TFA Destroys Box Office

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Your right. I would love it more if it smashed the second tuesday in february on a leap year sales before 10:30 Nepalese box office record that has stood firm at 5 sherpas and a goat since the 1991 release of Hudson Hawk.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
3 posts in this thread now Ben. You love it.

If TFA passes $1 billion U.S. domestic, it will be given the Ben Coomber Financial Gross award.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Star Wars makes history.

Number 1 U.S domestic film of all time.

I think this article supports what an extrodinary achievement this is in 21 days:

Walt Disney sent out an "It's official!" press release yesterday at around 4:30 pm, but yes, in case you need hard confirmation, yesterday's $6.2 million gross for Star Wars: The Force Awakens has indeed allowed the Walt Disney film to surpass the $760.5m domestic gross of James Cameron's Avatar. So yes, not taking into account inflation, the 3D bump, and the IMAX/PLF bumps, J.J. Abrams's sci-fi sequel is the biggest grossing movie ever in America. And yes, for the first time in 18 years, a James Cameron movie is not at the top of the charts. And yes, for the first time in forty years, a film not helmed by James Cameron, George Lucas, or Steven Spielberg is the biggest movie ever in America. It really is the end of an era.

If you want to play the "adjusted for inflation" game, The Force Awakens is actually the 20th biggest movie ever, just above Raiders of the Lost Ark ($762m) and just below The Sting and The Lion King (both of which made around $767.5m in "2016 dollars"). There are a couple things to note before we get bent out of shape about inflation. First of all, many of the films at the top of the list (Gone with the Wind, Star Wars, E.T., etc.) benefited from at least one high profile theatrical re-release after its initial theatrical run. Many of the older films existed in a time when films ran in theaters for years and when consumers could only see them in theaters. Moreover, in the days before cable television, the Internet, Netflix, and video games, theatrical movie-going was among the only means of mass entertainment available to most consumers, give or take radio and broadcast television.

It's easy to say "Well, The Force Awakens sold less tickets than The Sound of Music," but there was a lot less competition for your entertainment time and entertainment dollar back in 1964. In an era when we all talk about how young people don't go to the movies anymore, and that Americans in general don't make theatrical movie-going a prime part of their entertainment diet as much as they did even a decade or so ago, it's impressive, nay most impressive, that a new movie has not only become the biggest grosser ever but also become one of the most popular movies of all time in terms of tickets sold as well. That, to me, is the most stunning achievement. And of course it's not done yet.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It is an amazing achievement and I'm sure if they had used an origional story and came up with some new ideas it would have done just as well or evan better. :shock: So for me not sure you can say it's not George Lucas at the top, as it's a reboot of the original films for me. Not trying to start anything here just my very small opinion, I whent again last night to watch it and loved it. But the lack of origionality for me lets it down, I'm looking forward to the story moving forward, as well as some new and origional planets to explore, which I'm not sure will happen as were exploreing a Galaxy with millions of planets in it, but confined to landscapes from our own planet. Which luckily is hugely diverse.

As I said fantastic film and great job Lucasfilm and JJ. :D

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I agree, George Lucas is being drawn over hot coals for this. Its as if people are stating to dislike the guy and put **** on him and that really annoys me. Without George Lucas's vision none of the films mentioned after him would have came to fruition. Its because of the technical advances he made in the way films were made, that Terminator, Avatar and the like were able to be made.

Im glad that TFA has done well, and i said it would all along. And it did prove me wrong, and was nowhere near as bad a train wreck that i thought it would be. As i said, a solid 7/10 for me even though it was based around older plots.

Lets just remember though,that Lucas started this and its really starting to get vindictive towards him now. Without him, we wouldnt have had the childhoods we had and we wouldnt be here now....

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
It's now overtaken Skyfall to become no. 1 movie of all time in the UK. Only the second film to cross £100m in the UK. Also the only film to gross £50m in its first week and has the biggest single day at £9.7m.

Incredible 8) Has plenty of life left in it as well, so should take well over £110m.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I guess we'll finally see with China.

It is poised to take over The Phantom Menace (includes 3D re-release) and Return of the Jedi (includes Soecial Edition/Re-Issues) by the end of the weekend for inflated U.S domestic.

Even Empire Strikes Back and Ben-Hur will be passed soon.

Crazy to think that any film has made so much money and addmissions in such a short time.

Film history.

Looks like the new Leonardo De-caprio film might knock it off number 1 in the U.S. though. At least for a day, not sure about weekend.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, it's certainly slowing down in the States now. It should have a better Saturday than The Revenant though, so will be close. Original predictions were for a $40-50m weekend. Will be lucky to get $40.

I think we'll see the biggest drops in the next couple of weeks, as a lot of new films get released. I reckon it should chug along quite nicely for a while though like TPM did.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Regarding Lucas the negativity is not a new thing, it started years ago right after The Phantom Menace with Jar Jar and midichlorians as the main cause of complaint.

"Master Qui Gon Sir I heard Master Yoda talking about midichlorians and I was wondering what are midichlorians?"

If anything, I would say people feel less bitter now towards him as The Force Awakens has been a bit of a palette cleanser and given Star Wars fans something new and different to discuss rather than endlessly and fruitlessly going round in circles about what went wrong with the prequel trilogy. It doesn't seem like Lucas will make any new movies and so people will be able to remember him for his legacy - and Star Wars, Raiders and Willow (plus all the Lucasarts computer games which were incredible) that's some good stuff!

Lee Bullock

Jedi Knight
Lucas is good at somethings and not so good at others.

He is a great concepts and ideas guy and has a deep understanding of mythology, but I have said it before he is not a director or script writer. In fairness to him I dont think he wanted to direct the prequels but was lumbered with it. He had to many yes men around him to say "George - thats not a good idea" and Lucas needs that. I personally have been utterly pissed off about the internet whining about TFA - which I thought was a breath of fresh air. For me its all Star Wars - I didnt like the prequels so much but its all part of the same mythology and I wouldnt want to change that. Personally I think its a shame that Lucas couldn't be hands off enough to take a Roddenberry type role as Executive Consultant for Eps 8 and 9, but by his own admission he would want to take over, which I think is a shame.

I think in closing - I have an enormous amount of respect for Lucas - despite my past grumblings. I just think over 40 years he lost perspective and a lot of that was being surrounded by yes men who did not dare challenge his weaknesses.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I think he will be remember for tons of saintly things.

I think he would cut himself a lot of heat, just by simply re-issuing the original Star Wars cuts.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has earned an estimated solid $32.1 million in its first day of play in China. That number comes courtesy of ChinaBoxOffice, For reference, that's one of the biggest single-day grosses of all time in what is now the second biggest movie-going marketplace. It is just ahead of the $27m opening day of Paramount/Viacom VIAB +5.00% Inc.'s Terminator: Genisys and the $30m opening day of Paramount's Transformers: Age of Extinction. It is behind merely the $33m opening day of Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron, and the $68m opening day of Universal/Comcast CMCSA +0.00% Corp.'s Furious 7. Of course, it's possible that the final numbers may bump it above that Avengers 2 number, but that's an if/when. Obviously the next Star Wars film needs to be called Star Wars: The Age Of The Furious Jedi. Or they could just call it Star Wars: Monster Hunt 2.

For further reference, Jurassic World earned $17.7m on its opening day towards an eventual $228m cume. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation earned $18m on its first day, a record for a 2D release, and eventually earned $136m. Spectre snagged a $15m opening day late last year for an eventual $83m cume. And, of course, the sky-high Terminator Genisys opening day figure led to a massively front-loaded $112m cume in China. Like Terminator, The Force Awakens opens after an extended blackout period on Hollywood exports, which may mean that the figure is somewhat inflated in terms of long term prospects.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Disney's Star Wars: The Force Awakens crossed $800M last night in its 23rd day of release after a huge Saturday of $19.2M, +79% over Friday. With such results, Episode VII holds No. 1 for the fourth weekend in a row with $41.6M, down -54%. Given the fact that Star Wars is at 781 more playdates than 20th Century Fox/New Regency's The Revenant, plus the fact that more families come out at Sunday matinees than R-rated adults crowds, this gives the J.J. Abrams title the upper hand today.

and...

With a $52.6M two-day China opening this weekend, Star Wars: The Force Awakens set a new record as the biggest Saturday/Sunday Middle Kingdom bow of all time. The full global weekend was $145.93M and blasts it past Jurassic World to become the No. 3 movie ever at the worldwide box office. The global cume is now $1.733B compared to JW's $1.669B. The full offshore weekend gross in this 4th frame was $104.3M and lifts TFA to the No. 7 slot on the all time international box office chart with $921.4M. That takes it past Transformers: Age Of Extinction, Frozen and The Avengers and puts $1B within its sights this week.

r1hvy

Padawan
I'm not surprised that it has done so well, I suppose in retrospect I wonder why the prequels didn't do better. Phantom menace was the first film in years you expect the pure anticipation and nostalgia would have made it do better.
I agree with all those who will say this is a better movie but for it to comprehensibly beat anything that has come before it and for none of the most recent trilogy to be so far behind, is it the Disney effect or can it really be that the prequels sucked which to be honest I dont think they did, I actually think if they would have cast it better in certain areas they would have been really good. They were clearly a few bones of contention and the effects look tired already with all the green-screening but I still love them.
What do you guys reckon?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom