TFA Destroys Box Office

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I think the prequals helped TFA, becasue they were so unpopular and the way Disney made a big thing about going back to the old ways of making a Star Wars film. Everyone has been wanting a good Star Wars film for 30 odd years so you could argue the anticepation for TFA was bigger than TFM.

I think the Disney factor might have had a big impact on the marketing front as well, but who know's?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Crosses 1 billion internationally.

Has also just grossed more than ESB after inflation calculated in domestic US.

ESB also has a few re-issues and the Special Edition in its gross.

The Force Awakens:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $856,944,841 45.8%
+ Foreign: $1,012,600,000 54.2%
= Worldwide: $1,869,544,841

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
£113 m now in the UK! Previous record was £103m for Skyfall. TFA should reach £120, which would be a pretty remarkable figure.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Lee Bullock said:
Lucas is good at somethings and not so good at others.

He is a great concepts and ideas guy and has a deep understanding of mythology, but I have said it before he is not a director or script writer. In fairness to him I dont think he wanted to direct the prequels but was lumbered with it. He had to many yes men around him to say "George - thats not a good idea" and Lucas needs that. I personally have been utterly pissed off about the internet whining about TFA - which I thought was a breath of fresh air. For me its all Star Wars - I didnt like the prequels so much but its all part of the same mythology and I wouldnt want to change that. Personally I think its a shame that Lucas couldn't be hands off enough to take a Roddenberry type role as Executive Consultant for Eps 8 and 9, but by his own admission he would want to take over, which I think is a shame.

I think in closing - I have an enormous amount of respect for Lucas - despite my past grumblings. I just think over 40 years he lost perspective and a lot of that was being surrounded by yes men who did not dare challenge his weaknesses.

Thanks for writing this Lee as you've completely put into words my thoughts on Lucas and saved me the job of writing it myself :D

Ian

kingshearer

Jedi Master
While it's breaking box office records it has finally dropped below Return of the Jedi in IMDB's ratings. I can now sleep easy tonight.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I think it would do amazing although it would feel a bit weird having had the figures and ships for over 30 years prior :)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
kingshearer said:
While it's breaking box office records it has finally dropped below Return of the Jedi in IMDB's ratings. I can now sleep easy tonight.

Thank the maker.

I don't get why ROTJ gets so much stick. I loved it as a kid and I love it now. The whole Jabba's Palace piece, Yoda's big reveal, Luke realising it was his sister that gave him such a boner, Speeder Bike chases, epic space battles, father v. son sabre battle, Vader finding his light side. Holy ****, what's not to like?

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I know I'll continue…The Rancor, Sarlacc Pit, The Emporer, Han's Return, Lando piloting the Falcon and dare I say it..the ewoks…okay I've went too far! My order is SW , ROTJ and ESB.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Grant_C said:
Be interested to see how Return of the Jedi would be received if it was released now.

People would over analyse the 'science' and logic behind it and rip the crap out of it.

Maybe us, dare I say it, slightly older collectors who grew up with still a whiff of the proper old school sci-fi lingering in culture. And by that I mean Dan Dare, Buck Rogers, and Flash Gordon. We perhaps appreciate the 'fantasy' aspect of Star Wars more than some.

Somebody was ripping on and overanalysing 'Starkiller' base the other day, and I just thought a/ it's called 'Starkiller' base, I mean this is definitely Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon style fantasy. And b/ actually Naboo I think was meant to be something like a hollow planet, with the Gungans living inside and the journey 'through the planet core'. So you have a fantasy universe where hollow planets can exist - it's all fantasy anyway, just go with it!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Nearly $2 billion.

Read an article the other day on Deadline.com which said that currency exchange is poor at the moment because the dollar is strong. If The Force Awakens was released the same time at Avatar it would be at $2.5 billion.

I have no idea if that's true or how that is calculated. With 3D and IMAX, marathons etc, warping box office receipts, I think it would be better to gage the impact of a film by admissions instead.

You see, it's interesting to monitor this, so you can get some kind of understanding why loose red Snaggletooths go for £50 on auctions.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Nearly $2 billion.

Read an article the other day on Deadline.com which said that currency exchange is poor at the moment because the dollar is strong. If The Force Awakens was released the same time at Avatar it would be at $2.5 billion.

I have no idea if that's true or how that is calculated. With 3D and IMAX, marathons etc, warping box office receipts, I think it would be better to gage the impact of a film by admissions instead.

You see, it's interesting to monitor this, so you can get some kind of understanding why loose red Snaggletooths go for £50 on auctions.

I could analyze those figures all day and still make no sense of a 50 GBP Snaggletooth :lol:

Ian

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Reading through this thread, think it's done ok in the end. They should make more, at some point.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, have heard they're thinking about it ;)

Should comfortably cross 2b, but don't think it will quite catch Titanic without some sort of rerelease, like a lot of big films ( inc Avatar and Titanic) get. Think Titanic made around $300m from its rerelease!

Read an estimate the other day that would already have it at $2.5b if it wasn't for the global deflation. It's done really well!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
If it makes $910 US, that $150 more than Avatar.

Hang on, wasn't there something about Dinosaurs that we are suppose to pay close attention to?

They should give it a reissue with extra scenes like Avatar did.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Would absolutely love to see an extended version in the cinema 8) Apparently JJ doesn't Iike director's cuts though- hopefully he'll see the light.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/star-wars-force-awakens-crosses-box-office-milestone/

Impressive, most impressive 8)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom