfair; it was absolutely spectacular and I rather enjoyed it.

The above three films are seen as the successes (to say the least). But how many are talked about now for any reason other than box office takings? Even JW which only came out a few months ago, let alone in years to come.

TFA deserves to beat them all in every respect. I'll be annoyed if it doesn't. And more than a little surprised.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't think its possible to beat Avatar.

But I also think the ticket prices for recent films are skewed by 3D, IMAX, etc.

I wonder what the box office would look like if it was just done with admissions.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Be intersting to see how well it does in China, with a population of 1.3 billion theirs an outside chance in my opinion. The amount of Chinese who have access to the Cinema has increased hugely in the last 10 years. That said I can't see it beating Avatar.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
The fact Avatar made so much is hard for me to understand, I don't know anyone who saw it at the cinema, not one person including me.

Don't suppose anyone knows but did it make its money in the States or somewhere slightly different like the Far East?

TFA should do very well in China, I think it's the second biggest market after America for SW.

Joe

Grand Master
jedisearcher said:
The fact Avatar made so much is hard for me to understand, I don't know anyone who saw it at the cinema, not one person including me.

I'm not really interested in how much films make but have been following this thread since Grant posted it and I agree with you, I've never seen it and I don't know anyone that has..I remember there was a big buzz about it before it was released but it looked like **** to me so never bothered.

Quite astonishing to think a film that looks pretty forgettable actually made that amount of money :eek:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
The story was very ordinary (a rehash of Pocahontas crossed with Fern Gulley), but it was pretty watchable with decent characters, excellent action set pieces etc. The thing that sold it was the 3D, which was amazing. The environments, creatures, plants etc etc were incredible in 3D. I've never been to a 3D film before or since where the audience were reaching out to grab stuff etc! That said, still can't believe how much money it made internationally!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Worldwide: $1,510,765,583

That's 10 million behind Avatar Domestic US.(includes Avatar Directors Cut re-issue 30million)

Another 20 million and it leapfrogs Furious 7 and Avengers into 4th place Worldwide.

Another 160 million worldwide takes it above Jurassic World.

Not bad for 2 weeks and 3 days.

Another $100 million will take it above Phantom Menace, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back- inflated prices, which all have had re-issues added into their final value.

I know that people are not interested in monetary gain of the film, and I can totally see why.

But this film is becoming a movie cultural phenomenon along the likes of Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars Trilogy, Snow White and E.T.

It will not only effect our hobby now (look at all the new forum members), but the success of this film, particularly with the younger generations will effect the long term of it as well. Who knows it what ways.

and it still hasn't been issued to China.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
That's a really good point, actually. This will affect the hobby and it will be interesting to see how. In the short term it can surely only mean an unusual state of affairs where you see an increase in both supply and demand for vintage SW. Some of our peers will go rooting around the loft to resurrect their childhood collection whilst other will seek it out to cash in.

What remains to be seen is what will this mean for VSW in the long term. I mean when we start dropping off the face of the earth. Will the new generation of fans, those aged between, say, 6 and 13, want to collect the vintage stuff? Or will they only be interested in the new issue items? I guess you could debate this for years and only time would tell. Any parallels out there that can be drawn?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I guess we'll see what happens in China now, but judging by South Korea and Japan, there isn't as much excitement.

I don't think it has the international legs reach Avatar. The best it can do now is:

01: Pass Avatar US domestic
02: Pass Skyfall in the UK for number 1
03: Pass Jurassic World internationally

Massive achievement:

01: first film to pass 1 billion U.S. Domestic
02: pass 2 billion international
03: pass Titanic international gross
04: make Ben care about gross

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Well, it's beaten Avatar in the US now and only needs another 4 million or so to pass Skyfall in the UK 8)

I think it could well achieve all of those Grant, apart from 04, which is probably well out of reach! :lol:

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Its now just 14 places above ROTJ in IMDB.
Although IMDB has Lord of the Rings ROTK and FOTR above ESB and SW which is a joke.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom